Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Guest Blog: The Intern X-Perience

Hey y’all! My name is Sydney and I am the lucky new intern for Sirius XM radio. I am not a native to the south, so I am trying to work on my southern accent. I guess I should start with a general introduction of myself… I am a senior at Boise State University (yes, we have the blue football field, and yes, we did beat Oklahoma with an amazing Statue of Liberty play to win the Fiesta Bowl against Oklahoma a few years ago) and I am majoring in Mass Communication and Journalism. I am also the host of the Wild West Radio Show for Boise State’s student run radio station, The Pulse. The show is on hold while I am in Nashville - my 5 fans were ok with this.

Although I was born in Michigan, I feel that I have lived in Idaho long enough to claim it as my home state. Enough history though, I bet you want to hear about the glamour and glory that accompanies the intern lifestyle!

I must say that I had a pretty fun first week in Nashville. I am shadowing Joyce to learn the ins and outs of satellite radio, and I have learned a lot already. I have worked with (or at least observed) Dalet, Team News, Track Filer, and Alfresco… which I think makes me pretty important. Oh, and I am also an expert at getting the mail, activating Opry songs, and general housekeeping. Also, if anyone is interested in seeing my work I will be updating the Highway Traffic Report every week.

I think the highlight of my week was meeting Jake Owen. He came in to do a GAC interview with Storme Warren, and followed up by joining Storme live for the Music Row Happy Hour, heard live on The Highway. Being a huge fan of Jake, I had a blast watching his interviews and talking with him (just as cool in person as I had hoped). I can’t wait for Billy Currington and The Lost Trailers next week!

3 comments:

Paula said...

Welcome and thanks for doing a guest blog. I'm sure you'll learn a lot from Joyce during your internship...just watch out for the flying monkeys.

Paula

Sean Harding said...

Hi Sydney!

sandi said...

What the heck is a Statue of Liberty play? I thought that was a FB thing! :) Welcome Sydney--I know you know how lucky you are to be at XM, and to be working with J!! Have a blast!