Wednesday, October 07, 2009

The Comeback....

So as I last blogged... I've been a lousy blogger lately. I blame a couple of different things -- one is my crazy life, and the other is Facebook. It's made me lazy. It's easier to just throw out a line here and there when I'm walking through the parking garage. However, due to some upcoming events in my life, and the realization that a lot of people I really don't know very well have access to everything in my life including pictures of my house, I'm about to draw some lines in the sand. Basically, I promise to try to be better about blogging if you promise not to get upset if I unfriend you on Facebook. The work stuff will go here - the personal stuff will go there. Deal?

Another reason I haven't had much to say lately about my adventures across the Sirius XM nation lately is that I haven't had many. I haven't traveled in ages, and I've had almost nothing to do with what specialty programming has been created. HOWEVER -- I'm working out the details to hit the road soon.

SO... let's play catch up, shall we?

Miranda Lambert at the Ryman was AMAZING. The entire balcony seemed to be music industry and VIP's. Taylor Swift was there, front and center in the front row. She was like 3 rows ahead of the president of Taylor's record label. Everyone and anyone in the country music media -- we sat next to Bob Kingsley. I've read that Kelly Clarkson was there, although I didn't see her, nor do I know anyone who did. CMA, GAC, CMT executives -- if they had 3 letters, they were there too. Everyone at her record label. Really.... I've never seen such a VIP turnout.

After performing her new CD Revolution top to bottom (and if you haven't gotten this yet, please do yourself a favor and buy it!) she did three classic country songs acoustic. When she was singing Patsy Cline, she stepped away from the mic for part of it, and just let her voice ring out. Very cool. Then of course, she did her hits. At the end, she got down on her knees and kissed the Ryman stage.


Afterwords there was a smaller party at The Stage downtown. She came over and worked the crowd. I was able to spend a few minutes with her and introduce her to my friend Donna, who was celebrating a birthday. A good night.

Best #1 party I've been to lately, hands down, was Jason Aldean for "Big Green Tractor" on the roof of BMI. We did a 30 minute or so round robin with him before the party started. Jason told me prior to going into the shindig that I wouldn't be able to miss his family. He was right -- his little girls were in denim skirts and "Big Green Tractor" t-shirts. There were green tablecloths and potted mums, and green (non-alcoholic) drinks called Tractortinis -- served in martini glasses. Food was plentiful -- waiters serving mini-cheeseburgers and corn dogs, and a full buffet of munchies. And it was perfect weather. Love the rooftop events!

Seems like we're getting overrun with new music lately... I always ask what's grabbing you -- and I want to know that too, but I also wonder what is turning you OFF. I've got a song right now that just drives me crazy every time I hear it, because it sounds so out of place on country radio. Since I don't want to show up in this artist's google news alerts, I won't name names... but will tell you it's a remake - and the original wasn't country either.
Ok your turn!

12 comments:

Chris in Jax said...

J i m m y W a y n e ' s song?

Carrie with Children said...

Its gotta be that Hall & Oates remake with Jimmy Wayne. I can't even begin to tell you how much that song drives me nuts. It's terrible!

Oh, and hi, welcome back to blogging! :)

--Carrie in Jacksonville

Producer J. said...

Apparently, Jacksonville has all the smarts!

CARRIE!!!! So good to hear from you! Fill me in on motherhood! :-D

sandi said...

Oh! I love that song. :(. Odd, isn't it? But I do. Maybe cause he did it acoustic when I saw him with brad...and it was the best thing he did.

Miranda's album is amazing!!!! Also, pick up Rosanne Cash's. Stunning.

Pam said...

Don't care for Jimmy Wayne's new on, didnt care for it the 1st time I heard it by Hall and Oates LOL Can't stand Colt Ford's song or Tim McGraws last two, or American Ride, Or Carries new one LOL there really isn't much that's grabbing me right now.

Jona said...

Nice to see you back, J. It's always a pleasure to read about your adventures!

I have no idea what song you are talking about. There is no country music on radio here :(

I can't even remember that Jimmy did a acoustic version at the Brad concert, Sandi. LOL

sandi said...

lmao Jona! yep. just him and the guitar, at the end of the stage. :) i remember wondering why on earth i knew the words...and then i realized why. :)


what's grabbing me (since i forgot last time): Red Light, She Wouldn't Be Gone (you're still playing it!), I Just Call You Mine, and all the Lady A stuff you play.

what's not: all the Toby stuff that's being played (more than usual), plus (and i'm not sure how exactly to put this), it seems the music being played has changed. lots more older music on the Highway, very different than before. i keep to looking to see if I'm on 16 or 17. I miss the specials that used to be on there, too.

Carrie with Children said...

Mommyhood is THE best!!! Hard to believe that little Maggie Leigh is eleven months old! Things are great around here, I'm a full time mommy now, no more work for me. Woohoo!

I just realized after reading the other comments - that I'll have to hear that Jimmy Wayne song next week when Brad Paisley is here in concert. LOL Guess that will be a good time for a bathroom break/beer run. :)

A Blogger said...

Glad to see you back blogging, there are far few blogs from people involved in the country music industry.

Have you got any inside scoop on what Garth Brooks's big press conferences are about on October 15th?

Producer J. said...

Yes, but I'm not telling, LOL.

It's funny to me that people aren't talking about it in the media yet. For the record, we weren't asked to keep any of it a secret. But I think it's more fun to let things trickle out.

I'm definitely looking forward to Thursday and Friday.

Producer J. said...

Ahh... "a Blogger" is Britt, from NZ right?

Not nice to hide from a fellow (half-)kiwi!

A Blogger said...

Hi, yep Brett from New Zealand.

hehehe I will try and not hide from a half kiwi.

Yeah, Im guessing your right, its going to be more fun, just to hear bits and pieces trickle out.