Wednesday, August 13, 2008

And the winner of the Overcrowded Street Week is....



Sugarland! LOL But wait -- they didn't release an album last week!

Didn't matter, they still sold more country albums than anyone else. Top 6 looked like this:

Sugarland - 91,429
Heidi Newfield - 34,417
Keith Anderson - 31,936
Taylor Swift - 28,041 (Self titled debut album, now available as a Deluxe Edition)
Taylor Swift - 18,737 (Walmart exclusive edition CD / DVD extravaganza)
Jamey Johnson - 16,924

Melissa Lawson had 32, 628 digital downloads -- #2 in country behind Sugarland.

In other news, I attended a 50 Million Party for Alan Jackson tonight, during which another media person told me she loved my blog. So I am feeling guilty that I've been neglecting it so badly lately. Tomorrow night I'll post lots of photos and scoop from the event, which I have to tell you, featured a full bar of toppings including shrimp, cheese, bacon, chives, jalapenos..

Not for Baked Potatoes.

Not for Salad.

For Grits. No I'm not kidding. I couldn't make that up. Never having had grits before, I could not resist the opportunity to sample some grits out of a martini glass. I mean really. How could you pass that up?

Now I will be always be able to tell everyone that the only time I ever ate grits was at AJ's party.

Before the party, which was held, for reasons never explained, at the Vanderbilt University Student Life Center, AJ did a little press conference. He reflected a lot on his career, and the music. One of the questions he was asked revolved around a quote in this article in today's Tennessean. He called the reporter out - twice - for taking his quote out of context. And she was in the room. He went on to give the full context, I'll get it for you from the tape.

VIP's in the room included Trace and Rhonda Atkins, Jack Greene, Mel Tillis and Charlie Chase. Ed Morris from CMT.com was there -- I made sure to tell him about the Grits bar. So be watching for his article online tomorrow. He's always great with the details.

So pictures coming tomorrow, but for now I must get to bed -- I'm up early tomorrow for the IBMA Awards Nominations -- heard live from the Country Music Hall of Fame on XM 14, Bluegrass Junction. We'll see if I'm 3 for 3 in getting Kyle nominated for Bluegrass Broadcaster of the Year.

It will also be my first time working in the CMHOF since January. I should come back with LOTS of good stories to share.

14 comments:

Sean Harding said...

That link seems to go to a FedEx tracking number...

Jona said...

Yeah, I get that one too.

Sounds like you had a lots of fun though. Can't wait for pictures!! :))
I have no idea what grits are, but I tried to google it, and it looked like outmeal...

Mary Ann said...

I absolutely love grits but only with butter and salt. I also love cheese grits. Can't wait to see pictures.

Mary Ann

Producer J. said...

Woops -- sorry! It's fixed now.

The quote was the one about traditional country music.

Producer J. said...

Jona -- grits are like oatmeal... a very gritty version of oatmeal.

I kept thinking they'd be better with some butter on them, but then I thought maybe I was just stuck in the baked potato mode. LOL

Pam said...

EWWWWW Grits LOL


Congrats to Trent Willmon on a #1 song. He co wrote Back When I knew It All by Montgomery Gentry !!!

sandi said...

Okay... grits are just eeewww... but I made the recipe in Trisha's cookbook... and they were great!!! :D Very well disguised. :)

Chris in Jax said...

Not shocking about Beverly Keel. I have never been a fan of her "journalism".

bll said...

Grits (and polenta) are just very coarsley ground corn meal. Well made grits are divine; most are not well made.

sandi said...

Grits is nothing like polenta.

DaveBrz said...

Congrats on going 3 for 3 in getting Kyle nominated.

Producer J. said...

:-D Thanks!

Carrie with Children said...

I love, love, love grits!! And wow..a buffet for toppings, sounds like a dream :)

What a great idea for a fun, southern party!

Producer J. said...

spoken like a crazy pregnant woman...