Tuesday, September 09, 2008

The Best of Both (Satellite) Worlds

Today, the company also announced the content line-up for SIRIUS XM’s new “Best of Both” programming options. As part of “Best of Both” programming, most current XM customers will continue to receive their existing XM service, and be able to obtain select SIRIUS programming. Likewise, most current SIRIUS customers will continue to receive their existing SIRIUS service and be able to obtain select XM programming. In addition to their existing service, SIRIUS and XM subscribers will be able to purchase the following channels:

SIRIUS on XM
Howard 100
Howard 101
Martha Stewart Living Radio
SIRIUS NFL Radio *
SIRIUS NASCAR Radio
Playboy Radio

XM on SIRIUS
NBA*
NHL Home Ice *
Oprah & Friends
The Virus
Public Radio with Bob Edwards
College Sports *
PGA Tour

* Sports offerings will also include channels for play-by-play of NBA, NHL, NFL, and College Sports games.

“Best of Both” programming will be available to satellite radio consumers beginning October 6, 2008 on most existing satellite radios at a monthly [total] cost of $16.99. Also, the company’s full slate of new packages will be available to consumers on Oct. 6, including the opportunity to choose programming on an a la carte basis for the first time ever in subscription media.

8 comments:

Sean Harding said...

Doesn't particularly excite me. I have both XM and Sirius, and I almost never listen to any of those things... Would be nice to get Highway 16 and the Opry on Sirius (I miss WSM), and NPR on XM. *That* would make me happy.

DaveBrz said...

Also WSIX is no longer on XM. Like the idea getting Nascar and NFL but really don't want to pay for Howard and Martha.

sandi said...

I want Margaritaville! And there's something else that I wouldn't mind, but can't think of it...and it's definitely not the Elvis channel.

Pam said...

I'll take NASCAR don't want the rest of the Sirrus on XM. And I'm not sure that NASCAR is worth an extra $4 a month LOL Love my racing but I'm usually home to watch the races anyway.

Guess I'll pass if I can.

Paula said...

In a perfect world, we would be able to pick the 100 or so channels that we want at our current subscription price and not get the filler we don't want that's included in a "package" with the one or two stations that we do want.

I'm with Dave and Pammy. I'll pass on paying the extra $4 for the one or two stations I may be interested in from the Sirius lineup.

DaveBrz said...

I have a feeling I will take the package for the NFL for my father and then they can dump their Sirius subscription. Also if I am correct, wasn't Playboy Radio let go of XM in the past?

Producer J. said...

Yes... it was originally a premium channel for us.

For the record... there's nothing that I want on the Sirius "Best Of" either. It definitely comes with a PG13 (or higher?) rating. I think our offering to their subscribers is stronger.

This reminder:
Also, the company’s full slate of new packages will be available to consumers on Oct. 6, including the opportunity to choose programming on an a la carte basis for the first time ever in subscription media.

Pam said...

I only have full blown XM in my truck, so I think I'll just leave it as is. Direct TV has some of the XM channels. So occasionally I'll listen to XM 16 in the house.