Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Late Night Ramblings

I like to tell people I live in the boondocks now. Sure, it's Metro Davidson County. But I don't have city trash service. I have to drive down windy country roads with no street lights to get to my subdivision. I hear wild geese in the mornings and have spotted wild turkeys on my drive home.

Tonight however, I got a little too close of an encounter to wildlife for my liking. I'm driving down the 2 lane back road, and I see something out of the corner of my eye, and something somewhere somehow tells me to slam on my brakes, which I did... and the car coming towards me in the other lane did... and in the 3 feet or so between us runs this big ass deer. Had I been 2 seconds later with the brakes, we'd have had venison for dinner. Not fun. Of course, the future zookeeper in the seat next to me thinks it's the coolest thing ever.

That wasn't our first deer encounter out here... but it definitely was the closest. A couple of mornings ago one ran across the road like that on the way to school, but it crossed 20 or so feet in front of us, which was beautiful. And safe.

Tomorrow is the last school day before Christmas vacation, which normally brings great joy. However, it's going to be a tragically sad day at our house... because it's the last day for Delaynie's best friend since kindergarten, who is changing schools over Christmas break. Ugh. I don't even know how to help her deal with this.

There's a headline at CMT.com that says Kenny Chesney is recovering from surgery. I saw him at Borders tonight and he looked fine to me. LOL. He was talking on the phone and trying real hard not to be noticed, but it didn't work. Not only did I know it was him, I'm pretty sure the college girl excitedly text messaging in the next aisle knew too.

My Christmas shopping is done (I think) but nothing is wrapped. I have several "homemade" gifts that I want to get finished, and some cooking I still need to do. I can't even believe that we're this close to Christmas. Wasn't it just a couple of weeks ago that I was packing to go to New Zealand?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have alot of encounters like that with deer around here. Not so much this time of the year but early November is bad. My husband hit a deer on his way to work one morning...about 3000 dollars damage to the car but luckily he was alright.

Aww, poor Delaynie, that's rough...hopefully she isn't moving too far away where they can keep in touch and still hang out.

Ya I can't believe Christmas is just 5 sleeps away....I have a few more things to buy and haven't wrapped one present yet either...I guess that will be how I will be spending Friday evening...yippee!!

Anonymous said...

We have a lots of wild animals around here too. Mostly moose. I hit a deer last year and damage my car a lot.

This year have gone so fast, and that Christmas is just a few days a head is almost unbelievable.
But it don't feels like it is only 6 weeks since KC either. It feels like forever.

I have 2 weeks off work now, and are trying to catch up with the housework in a couple of days ;)

Anonymous said...

When we lived in Alabama I was taking the kids to school in the morning and had a deer run in front of the van. Scary.

Don't hate me but I've got all the presents bought and wrapped and under the tree. But I don't work full time either. In fact I don't work at all which makes it much much easier to get things done. LOL

Merry Christmas Everybody !!!

Anonymous said...

Hopefully, Delaynie's friend will still be close by and they can get together from time to time.

I still have some wrapping to do, and plenty of cleaning and cooking left. But, my three little munchkins are here and my oldest grandson will join us Friday so it will be a very Merry Christmas.

Anonymous said...

Christmas? What's that! I still haven't sent out cards! :o

New Zealand does seem like it was yesterday. :)

Anonymous said...

The deer here are so bad they allowed hunters into the Metro Parks to cull the herds. :(

I mailed the cards yesterday. We're not bothering with the tree or decorations as we're going to our daughters this year. Nothing's wrapped, but at least I finished shopping yesterday.

A Blogger said...

If your coming to NewZealand, make sure ya pack your bathing costume, its summer and nice and hot here!