Friday, July 11, 2008

My Laptop.... R.I.P.

So I have this laptop. A Dell. Have had it for about 4 years now. Within the past 4 months I've bought both a new battery and a new power chord for it. (Which means I probably didn't need the battery.)

I use that laptop for a myriad of things. Although it's a personal machine, (XM wouldn't give me one) I use it for everything. Amongst the things I keep on it:

Editing software - All field audio interviews get loaded onto it, edited, and uploaded to our FTP site. My laptop has been the intern work station over the past few months, while we have been overcrowded awaiting our new studios.

Photos - everything from my trip to New Zealand (which I do have backup copies) to my assorted trips to the cornfields (most of which I don't) to all of our Nashville Star photos (which have been uploaded to an online album.)

Scripts - ShortCuts, Nashville Star, Driver's Ed -- my entire resume of the past 4 years pretty much.

Pampered Chef Software -- all of my parties, receipts, expenses, orders, addresses, from my first 8 shows.

You know where this is going, right?

My harddrive crashed. The computer no longer acknowledges its' existence.

GO BACK UP YOUR COMPUTER! NOW!!!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't even know what to say. :(

Do you know anyone good with computers? Maybe they can rescue something from your hard drive.

Skywise said...

OOOF!

Sorry to hear this Joyce! I've been through something a tad similar, but nowhere near the complexity or severity..

maybe (hopefully) there's someone (I know PC people have things like 'geek squad', etc.) or a repair service which can help restore/rescue your data...

I think I'm gonna do what you suggest though, and go backup my stuff now... it's a harsh but needed reminder of the addage "it's not IF a hard drive will fail but WHEN a hard drive will fail"

Good luck with it's 'restoration' / repair, etc!

Anonymous said...

Get to a computer shop and have them transfer your data to a zip drive; even if the laptop doesn't recognise the drive chances are they can still retrieve all the stuff on it. I had a desktop crash a couple of years ago, and Microcenter was able to retrieve all my business stuff and put it on my new computer.

Producer J. said...

Well that is hopeful!

I have a place in town that is going to look at it as soon as I can get it out there. In the meantime one of our engineers are looking at it.

Seriously... I just thought a few days ago, when I went through and cleaned up my desktop and deleted a bunch of stuff, that I needed to backup all my pictures to disk and clean them off my laptop.

God was talking to me... and I wasn't listening. *sigh*

Anonymous said...

Just don't take it to the geek squad, or whatever they're called, at Best Buy. :)

Seriously, if we lived closer, my brother could save everything for you.

Jennifer said...

Did you forget me.. I can save your info silly.. Call me

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you need to call Jen. Hope she can help you. Good luck!

Mary Ann

Anonymous said...

Hi Joyce,

You might want to look into the harddrive recovery software spinrite. I have had good luck with it in the past.

http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

Producer J. said...

You can? Dang, I left the computer at the office. Seriously?

And Sandi, if you lived closer we could do a LOT of things. Much funner than saving dead laptops. :-P

Main said...

Oh man... :(

Yes, I should also back up my laptop. Got lots of pics on it that I would HATE to lose! I even have an external HD that I can do back ups to. I just have been too lazy.

Good luck with recovering your data, J.!

DaveBrz said...

I lost everything that I had on my original laptop years ago when I dropped it while checking into a hotel and the screen broke. After being in for repairs, the store replaced it with a new one but tossed mine before I could get everything I wanted off of it.

Jennifer said...

don't you remember I saved your last hardrive....