Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Next Stop On The Producer J. World Tour: San Antonio!

The first question everyone asks is... "Why San Antonio?"

The short answer is... "Because we can." For the long answer, keep reading.

So I have been sitting on a free Southwest Airlines ticket for almost a year now, which tells you how long it's been since I had a real vacation. It expires May 8th. So I realize that I have to go somewhere.

I had a couple of main thoughts. I've never been to the Sirius HQ in NYC, and y'all know I love the Big Apple. So I thought about flying into Long Island, trying to get in to see HQ, and seeing a show. Not really fun to do alone, and hotel rooms in NY are pretty pricey, and even now, 10 months after the merger, an XMer setting foot on Sirius territory requires some heavy duty battle armor.

Then I was leaning towards going to Virginia... seeing my friend Sandi, doing a little Statler stalking in Staunton, and spending a day at XM HQ in D.C. Although this plan carried the risk that I'd get depressed by all the empty desks at Eckington, I do want to make one more trip there sometime, so I was liking this idea.

Then Sandi posted one of those Facebook things where you mark off all the states you've been to, and I discovered... the girl is 30something years old, traveled the world, lived in foreign countries, is fluent in Spanish, and loves country music, but has NEVER been to Texas. Hello! Something needed to be done about that, I think.

So I post the FB query about where in Texas we should go to. I love Ft. Worth and would go there any time. Austin was intriguing. Plenty to do in Dallas. Overwhelmingly, the public opinion suggested San Antonio. We checked concert schedules. Kenny Chesney, Miranda Lambert, and Lady Antebellum were there May 1st. Miranda Lambert in Texas! How awesome is that gonna be?

Friday, we fly to San Antonio, for no other reason than... we can. God bless my amazing husband who lets me just run away for the weekend with a friend, even though we probably could put the money to better use a dozen other places.

My mission for the weekend: Tex Mex... brisket... Riverwalk... The Alamo... and Sandi buying a pair of cowboy boots.

Stay tuned!

8 comments:

marissa said...

hey, i live in San Antonio & i'm going to the Kenny concert too! whoo!

Jona said...

Sounds awesome :) I'm going there in a couple of months!
Have fun :)

Unknown said...

Have fun you two! I love San Antonio. My aunt and uncle used to live right outside in Helotes. I am going there at the end of June for a girls road trip to see Wicked. Can't wait!

And Sandi, you have never been to Texas?! You will love SA!

Producer J. said...

Jona -- are you coming to Nashville in a couple of months too?????

sandi said...

You so left out the margaritas J!!

Marissa, we'd love to meet you, even for a couple of minutes!

Jona said...

I think we're going to Nashville too ! :)) We are staying in the US for 6 weeks, so I think we got time for a Nashville trip :D
Isn't it about 10 hours drive from Texas? Sounds like a great roadtrip to me :)

marissa said...

hey Sandi, that would be cool!
but ironic that we would finally meet up at a Kenny show, & not a Garth or Trisha show! lol :D
...where are your seats?

...& btw, downtown San Antonio is fun, full of culture & shopping, but the AT&T Center is not in the greatest side of town! so, just fyi. :)

sandi said...

Marissa, I know! Very funny. I'm going to send you a message on bny with my cell! See you tomorrow night!

We're still looking for suggestions for stuff to do in San Antonio, too!