Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Life

Just catching y'all up on some things in my world lately...

A couple of personal notes first... my brother has been in the hospital for the past several days with meningitis. Not the bad kind (although it certainly hasn't been the good kind either..) That's not been fun. That's when it sucks that I'm 8 hours away and can't take a hospital shift or help watch munchkins.

And it's a week and a half into the school year and I absolutely hate Delaynie's school. We put her into public school this year for the first time, which is a long convoluted story in and of itself. Unless things improve drastically (or I start drinking heavily) she's going to be back in private school by Christmas. Still awaiting the merger fallout before I can commit to that kind of money again.

For the past 2 days I've been immersed in Jessica Simpson. We're cutting a show with her tomorrow that may or may not ever make air. I have to tell you, this album is pretty dang good. She does have a beautiful voice (I never heard her as a pop singer, so it was all new to me.) There's a track on here called "Pray Out Loud" that I really love.

Today we had The Road Hammers in the new studios. Live. On the radio. That alone is always an adventure. Add to the mix that it was the first time Storme had worked in that particular studio. However it turned out, it was guaranteed to be exciting.

All went well, fortunately, and everything worked except the ability to take phone calls. Storme continues to amaze me with his interview skills. He did 30 minutes with nothing but an album cover as prep, and had tons of things to talk to them about. The only thing I needed to contribute was getting their tour dates up online. He's awesome.

Storme and I have some great conversations about music and artists, and we were laughing today because he was telling me about all the people he's interviewed for GAC in the past 2 days. Kid Rock, Jessica Simpson, Darius Rucker and Gretchen Wilson. One of these things is not like the other...

Oh yeah -- one of them started out as a country artist! But we laughed about how the rock folks are putting out some of the best songs on country radio right now. "Don't Think I Don't Think About It" is still my favorite song on the radio.

Don't think I don't wonder 'bout
Could've been, should've been all worked out
I know what I felt, and I know what I said

But don't think I don't think about it

On a related note... I've heard the Kid Rock radio edit on the local country radio stations, and they bleep out "smoking" in the line "smoking funny things." Which led my imagination to think there was something much more offensive than "smoking" going on before I knew what the lyric was. We play the unbleeped version on XM.

Call in and ask Storme about Kid Rock sometime. :-) He's totally a fan.

Should have good stories for you tomorrow night...

11 comments:

Sean Harding said...

LOL. They bleep "smoking"? That's hilarious.

Sorry to hear about your brother. I hope he gets better soon.

Paula said...

Hope your brother is on the road to recovery. Sorry to hear that the school isn't working out. Is there anything in particular that could possibly be changed or switched to improve things?

I have to agree that the singles from Kid Rock and Darius Rucker that are currently playing are good and don't hurt my ears. I haven't heard Jessica's single so can't comment on that.

Main said...

I hope your brother will be well soon.

The Kid Rock song has been No. 1 here for a couple of weeks now. :D No bleeps. :D

Jona said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jona said...

I'm really sorry to hear about your brother! I hope he will have a speedy recovery.

To bad your daughters school suck. I hope there is something that can be improved.

I haven't hear any of the songs you talk about, but I'm not a big fan of Jessica Simpson. maybe I should give her a chance as country music artist. But I'm not a big fan of any female singers actually.

Bleep on smoking. Well, I can't imagine they would have done that here. They don't bleep songs here.

LovinTimInMi said...

LOVE Kid Rock!! He has a "bad" boy side to him for sure, but he also has a great humanitarian side as well. Love "All Summer Long" but wouldn't say it is the best on the album. (but probably best one for country radio)

Hope your brother is on the road to recovery.
Good luck with the school situation.

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about your brother. Hope he gets well soon.

I totally agree, I actually love the Darius Rucker and Jessica Simpson singles right now - and Kid Rock's too. That is pretty funny about bleeping that word. My stations don't.

Oh and yeah, Storme just flat out rocks - as do you!!

Pam said...

Hope your brother gets better ASAP.

I change the station every time Kid Rock or Jessica come on.

Just burns my butt that no matter what record company he's with Trent can't get much airplay......but they will play Kid Rock and Jessica Simpson.

Whatever.

shamelesslee2 said...

Sorry to hear about your brother thoughts and prayers heading his way.

Love Kid's song, growing up in MI I can so relate to that song! Can we say "been there done that"? LOL I tried to get it downloaded from Walmart but it seems like they don't have it. No bleeps on my station either.

sandi said...

I really hate that I like Jessica Simpson's single, and Kid Rock's! :) They're really catchy.

Wasn't one of your brothers in the hospital a few years ago for some mysterious illness they couldn't figure out? Hmm. Sorry you can't be there, and that he gets better soon!!!

How does Delayanie like her school?

Mary Ann said...

Thoughts and prayers for your brother and the school situation. Hope both get better soon.