Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Getting Personal

Hmmm... I'm in the middle of a tough writing session. (Send chocolate.)

Every artist is different in how you deal with their personal lives... and you can generally take the cues from the interviews they do and the information contained in their bio. But in general, country music artists are fine with asking about their children and spouses and marriages and babies. And sometimes, it's not only welcome, but it's expected.

You don't interview Tim without talking about Faith. And you don't talk to Faith without getting some cute story about something one of her girls have done lately. And in general, artists are more comfortable talking about their families, and they get to beam and sparkle when talking about their loved ones and it makes for a more intimate conversation when they give you a glimpse of life at the dinner table.

But what about when it's not all candles and roses? Or there's something slightly scandalous like a dui in the news? I've had publicists tell me "so and so will NOT talk about ______." Which generally is fine, as the shows I write are much more focused on the music, and anything we get of a more personal nature is icing on an already delicious cake.

Which brings me to tonight's dilemma. I'm writing a Phil Vassar ShortCuts. And Phil has recently gotten divorced, which is not something that I would ever bring up in a show. (So, hot stuff... you're single now... what kind of girl are you looking for?)

However... there are two songs on this album that Phil co-wrote with his ex-wife.

Tricky waters to navigate. Even trickier when some of the songs on this CD are gut wrenching heartache songs. Really, I just want to hug him. But first, I have to write a show.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

First, what type of chocolate do you prefer? I have a giant stash and am willing to share :)

Second, I wondered how Phil was doing. Especially with the subject of his current single.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps just ask him how he goes about the writing process- does he write lyrics and then the music or do they come together? Might be the kinder, gentler path for both of you.