Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Garth, the Singing Chipmunk

I'm driving in to work this morning in absolutely BRUTAL traffic -- took me over 45 minutes, it was ridiculous. And WSIX had a particularly annoying commercial on, so I turned over to WKDF. Which quite honestly, I almost never listen to because their morning guy bores me to tears. But I was looking for traffic.

So I turn it over, and Garth is singing. And my first reaction was "Yay!" because since US Country went away... I pretty much never hear Garth. (Which wouldn't be a problem if I could get my Ipod away from daughter long enough for her to teach me how to use it, but that's another post.) Back to the radio, it took me about 3 seconds of listening before I started laughing.

Because his Garthness... singing "Two Pina Coladas"... sounded like a chipmunk.

We've talked about this before, how some radio stations pitch songs to speed them up, to get more commercials in. However, I didn't realize KDF did this (they didn't back when I worked there!) and I'm really surprised they're gutsy enough to mutilate music like that here in Music City.

But back to Garth... it was comical. He sounded like Billy Gilman doing Garth-y-okie. And you know how the chorus at the end has those slightly dramatic pauses? "Bring... me.... Two pina coladas...." Yeah. Gone. It was Garth, the singing chipmunk, on speed.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's hysterical and ridiculous. I don't understand how they can get away with that. Thank God for XM... well... RIP 17, but still. However there is a funny as heck version of "More Than a Memory" sped up on you tube somewhere. So wrong but I did laugh.

Anonymous said...

LMAO!!! Yeah, we are so talking about different things. :) Mine is by some singing chipmunks. Very cute. :)

Main said...

I cannot believe they actually do that!! I am soooooo shocked! :O :O
That would annoy me enough to throw my radio out of the window!! LONG LIVE IPODS!! :D

Jona said...

I can't believe this either!! I'm glad the radio's doesn't do that here.

Anonymous said...

That's totally ridiculous - and really funny!

But - that's what you get for switching away from Gerry :)

Producer J. said...

Well I wouldn't have had to switch if they wouldn't play that ridiculous commercial for birth control...

They were doing something really funny this morning though that I thought would make a good blog topic, and now I can't remember it!

Anonymous said...

Did you play the clip I sent you? :)