Monday, October 02, 2006

Schmooze Fest Du Jour & Beautiful People

I'm actually awarding tonight's event the Schmooze Fest of the Week, even though it's only Monday. I don't see anything on my calendar that will top this one.

Tonight's event was a CD release party for the upcoming Cracker Barrel "Songs of the Year" cd. Proceeds from the CD (designated to be $125,000) are donated to the Country Music Hall of Fame, which is where the event was held.

The event was held in the Hall's Rotunda, which houses the plaques for the Hall of Fame members. Gorgeous flower arrangements, candlelight, an open bar, and a delicious buffett including crab cakes and stuffed mushrooms to die for. (Let me tell you, I've never had food like this at Cracker Barrel!) Being just a couple of weeks away from the beach, I stayed away from the chocolate fondue.

There was the obligatory presentations and speeches interspersed with music. Live music! Trace performed Sunday Mornin' Comin' Down - just him and a guitar. Sounded great. He will be hosting the live concert to promote the project, which will be held the night before the CMA Awards at the new Symphony Center across the street. Lonestar performed "City of New Orleans" and Jo Dee Messina was also in attendance.

Vince Gill was not in attendance, but we were told that the idea came to fruition under his leadership as head poohba on the CMF Board. Interesting to note that three of the 12 songs on the project are ones he wrote. (As Laynie would say - "Cha-ching!")

Packaging for the project is really nice, and it comes with a folded up poster. The Wreckers quite possibly sound better doing "Strawberry Wine" than Deana Carter ever did. Randy Travis does "Chiseled in Stone" so well you forget it isn't his to begin with. Deana is on the project too, doing "Go Rest High on That Mountain" with Heart. It's... interesting. Not as interesting as unknown group Jypsi re-writing the lyrics to "Stranger In My House" to come from the female perspective. This one comes off like bad karaoke.

It was amusing to hear the Cracker Barrel woman doing the talking at the podium bungled a bunch of names, including DeeAnna Carter and Billy Shelton. I don't know what Billy's cut sounds like, but Blake does a pretty good job on The Gambler.

I've got a stack of new music sitting here to listen to, including the debut CD from Heartland, new Craig Morgan, and new Mark Chesnutt. I thought Mark's CD had some promise until I opened the CD and saw a picture of Mark staring at the camera with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth. It's gone downhill from there.

A magazine I've never seen on the stands has named Nashville's 25 Most Beautiful People. Some of my blog readers will be thrilled with their picks. The recipients obviously got to write their own descriptors. Love Trent Willmon's - and Melissa Reeves' (who some of you knew as Jennifer on Days of Our Lives but some of us know as Scott from Blue County's wife). Check out the list at www.NashvilleLifestyles.com. I've met 8 of the 25 -- including one former co-worker. (Anyone else think the girl who describes herself as a TV host but doesn't tell us what she hosts looks a lot like Chalee Tennison?)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

HOW does Carrie get most beautiful? Those lists are always so bizarre.

I can't wait to hear the Wreckers sing Strawberry Wine, and I bet Trace sounded incredible singing that Cash song! You forgot to mention the most important person on the project, though. :P

Pam said...

Trent made the list !!! Would rather have had him on the cover however. I've had more than enough of Carrie Underwood.

Speaking of Trent, saw him in concert Saturday in Lyle, TX. He was great. Did covers of Small Town, Devil Went DOwn to Georgia and Texas WOman along with his own stuff. FInally got to hear him sing Louisana Rain live......sigh !!!

Got to meet him (again hehhe) after the show what a sweetie. :) I have pics if anyone is interested LOL

Joyce if I pay for the magazine and shipping and handling any chance you can send me one????? Pretty Please????

Pammy

Anonymous said...

"Live music! Trace performed Sunday Mornin' Comin' Down - just him and a guitar. Sounded great. He will be hosting the live concert to promote the project, which will be held the night before the CMA Awards at the new Symphony Center across the street. Lonestar performed "City of New Orleans""

Do I see some new additions to J's Acoustic Cafe?:-)

Storme??? Hope this doesn't give him a big head! :p I agree, she does look a lot like Chalee Tennison. Chris Young...mmm. Gotta find his CD today while I'm picking up George's new one.:-) Erron Kinney's picture looks like a calendar shot for Chippendale's or something...

Haven't come across Mark Chesnutt's new one yet in the stores in my area. Not much marketing being done.

Paula

Producer J. said...

Hey Pam - I totally thought of you when I saw Trent. Hillbilly singer. Hee hee hee.

If I can find it, I'll snag you one! I really haven't ever seen this magazine before. But I'll look.

Pam said...

Thanks Joyce :)

To aid you in your mission LOL :

You can pick up your copy of Nashville Lifestyles at any of these locations:
Barnes and Noble
Books-a-Million
Bookstar
Borders
Corner Market
CVS
Harris Teeter
Kroger
McCabe's Market
Nashville Metropolitan Airport
Walgreens
Wild Oats
Area Hotel Gift Shops

Anonymous said...

J, I'm surprised you didn't care for Jypsi's 15 year old lead singer's soulful version of "Stranger in My House". Karoke it wasn't. I loved her voice quality, and look foward to what the group has to offer in the future.