Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Pre-CRS Late Night Ramblings

I wish I kept a diary. There have been some CRAZY days lately, where one minute I'm cleaning the kitchen, the next I'm editing a fabulous show, and the next I'm setting up the studio for a visit from the NHL commissioner. There was a 24 hour period last week where I worked with mainstream country and bluegrass artists, NHL radio, and covered the Gospel Music Association's press conference for the Dove Awards nominees. I should have kept a list of everything I did.

Actually this blog is the closest thing I've got to a diary... I can't tell you how many times I've come here and done a search to figure out what outfit I wore to which award show, or when I worked with a particular artist. I'm sorry I haven't been here much lately. Believe me, I'll regret it later when there are large gaps of my memory I can't fill in.

I am, however, gathering lots of good scoop for an upcoming edition of Protecting the Guilty. I just need to put a little more distance between the stories and the shows they revolve around. Hee hee hee.

A couple of things though I want to point out to you. First off... we've inherited this survey thing from Sirius, that polls Highway listeners about what they like and don't like about the channel, and what they think of the music. You don't get flooded with surveys, I promise. But because this came over from the legacy Sirius country channel, 99.95% of the participants are Sirius subscribers. So go boost the XM contingency for us, ok? Sign up here. I will tell you though, the results are NOT anonymous, so if you make comments like "ShortCuts is the most well produced show I've ever heard on the radio," the person who gets the survey results (my boss) is gonna know that you're related to me. LOL. But this is a cool chance for you to voice your opinions about the channel.

The channels all have new email addresses too, that they can take requests and comments. It's a very simple formula - channelname@siriusxm.com. Channels like THE Highway and THE Roadhouse do use the THE. Similarly catchy phone numbers are on the way.

Other recent events... a Ronnie Milsap interview that you'll hear on the Roadhouse next week... lots of in studio guests... and taking my intern Sydney to her first and second number one party all in one night - which included meeting the writer and photographer behind this article. She'll probably be too busy in her blog telling you about how Billy Currington gave her a personal shout out in the Round Robin to tell you that one of them had much better food than the other. It was Mardi Gras themed -- and it reminded me of Mary Ann. The king cake was awesome. That really was my Fat Tuesday too -- I've given up all sweets for Lent.

Next week is CRS - what my longtime readers affectionately know as Hell Week 1.0. (Stick around here long enough and you'll learn when 2.0 and 3.0 are!) Amongst the events I'll bet attending: a private show with Reba, Pat Green in a honky tonk, a Jamey Johnson street party, and the ever-fabulous Sony Boat Show. (Relive Amy Paige and I's 2008 double date, the 2007 extravaganza or 2006, complete with the debut of Chicken Fried, if you wish.)

I shall try to be better about blogging. I need to see if blogger offers mobile blogging from my phone.

So that's me. What have YOU been up to?

11 comments:

Paula said...

Will sign up and try to refrain from gushing.

Okay, so I had to go back to the linked blog for Chicken Fried since I didn't realize the Zac Brown was "introduced" in 2006.

"A new five member group called The Lost Trailers was next up. They were great. First single is going to be called "Chicken Fried."

Did the Lost Trailers also cover that or is it the same title/different lyrics?

BTW, welcome back to your blog. :p

Paula

Kendel said...

Umm.. private show with Reba? Now I am kicking myself for not skipping class to volunteer to work CRS. I would gladly skip class or anything else for that matter to be near a private Reba show.

I keep missing out on awesome things involving Reba. For example there's that show and then she is coming to Chicago for a benefit concert with Red Stegall. I will be in Chicago until 6 days before the show for spring break. Reba never toured my hometown until I left it.

So, if you feel the need to share anything at all from that show that'd be amazing lol. I'll just be filing papers and buying band aids for my paper cuts in the meantime. :(

Sean Harding said...

A Boat Show sounds like something I NEED to be a part of. Getting an invitation for that has now become my #1 life goal.

Producer J. said...

It's not a CRS event, it's a private showcase her label is doing. So the CRS volunteers wouldn't be getting in anyway. But yes, I'll definitely bring back the scoop.

Hey, my poor intern knows NO ONE her age in Nashville. Anytime you want a cool chick to hang out with, can I hook you up? I think y'all have completely opposite musical tastes (she loves the Texas / alt. country scene... went to see Reckless Kelly at Exit/In last night.) But I'm sure she'd love a campus tour and someone under the age of 30 to talk with.

Kendel said...

Oh I feel much better now! I will stop kicking myself. I'm glad to hear her new label is doing things to help her.


I'd love to hang out with your intern, show her around or anything else. :)

sandi said...

Reba! How awesome. :) Have a blast--you have such a fabulous job, even if it doesn't always seem like it!

Mary Ann said...

Of course, I have been going to parades and having a great Mardi Gras. Now, I need about a week to rest up. As you know, that is my most favorite time of year.

Producer J. said...

Sorry Paula, I just realized I didn't answer your questions.

Lost Trailers released "Chicken Fried." We played it on Highway 16... it had all the makings of a hit.

Then we got a cease and decist from the label, saying the songwriter had decided to keep the song for his own musical aspirations.

At the time we laughed... figuring the poor guy - whomever he was - would never make it, and we wouldn't ever hear the song again.

Ha! Shows how much we know.

Jona said...

Can't wait to hear all about the Reba show! :) That sounds amazing.

i just got an e-mail, about Reba and George Strait and special guest Blake Shelton (and Julianne Hough) is opening the new Cowboy stadium in Texas 10 days before I get to Texas... Typical my luck! 3 of my favorites at once.

Well, have fun at Hell week #1 and I'm glad to see you back on your blog :)
I like your layout BTW.

sandi said...

Jona...you planned your trip and didn't tell me? :o

Jona said...

LOL Well not really. But I do think we have the date we are leaving Norway ready :)