Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Suicidal Deer

We interrupt your standard country music related programming to bring you this non-musical anecdote.

Yesterday morning I'm in my driveway, loading junk into my car, when I hear this banging. I look up and see what looks like a dog crashing into the garage door of my neighbor's house diagonally across the street.

As I watch it pick itself up and hurl itself at the door 3 or 4 times, I realize it's not a dog. It's a deer.

About the time I realize this the deer gives up on the garage door and turns around and heads across the street. Towards my daughter. So I tell Delaynie to get in the car and as we watch this very young fawn runs across the street and heads between my house and the neighbor's house. She's (he's? Didn't look...) no more than 5 or 6 feet from Delaynie.

Now what I know, and the deer doesn't is that there is a fence blocking her from going into our back yards, and behind that fence are 2 hungry dogs. Fortunately it's a strong fence, and within a minute or so she reappears at the side of the house and crosses the street again.

This time she targets the neighbor directly across the street from us. And we watch her repeatedly throw herself head first into the garage door.

How that deer even stood up after all that beating, I don't know. But after several unsuccessful attempts to knock herself out, she gallops off down the street. She disappears around the corner, and then a couple of minutes later we see her cross the street again and disappear into the woods.

The moral of this story is, that if you thought you had a crappy Monday... just think of the unsuccessful suicidal deer in southern Davidson County.

We now return you to regular programming already in progress. Up next: lots of Nashville Star scoop -- including the reason you haven't heard Melissa Lawson singing the song she (and most of us) really want to hear her sing.

6 comments:

Jona said...

What the heck was that deer thinking?? Or not thinking.. Hmmmm... I wonder why she did it lol Good she didn't meet your hungry dogs!

Anonymous said...

Weird... I'm glad the deer didn't decide to be suicidal by running in front of your car or someone elses.

Anonymous said...

The poor deer probably just wanted the woods, and her mommy!

I'm dying to hear the scoop on Melissa!

DaveBrz said...

Now the deer around my house rarely move when I come down the driveway. Glad everyone is safe and the deer decide to jump the car.

Anonymous said...

The deer around here are so used to people they rarely move as you drive by them. There is one house in the neighborhood that Jim goes past on his run in the morning, that always seems to have 7 or 8 deer just lounging in their yard.

Actually the deer around here are pretty wimpy size wise compared to the ones that would frequent out yard in Ohio.

We've also seen wild turkeys, a grey fox and we're pretty sure there is an armadillo digging up out front yard LOL .

Gotta love living in the Texas hill country.

Anonymous said...

http://www.allgarth.com/community/

join the garth online revival