Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Sick Day

I wound up spending my entire day home in bed sick today, but The Tennessean has good coverage of last night's Broadway Meets Country event.

And there's a photo of Trisha on CMT's covereage of the night. (Trisha didn't do the red carpet or the post party - in fact she didn't even stay for the finale. Nor, for the record, did Josh Gracin or Lorrie Morgan.)

My favorite part of the night was the duets. They were all really good. The finale with the cast of The Lion King was awesome - I can't wait to see this show! (We're going the night before Thanksgiving.)

The VIP post-party was nice, a lot different than last year's, which had tables and the artists worked their way through the room. This was all standing, and it was a free for all. Some of the artists didn't make it more than a few feet off the elevator. Got to spend some time with the Grascals, and I told Jimmy he was missed during the rendition of "Callin' Baton Rouge." It was Sandi's first time meeting them. :-)

Had a nice chat with Chris Young (hugged him twice Sharon!) and he told me about pulling up to a Dallas WalMart in his limo and going in and buying his CD. His performance was one of the duets and they really sounded great together. He said that was only the 3rd time they'd sung that song.

Speaking of WalMart - Garth's DVD set comes out tomorrow, so while I was in WalMart tonight buying an eye patch for my pirate costume, I checked out the electronics section just to make sure they weren't out early. There was NOTHING about the DVD to be found - not a poster, an endcap, nothing. They do however have a bunch (probably 15 or so) of last Christmas's boxed set stacked up above the country music CD's.

Garth's publicist sent out a note this week about how there were only 1 Million DVD sets made and Garth's fans should really get out this week and buy theirs so the scalpers didn't get them all.

If they're that worried about the fans getting them, then they should make more of them. And ship them internationally.

So with a heavy heart, I am retiring my favorite black dress. I was trying to remember exactly when I got this, which made me realize all the places I'd worn it. I bought it on the clearance rack at Hecht's for $27 in March of '04 for an Alabama (the band not the state) career achievement dinner thing. Wore it to the CMA's in Nov. of '04. Took it on our cruise in October of '05, and of course, it did Broadway Meets Country in November of '05 and '06. As my mom would say - it doesn't owe me anything.

Everybody wish Sandi a Happy Birthday today - she's 29 AGAIN, can you believe it?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The night sounds fantastic!!! My My you did get your moneys worth out of that dress!!

Sorry you were sick.

Ya know. I thought it was because I was in a WalMart in NY that there was no promotion for the Garth DVD's. What the heck??

Sandi how could I have forgotten your b'day?? Hey, we're the same age!!! ;)

Sharon said...

Happy Birthday Sandi!

Hope you feel better J.

Lucky duck get to hug Chris Young.

Anonymous said...

Thanks! :)

Chris Young was a babe--and soooo sweet!

Pam said...

(If they're that worried about the fans getting them, then they should make more of them. And ship them internationally.)

This is exactly how I feel about the whole situation with the new boxset. Sheesh.

Hope you feel better !!1

Happy birthday, Sandi !!!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the links...I'll need to check those out. I so hope they taped this to be shown later.

My Wal*Mart also has several of last year's boxed sets available.

I wouldn't be so quick to retire that dress. Black is timeless, and unless it is showing a lot of wear and tear, you may find an occasion where you can wear it again, even though you certainly have gotten your money's worth out of it.