Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Nashville Star Week #3

I was in the audience for Nashville Star Monday night -- six seats down from John Anderson, and the row in front of Laura Bell Bundy. I'm going to have to take Delaynie some time, because I was right in front of the circle stage where Billy Ray did a bunch of intros, and all I could think of was "I'm four rows away from Hannah Montana's daddy."
So here are a few things you don't see on tv:

- They've redone the audience setup from year's past. Taken out a bunch of seating, and added risers. So it's a smaller audience.

- In the commercial breaks, the judges often pull out their guitars and sing. Jewel did a song that was apparently a hit for her, Jeff did part of "What Hurts the Most," there was a sing along to "Lyin' Eyes."

- They had a sing-off in one break for tickets to the Tuesday night Opry. The two contestants from the audience sang Amazing Grace, accompanied by Jeffrey Steele. They both had more talent than some of the contestants.

- Everything was live this week -- no pre-taped special guest performance.

- Billy Ray Cyrus came out into the audience and hugged or high fived a bunch of little girls throughout the night. He knows his fan base. He also made a trip out once they announced John Anderson was there.

- Watched the show on TV tonight. It sounds so much better in person when the crowd is loud and you can't hear it. It's also hard to hear the judges in the house.

I'll go on the record as saying I think Ashlee Hewitt has the most star potential. They're going to have to develop a story on her to get the audience won over. It's tough to compete with a single dad, a sailor, or a mother of five.

BTW -- who else is dying to hear Melissa let loose on Trisha's "Real Live Woman?"

I sat behind a friend of Courtney's from Pearl Heart. Got a good story out of her that is going to make this weeks' edition of Nashville Star Radio. I also had someone tell me they'd seen Pearl Heart at the Bluebird last year. Shawn had some friends in the audience too - including a guy from South Dakota who used to own a bar she sang at.

As I type this I'm watching a re-run of Grand Ole Opry live. Crystal Gayle is singing, and she sounds fabulous. Whatever happened to the idea that old fashioned notion of getting singers who can actually sing?

One of the things I miss this year is the signs and t-shirts from the fans of a particular contestant. It's hard to tell who's got the crowd support - although in the house, Coffey and Shawn seemed to get the biggest reactions.

I interviewed Jewel prior to the show, and Justin after he was eliminated. (I correctly picked that one!) Try not to be jealous of the plush accomodations I enjoyed while I chatted with Jewel. You can hear clips from both interviews Thursday at 8pm ET on XM's Highway 16. We tape the show Wednesday night at 10pm local time, so it's a quick turnaround!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Umm...subtle decor in that interviewing room.

I can't say that there's any one contestant that blows me away yet, but I can see potential in a few. Still don't get why Tommy Stanley is still around though. For me, it was a tossup between the bottom two. I can see why I'm not a fan of Big & Rich though. A lot of what John Rich thinks is good has me scratching my head.

Looking forward to the follow-up on XM tomorrow night.

Paula

Anonymous said...

I'd love to see Melissa sing RLW...she has a lot of Trisha's mannerisms when she sings, it blows me away. :)

Anonymous said...

Sure hope the Navy guy goes home next week he's awful. Melissa has the most talent. Which probably means she won't win. Nashville seems to be into blonde super skinny teenagers at the moment.

Unknown said...

Have to say I agree with "me" and J on this one. I would LOVE to hear Melissa tear into RLW. And, yes, I also find she has a bit of Trisha's mannerisms and she is by far the best singer on the show. As a whole, I am not loving this season so far. We have a lot of local talent here at home that are a lot better than some of the acts on the show, imho. I wanted to root for the local boy (Justin) when I found out he was from Pineville (about an hour away from me), but after I heard him and learned his back story, I was so glad he is gone. Like JR said, this is NOT the gig for him.

And don't even get me started on "pop goes country" night and the song choices. UGH!! Let's just say I was not impressed. But Melissa did kill "True Colors." I hope she does well and goes far on the show.

I think Tommy will likely be next to go.

Unknown said...

It is still difficult for me to watch knowing that the network (not the judges) eliminated probably the best contestant in the top twelve on the first show. That would be Charley Jenkins who is by far the most country and most experienced. He also has incredible vocals. Check him out at www.charleyjenkins.com.

Anonymous said...

Don't throw tomatoes at me, but I think Katie Cook would do a better job hosting by herself. (I'm ducking now.)

Unknown said...

No ducking necessary (from me anyway). I agree with you Annette. I think Katie would do a better job as the actual host than BRC has been doing. I love her backstage chats with the contestants - she is far more personable with them, I think. He just seems stiff and uncomfortable - especially with the teleprompter. And he needs to work on his interaction with the contestants (and judges) after the performances.

DaveBrz said...

OK, haven't see this weeks show yet - maybe tonight if I remember - all I know is I really don't care for anybody but I am also blame it on the poor sound that is sent to TV which makes it sound like they are all karaoke singers at best.