Sunday, May 13, 2007

Hello From Sin City!

Howdy. It's been a long day. But a good one!

Had a full plane from Nashville to Vegas. Richie McDonald was on there, along with a slew of managers, label people, publicists, and media. Beverly Keel and Peter Cooper from The Tennessean... CMT Radio... ABC Radio... and of course, Jon Anthony, Amy Paige and I made up our own little XM Nation high in the skies - with Amy's hubby being an honorary member.



I had talked Sandi into meeting me out there and drafted her to work as my production assistant. She'd never been to Vegas, and I needed someone to hang out with. We met up at the airport and headed for the MGM Grand.

Last time I was out here the awards were held at the Mandalay Bay, and I'd not so much as stepped foot in the Grand. Grand is right, the place is huge! We wandered all over it tonight and still haven't found the arena where the awards show is taking place. We have an excellent view from our room... of Hooters. The Hotel. A cab driver told us it isn't doing very well. Probably because scantilly clad women aren't really a draw in Vegas - they're a way of life.

Our first mission, after dumping our luggage, was to go check out Gilley's. Cool hang... gonna be a great place to do our shows. We hung banners, got the lay of the land, and met the manager. I didn't ride the bull. But I want to. Just so I can buy the t-shirt that says I did.

Next we headed back to the hotel to hang by the pool. Everything at this hotel is movie themed, so they had the Director's Pool, the Backlot Bar, the Casting something or another, etc. They had a Producer's Pool, but it was closed for a private event. I had a nice ride around the lazy river and spent some much needed quality time in the hot tub.

For dinner I'd made reservations at my favorite restaurant here - The China Grill at the Mandalay Bay. For two years I have been craving crispy spinach -- finally I got it! Had an awesome dinner, Sandi really liked it too. Who knew lobster mashed potatoes would rock? We walked through the Luxor (where I'd stayed last time) and the Excalibur, and checked out some views of the strip. At some point, Sandi and I are going to walk the strip... check out the dancing water fountains, Margaritaville, and the M&M store!

Back to work we go next though... we go on the air live at Noon Vegas time tomorrow. (Today for most of you!) Dusty Drake is co-hosting with Jon, Taylor Swift and Tracy Byrd are stopping by. Then there's lots of live music tomorrow night we have to check out. So I'd better get some sleep now while I can!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are already having a swell time on this next adventure. Don't work too hard.

Mary Ann

Unknown said...

Thanks for the update! Sounds like a blast. Keep that PA of yours in line though... she's a tricky one. :)

HAVE FUN and NO SLEEPING!!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks J. for keeping us updated on the ACMS.

Don't have TOO much of a great time!