Tuesday, November 07, 2006

The Story of the Night

... was not who won or who lost, but what someone did when they didn't win. Did y'all see the Female Vocalist of the Year announcement? Discuss.

(If you didn't see it, click here.)

The press room was very boring, which is what happens when the hosts win everything. It was dead the first 2 hours, then we got everyone at the end. Photos tomorrow, I left my camera cord at the studio with my laptop.

Shame on those who won but did NOT come back and do media. Two such offenders this evening, neither excusable. Maybe when you've won Vocal Group of the Year so many times, you don't have anything left to say, but you only go into the Hall of Fame once. And if you're lucky enough to be alive when it happens, then you need to come back and spend 3 minutes with the media.

Speaking of no shows... if I'm going to an event that is billed as the biggest night in the industry I work in, I would expect, whenever possible, that my husband to be there as my arm candy. (Which obviously, in my case, can't happen since I can't bring a date in the press room, but stick with me here, I have a point.)

And if my husband also happened to worked in this same industry prior to his retirement, all the more reason for him to be there and see his colleages. A reunion of sorts.

But if one of the 2 men credited by my husband as his biggest influences is receiving the biggest honor of their career, in the industry that my husband and I both work in, I'd damn well expect his arm to be there for me to lean on and for the national television cameras to get the shots of us clapping and cheering. Even if it meant getting a babysitter for the night. Seriously.

It was raining at the end of the show, so I only made it to two parties. The SONY BMG party was, as expected, incredibly crowded, held at the Country Music Hall of Fame. Lots of people, lots of stars, lots of chocolate. Had a white chocolate martini here. They had an Oil of Olay Lounge. Which was actually a pretty cool little hang. I got a goodie bag of products. Made my night much more worthwhile.

A much less crowded but more fun party was the joint party between Equity Records and Big Machine. Taylor Swift looked like a million bucks. Spent some time with Mark Wills, who suggested country music needs to learn to lip sync. Good calamari here, bad coffee.

So back to the female vocalist thing... let the spin begin.

11 comments:

Pam said...

Missed the eactions of the other Female vocalist nominees. Actually didnt pay much attention to the show. I kept either muting (Rascal Flatts, Kenny Chesney LOL) or going back into the kitchen to clean up.

Ho hum boring.

And I hate to say this but where in the world did Trisha find the butt ugly dress? She looked like she had gained 100 pounds. And I agree with you, BUTTHEAD should have been there. LOL

Sorry for the rant.

Best part of the night was Keith winning Male Vocalist. :D

DaveBrz said...

Now I have to find a video online to see what I missed as I had it on the TV but was wasn't paying attention at that moment.

DaveBrz said...

Nice reaction there, at least she didnt go WTF..

DaveBrz said...

Your not going blind, it wasn't there earier. The youtube link worked better here at work

Anonymous said...

I thought that while Trisha's dress wasn't the best one she's worn lately, it was still classy and understated, especially considering she was not performing. And especially looking at some of the outfits others wore... yikes.

Shall we all chip in for a babysitter next time? ;-)

Producer J. said...

Katrina is on Universal South, she had an album out and a high profile gig opening for Keith Urban a while back. They couldn't seem to do anything with her. She's got a new single now called "Love Is" that's pretty good, and the label is changing regimes... we'll see what happens.

Anonymous said...

Sandi I love you for being loyal BUT that dress was God awful!!!
Her boobs were lopsided. Who dresses her?? If she does it herself she should hire someone. If she has hired someone they should be fired!!!!

I thought the same thing about the husband not being there for "king' George!! ( did you know GS won't come to the NY area because he says there aren't any Country fans?) :P

Producer J. said...

God Awful is a very good description.

Of course, I've been harrassing her about all the cleavage she's been showing lately, so at least I didn't feel like a peeping Tom-ette. LOL But yeah. Frumpy.

Anonymous said...

Dave L.. Yes she does, but not too often!!! LOL.
She is so pretty and in the right clothes she looks good.

Anonymous said...

Dave L.. Yes she does, but not too often!!! LOL.
She is so pretty and in the right clothes she looks good.

Anonymous said...

Jo.. "not too often"?! :o

She's looked amazing the past few years, cleavage and all. And I'm betting the hubby's had everything to do with that. :P Even at her concerts she's looked great--self-confidence is everything. :)