Thursday, February 26, 2009

Here's to the Class of '89

I was a little baffled by the long winded explanation released yesterday by the Country Music Hall of Fame, and couldn't put it in layman's terms well enough to make the witty remarkes that I wanted to. Fortunately, Radio & Records boiled it down to this description:

The CMA Board met last week in Orlando and apparently spent a lot of time working on categories and voting procedures for the Country Music Hall of Fame. There will still be three inductees a year, each representing a different category. Starting with the 2010 selections, the redefined categories are: Veterans Era, where professionals have been in the industry longer than 25 years; Modern Era, 20 years in the industry, but no more than 25 years; and rotating categories, where every third year someone in the recording and/or touring musician, non-performer and songwriter designation will be selected.

Yeah... that middle category there looks just a tad transparent, to me. Just in case math isn't your strong point, allow me to lend you my fingers and toes. Starting in 2010... the Modern Era category will induct artists who began their career between 1985 and 1990. Hmm. I'm thinking that in about 10 years, that spot is going to get a little trickier to fill. Couldn't they have just done a special election and inducted Randy Travis and Garth Brooks and gotten it over with? Because with all due respect to other artists... once you get those 2 in, everyone that's left is pretty much... leftover.

7 comments:

Paula said...

Hmm...I'm not sure I would consider Alan Jackson or Reba McEntire leftovers (for artists between 1985 and 1990)...but that's me. As for other artists in the 90's, I agree, although in 10 years, I might change my mind after more time has passed.

Producer J. said...

Reba doesn't fit in in that category... her first single came out in '76.

Alan is the only other one I can remotely think might be HOF calliber, and honestly, I think he's not quite there yet. But when you look at everyone on 5 years either side of the Class of '89... who else can you come up with? Shania?

When you have artists like Ronnie Milsap, Charlie Daniels and The Oak Ridge Boys who are NOT in the HOF, these new rules seem a bit squirrly to me.

sandi said...

Does Trisha count for 89? Or was she 90? Cause she had a few "firsts" in country music...not to mention being on the Board of the Hall of Fame.

bll said...

I will be shocked if Garth gets in the HOF. He totally didn't play the Nashville game, and I'm sure he's resented for that.

Paula said...

Wow, I didn't realize Reba had been around since 1976. I thought she had just celebrated 20 years in the business, but when I just checked, I see that retrospective came in 1996. Yikes! Where do the years go?

Trisha's first release was in 1991. I do agree with you that having a category that spans a 5-year period does leave you wondering why they are giving more of an opportunity to the "younger" artists than they are to those who have been around for a longer time.

Kendel said...

I don't care how badly they mess up the catergories, as long as Reba gets in there before Shania and Carrie! I know that's a crazy thing to say, but I'm tired of Carrie getting too much recognition. Not to mention the two above have pop tendencies and it is the country music hall of fame afterall.

Due to recent events, I'm not too keen on Garth anything so I don't care if he gets in. lol.

A Blogger said...

Its a crime that Garth and Randy aren't in the hall of fame.

Its coming up 20 years since Garth's debut album, April I think, I think he deserves something special to mark the occasion.