Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Blame Jimmy!

I had an intern a year or so back that our running joke was always "It will work itself out." I'd tell her that for everything... because no matter how stressed you are, in the end, everything works out and we go on. Right? Right. So that was our little mantra.

Well today I was thinking of that a lot, because despite the massive stress and frustration of yesterday, everything worked itself out right down to the letter. It couldn't have gone any better. And all the channels involved were appreciative - I got a very nice phone call from one of our DC staffers who was SO excited to have had a session with John Prine and Mac Wiseman. It's nice when you get to make someone's day - but even nicer when they take the time to say thank you.

Even better, was my buddy Marty from X-Country, who had a large stash of post-Easter chocolate waiting for me at the studio today. ;-)

But get THIS.... one of the problems I was dealing with yesterday was with a bluegrass session I had booked for this morning at 10am. The group had originally wanted Wednesday, but our preferred engineer was not going to be available Wed. morning. So we booked them for Tuesday. Well, woops - turns out they had their schedules confused and it was really Tuesday he needed to be off. All I was told was that he had a meeting.

We tried moving them back to Wed., but Kyle wasn't available Wed. morning, and the band was leaving after lunch to go out on the road. And neither Kyle nor the studio were available later in the day Tuesday.

So much shuffling and we worked it out to bring in a 2nd engineer to do the Prine / Wiseman interview, freeing our preferred guy up to do our bluegrass session an hour later than our previous start time and enabling us to give 2 more XM channels a chance to talk to Prine / Wiseman. (That's a highly simplified version of what we went through, consider yourself lucky.)

Well as I mentioned, it all went off swimmingly, and as we were wrapping up I heard Travis, our engineer, telling Mac he'd had breakfast this morning with Jimmy Buffett.

I was sure I heard wrong. Or it was a different Jimmy. Or something.

Nope. Turns out Travis worked on his early albums, and the reason for all our scheduling shuffle was that Jimmy was in town and wanted to have breakfast with Travis.

Had I known that yesterday, it would have given me a much warmer, fuzzier feeling about all the hell we were going through. Of course, I might have been tempted to crash their breakfast too, which I'm sure is why they didn't tell me until after the fact.

I had a great interview with Miranda Lambert today. Will tell you all about it soon, as well as the new feature she's helping us launch.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yet ANOTHER missed opportunity, J! :P

Can't wait to hear about Miranda.