Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The Ramblings Continue

I wasn't going to share this story, but Carrie from Jacksonville brought the subject of Gerry House up in the Six Random Facts post, so I decided I would.

I wake up each morning to WSIX. I listen to Gerry House on the way to work, and Big D and Bubba on the way home, mostly for Nashville traffic info, but also because - especially with Gerry - I like to hear radio "shows." I don't need to hear "that was, this is, let's take caller 8." But Gerry has a really entertaining show. Unlike the other 2 country morning shows in Nashville, which put me to sleep.

At any rate, the radio is on, I'm watching the clock trying to decide when I need to get out of bed, and Delaynie comes running in. "Look! Mommy LOOK!" She throws open the curtains and there are white dots trying to impersonate snow flakes laying on the cars and curbs. We're talking like... tablespoons of snow.

So after about 15 minutes of listening to Gerry do his morning "Liars Club" game and a couple songs and some other miscellaneous ramblings, I hear Al come on and do the news. Then, and only then - after my daughter got up, had breakfast, and was half way dressed - did I hear any sort of mention of an overnight "snowstorm." School systems throughout Middle Tennessee are closed, including Davidson County.

Very confused, I turned on the TV. And sure enough, school closings are crawling across the screen. "Crazy!" I think. This county wide school system they have in TN is crazy. Delaynie is eagerly watching the list of schools flash by. "Don't get your hopes up kiddo," I tell her. "You know Mr. H never cancels school, and it looks great on our end of town."

I knew by the squeal that came out of her that I was wrong. I still have no idea why. But no school for Laynie. So we had take your daughter to work day.

She did get to play in the snow at one point... what there was of it. We had to go pick up an Alan Jackson CD and the crazy kid talked me into walking over there so she could walk through any and all patches of white she could find. I got her back for making me excercise though. She didn't have gloves and I did. She got a snowball in the back. Heh heh heh.

On the way back she started singing Carrie Underwood's "American Girl" for some reason. So against my better judgement I told her Carrie was in the studio today cutting Country Countdown USA. I didn't let her meet her, but I did let her walk by and see her through the studio window.

So that was my day. If I ramble long enough I might pass enough time that I could tell you who the next host of Nashville Star was going to be. However... that information is currently embargoed. They said until 12:10pm Pacific Time, but I'm pretty sure they mean am. To give the announcement a chance to air across the country.

If you want to know before then, I suggest turning on NBC after your late local news.

Tomorrow has the potential to be an incredibly momentous day in my life. I will actually be in the same room with Harold and Don Reid of the Statler Brothers. Probably, knowing me, hiding...worshipping from afar. But in the presence of greatness.

It's only taken me 12 years after I moved to Nashville.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Liars Club is my favorite part of the show. I cannot believe people actually get things wrong! :)

Tell your daughter I'm jealous she got to play hooky today. (that was also in my six random things). I wanted to play hooky.

And wow...Gerry and Garth in the same room at the same time. Sounds like fun!!!

Anonymous said...

Belmont didn't cancel and it's in davidson county. What's up with that ;)

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your Statler Brother day. I am envious. I love them but have never seen them live. I almost did years back when they were going to be on the Barbara Mandrell show and I had tickets, but collapsed to peer pressure and went to a High school football playoff game instead.

Main said...

We could still use some more snow (and cold) here. We have been walking around in t-shirts, with our snow boots sloshing around in puddles of melted snow (= water!). Crazy weather! Skiing is unpleasant: in the morning everything is frozen and as soon as it melts, everything is waaaaay to soft/wet.

Here in Switzerland they have a "take your daughter to work" day. Even when the schools are not closed. Tina loved going with her dad. And he has a boring job! But he did make a nice program for her and she saw the whole factory too, not just the offices where he is working.

I hope you have a great time worshipping the Statler Brothers. (I won't embarrass myself here and tell you that I have never heard of them)

Jona said...

Oh, I hope will be able to talk to The Statler brothers men! But I can completely understand if you don't... I probably would have said much around my hero either. But you talk to big stars all the time, so come on ;)

Paula said...

Color my sister green that you will be in the same room as two of the Statlers.

Schools cancelled for tablespoons of snow? Wimps!

Going to surf the news to see who the next host will be.

Paula

Anonymous said...

You are so not going to hide!!! They love you, remember? :P

Unknown said...

You'll do great J! Have fun with the Statlers! And have a great CRS week! Can't wait to hear all about it.

Anonymous said...

OH good grief. Now I can't watch Nashville Star... at least the judging part. Ugh.

I'll send you some snow!

Unknown said...

I heard who the new host is. Any word on the new judges yet?

Anonymous said...

I thought the new host was Billy Ray Cyrus...I could be wrong.

Enjoy the Statlers, I love Harold's sense of humour.

Anonymous said...

Some non country person told me that BRC was going to host NS. Said she saw him on Leno!!

Have a great time with the Statlers!!