Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Late Night Ramblings

I keep trying to figure out how to blog everything that I've been doing in the past week and a half or so, since my failed promise of blogging under the influence of painkillers, and I just can't do it. Too much. I'd be writing for days. So... I'm just gonna bullet point the highlights of last week.

- Three less teeth in my mouth
- One 4am trip to the ER
- Playing the role of Roadhouse program director
- School cancelled because of cold
- My awesome friend Dianne who watched my child AND cleaned my house
- Sandi arriving in town for the weekend!
- Seeing Sylvia at a Janis Ian / Gretchen Peters show that I was way to exhausted to have been going to but Sandi made me go and I was glad I did. (Y'all remember Sylvia, right? "Nobody" "Snapshot" "Matador" -- LOVED her. She still looks as beautiful as she did 20 years ago when those songs were hits.)
- Introducing Sandi to Janis Ian
- Big G Salsa -- and lots of it
- Breaking my blender just by turning it on
- My adorable husband going and buying a new blender, and whipping up delicious Guavaberry coladas
- Georgia Cooking in a Tennessee Kitchen
- Playing with Baby Cebastian, and watching him do laps around the coffee table trying to get to the Big G Salsa

- The Pancake Tree
- My first visit (of MANY future visits) to the Loveless Cafe
- Having both of my hairdressers in the same place at the same time and not needing to have my hair colored
- Slumdog Millionaire
- More dental appointments
- A studio visit from the ladies of Little Big Town (where the best stories happened OFF the air)
- Working a very very long MLK day, including finishing a script around midnight, under the influence of painkillers

Which brings us to today.

First off, we have to talk about the Dierks Bentley script I wrote last night. I've never been all that big of a Dierks Bentley fan... I think I'm too old and too married for his little white tank top demo. Great guy, but just never really got all that into his music.

This new album -- Feel That Fire -- LOVE.IT. Probably, I relate to it more because he's now closer in line to my life situation - being married with a child. Great stuff. Diverse stuff, a great well rounded package of music. Was a totally fun script to write. For one thing, it's easier to write a show where the artist is a songwriter. For another, him and Jon have known each other a while, so it's easier to write a more "comfortable" script than a script for strangers. For another, I haven't gotten to write a ShortCuts script in a couple of months, so I was jazzed to do it.

The show turned out AWESOME. He and Jon talked about everything... it was very casual and loose, and he was so appreciative of getting the chance to dig in deep to the music the way we do on ShortCuts. I can't wait to edit it and put it all together. It will air the last weekend in January.

One funny note... the crazy boy came in wearing SHORTS. It's been crazy cold in Nashville... snowed again today... and he's running around in shorts.

We've been rocking on the Music Row Happy Hour lately -- that's Storme Warren's live show, from 4-8pm ET on The Highway. Today Kellie Pickler came in. I don't know how long she was on the air for, but in total she spent 2 hours hanging out in our studios. After she got off the air, everyone started talking politics. Kellie is NOT the airhead blonde she plays on TV. (In fact, if you were listening you got some cool scoop related to that, that she's never told anyone else!) I really enjoyed seeing a different side of her.

I've edited the interview, I think it will run again this week. Later in the show, songwriter Monty Powell (a zillion Keith Urban hits, including "Sweet Thing") came in. Wednesday we're expecting Trent Tomlinson, and Friday new duo Caitlin & Wil, who won the CMT reality show "Can You Duet." Oddly enough, I'd thought Joey & Rory had won that. Unless Caitlin is really Joey.... and Wil... hmm....

So it's a pretty exciting time up in the Big Blue Cone we now call home... we've worked so hard and waited for so long to get to a point where we had these awesome studios to show off to everyone, and I'm so excited we're finally really up and rockin' and parading people through! Now I just need to get the energy back to rock with them.

The days right now are long and exhausting, and my To Do list grows each day with things I'm not getting done, but we knew going into this merger it was probably going to be a really tough first year. It's hard to get down about it when we have these beautiful studios to walk into and the most awesome programming now getting almost double the listeners. Life is good. Crazy. Stressful. Exhausting. But good.

So now... I'm just counting down the days (12 to be exact) until my Spring intern arrives!

22 comments:

Paula said...

Just a quick question for now:

>>Today Kellie Pickler came in. I don't know how long she was on the air for, but in total she spent 2 hours hanging out in our studios.<<

I missed this and wonder if monkeys were mentioned.

Paula

Sean Harding said...

Yay, Producer J is back! :-)

I heard the beginning of the Kellie Pickler thing and I thought it was great (didn't hear her say anything about her monkey, but I'm sure it must have come up). I had to get out of the car and go to a meeting, though, so I missed the rest. Do you ever replay that stuff?

Sharon said...

SO glad you're back! We missed you!

Kendel said...

I love love love The Loveless. I just went there on Friday actually.

I hope the ER trip wasn't from the wisdom teeth. That's definitely my worst fear when I have to get mine out.

And, I'm glad you found an intern! I'm still sad that it didn't work out for me to come there. Oh, and I started at MB last week. :)

sandi said...

Did Gary tell you my flight was delayed? We could have played at the Loveless longer!

bll said...

UGH, sorry to hear about the dental work - not my favourite thing at all. I hope you're better.

Sounds like you've been busy and having a grand time. :)

Producer J. said...

Kendall, you may not be my intern, but I'm giving you an assignment anyway.

Your mission... before the semester is up... is to figure out where the best place is for Garth's fans to send mail to him that he might actually get.

I wound up in the ER because I got up at 4am and passed out on my bathroom floor. Loudly enough to wake my husband up, so he could stand me up and have me pass out again.

Dehydration. Woman can not live by milkshakes alone.

He did tell me Sandi (did he tell you I was napping? LOL), I was kind of relieved since I was afraid you were running late.

Producer J. said...

Ok, that looks wierd. The reason that I passed out loudly was because I hit a wall or something going down. According to the lump left behind, I apparently hit it with my forehead.

Kendel said...

Wow, I'm glad you're okay! That's scary! I'll make sure I hydrate myself when it comes time.


As for the mail thing, I'll try to work up the courage to ask Bob that question. He'd probably know best. But, first I have to see him, I have yet to do so lol.

JoAnnDiU said...

And I thought you were on vacation!! Oh wow!! Hope you get well quickly!!

The NY gals are coming down in April!!
I love love love the Loveless also!!

Sean Harding said...

I thought I posted this earlier, but maybe I was hallucinating...

I LOVE Loveless! My favorite thing (besides the biscuits, of course) is the bbq pork and eggs. I'm so sad I didn't have time to go there during my recent trip...

sandi said...

LMAO--I had the bbq omelette! J didn't think bbq and eggs would actually be good, but it rocked!

DaveBrz said...

J, I feel the pain with the dental work. Glad that your ok after the fall.

A few years ago I had passed out in the bathroom and luckly my parants came back from vacation that day and all turned out well after spending a little time in the hospital.

Mary Ann said...

Glad to see you back and hope you are feeling better. My husband was having trouble with dehydration and the doctor recommended he drink G2 which is similar to gatorade. This has helped.

Hope your intern arrives soon.

Producer J. said...

Kellie Pickler re-airing this afternoon at 7pm ET!

Sean Harding said...

Woohoo! Thanks!

Paula said...

Listening to Kellie and Storme now. :-) Thanks for the heads up.

I didn't know about the rest of the story surrounding the 4am trip to the ER. So glad you are okay and didn't hurt yourself more than you did. I'm glad you're doing better.

Jona said...

I'm so glad you are back, and that you're doing better! Thanks for the head up.
:)

sandi said...

I heard part of the Pickler interview; good stuff!

Jennifer said...

yumm the loveless. I think I need to go again its been so long. why was no invite for me.. LOL JK I love the peach perserves. like candy so good.

Jennifer said...

oh yeah and the salsa was gone in two days !!!!!

country said...

Is it possible to get the Kellie Pickler interview on podcast?