Monday, January 26, 2009

The return of Lady J

When you are born with a name like Joyce, you spend your life wondering why you don't have a normal name like Melissa or Jennifer or Lisa (all hugely popular names in my graduating class.) My mom was a Joyce too, so at home, to this very day, I'm Joyce Maree. I also spent my life wondering why they elongated my name, instead of shortening it to something hip and cute like Joy.

Of course now, I have no idea why I didn't start using that myself when I went off to college, but I guess after 18 years I'd gotten used to it.

When I moved to Nashville I was the only female director at the tv station I worked at... just as I'd been at the tv station back home. There was a guy about my age who pretty much ran the weekend studio crew, and he took it upon himself to nickname me Lady J. It was his way of making sure the crew guys showed me respect.

So when I got out of TV and stumbled into radio, I produced a Nashville midday show and did some on-air sidekick type work, and adapted Lady J. to Producer J. Because let's face it... no one is going to turn in to hear a Joyce. Very unhip. Producer J. followed me to LiveOnTheNet.com, CountryCool.com, PlanetGarth.com, and eventually, XM, where I was back doing some side kick type work and co-anchoring special events like Award Show coverage, and at various points, some specialty programming and then a Sunday night show on our classic country channel.

New company, new channel names, new on air names. As much as I like Producer J. because it explains that I'm not first and foremost a jock, and therefore, should be forgiven for not having a voice like Devon O'Day, I decided it was time for a change. So last Saturday afternoon, Lady J. made her debut on The Roadhouse, filling in for Kyle Cantrell. Somehow it fit with the channel better than Producer J. Maybe because once again, I'm the only girl in the joint.

12 comments:

Sean Harding said...

Aw, you should have given us warning so we could tune in!

I didn't know you used to be in TV. I worked in TV a number of years ago. Toward the end of high school and beginning of college, I worked at the ABC affiliate in Reno (KOLO), starting out as a catch-all production assistant (first thing I did was ran the teleprompter, I also did audio, graphics, camera, TD, tapes, etc. at different times) and eventually working as a photog/editor. I LOVED that work. In fact, I went to college for journalism with an emphasis in electronic media. I didn't end up taking that route in my career, but I often think fondly back on that time. I'm not sure I'd like it quite as much now (certainly the crazy schedule would be less pleasant now that I'm married), but I do wonder from time to time...

DaveBrz said...

I just happened to be listening in on my ride to Maine and heard this DJ that had an awesome voice and was hoping she would come back on after Bill Anderson.

sandi said...

Awesome!!!

Main said...

I like Lady J. It sounds very sophisticated. :-)

sandi said...

... or a high-priced madam. ;-)

Paula said...

"Aw, you should have given us warning so we could tune in!"

Agreed. I think it was a calculated omission of sharing on Lady J.'s part.

Paula

Unknown said...

Lady J - I like it!

Producer J. said...

LOL -- I was so slammed trying to get everything done I didn't even have time to tell my MOM I was doing it!

That is the end of my 15 Minutes though -- the professionals will be back next week.

DaveBrz said...

Not according to http://www.xmradio.com/onxm/channelguide.xmc?ch=10 which shows you on again this weekend.

Producer J. said...

Yeah, well I create that guide. I put me on it, I can take me off it! LOL

Paula said...

Hey! Why is the title crossed out. I've put a reminder on my calendar for Saturday morning.:p

Paula

DaveBrz said...

I'll check it later - stupid filter at work blocks XM and Sirius which I assume to the links to stream the music.