Thursday, May 24, 2007

What's in A Name?

More years ago than I care to remember, I was working at the NBC tv station here directing the evening news, and one of the crew guys left to go to work for the new arena downtown, which wasn't even open yet. I don't remember his exact title, but he was over the in-house Audio Visual operations. Shortly thereafter, he raided the Channel 4 staff to come free-lance for the Nashville Kats Arena Football Games. In 1996 I went to work for the Nashville Arena.


I have a huge print on the wall behind me given to the game night staff on the Nashville Predators opening night that says it was October 10, 1998. My staff shirt said Nashville Arena, as did all the Predators inagural season jerseys. It was sometime in 1999 that the Predators signed a 20 year deal renaming the arena the Gaylord Entertainment Center. I have tons of ticket stubs, credentials, and even a "Part Time Employee of the Year" plaque from the GEC (pronounced "geck") where I worked everything from gymnastics to charity balls, and basketball games ranging from OVC tournaments to NBA exhibition games.


I worked for the Preds their first 5 seasons, including their first playoff run, missing probably no more than a dozen games total. In the summer of 2004, the NHL locked the doors on the players, and the resulting labor dispute cancelled the 2004-2005 season. My world changed from going into the arena 2 or 3 times a week, to once every couple of months. And I lost a quarter of my annual income.


It was 9 o'clock at night in a hotel room in NYC for the CMA Nominations Announcements when I got the phone call asking me to come back and direct hockey for the 2005-2006 season. By this time my job at XM had lead to me being gone for days on end, and when I was in town, I was at work more than I was at home. Tacking on 41 more nights that I couldn't have dinner with my family wasn't an option. I hung up the phone and cried and cried and cried. Going to a Preds game now - I've done it three times in the past 2 years - is like driving a stake through my heart.

Just over 2 years ago the Predators and Gaylord came to an agreement to dissolve their naming rights partnership - I believe because someone wasn't paying their bill. However, it wasn't until a couple of months ago that the Gaylord name was stripped from the front of the arena, and suddenly, every press release talked about events at "The Nashville Arena (formerly the Gaylord Entertainment Center)."

It's funny all the things I am discovering happened while I was in New Zealand. Yesterday I read a Fan Fair press release that promoted something happening in front of the Sommet Center in Nashville. The Sommet Center? Must be some fancy art place I've never been to. So
I Googled it.


The Nashville Arena... formerly known as the Gaylord Entertainment Center... which was formerly known as the Nashville Arena... is now the Sommet Center.


Not only did I not know what a "sommet" is, I had no idea how to even pronounce that. Was it "summit" or "psalm-it"? Turns out, it's neither. It's "som-MAY." French I guess. Can't wait to hear how badly us rednecks butcher that.

I have so many fond memories of the Nashville Arena. Even more of the Gaylord Entertainment Center. I've never even stepped foot in the Sommet Center - let alone worked there. Yet.

6 comments:

Pam said...

I was wondering what the Nashville Arena was LOL and now it's been renamed again. Sheesh. Thanks for the update, I had no idea where to go to check in for Fan Fair and get my bag of goodies LOL

Anonymous said...

I just had such a huge flashback of you working some gymnastic event, and not knowing who Shannon Miller was...and I was freaking out that you talked to her. :D Or was it women's ice skating? Probably both. I also remember the lock out; wow. Sommet sounds like it wants to be a wine or something. ;-)

Producer J. said...

I had that flashback too! It wasn't that I didn't know who Shannon Miller was... I just didn't know I was talking to Shannon Miller! LOL

June 4, 2004 - I looked up the thread, LOL

Anonymous said...

Well, I thought it was pronounced like comet, as in Halley's Comet. Why can't they just leave it as the Nashville Arena. It's like our Boston Garden that has undergone three or four name changes in about the same number of years, depending on the bank claiming naming rights. We all still call it the Boston Garden anyway. :p

Paula

Anonymous said...

I was reading an article about the Preds being sold and couldn't figure out what they were talking about when mentioning this "Sommet Center." There were so many rumours going around about the Preds...thanks for clearing this up for me!

Producer J. said...

yeah, umm...hello... I just found out today that they were sold.

I am SOOO out of the loop. On everything.