Tuesday, December 04, 2007

More Concert Ramblings

I completely left a couple things out of my suite hopping blog from the weekend, but before I get to that, with Amy's blessing, I'm sharing this cute photo. Who wouldn't wanna be her?

There were two other things I wanted to talk about after the show. One of which was the crowd singing along. Keith seemed to be tickled by them singing back to him. He'd say things like "You sound good Nashville."

To be honest, I could hardly hear them. He needs to go to a Garth show and hear a crowd sing. I mean really.... to compare the two, there was no comparison.

Second thing was ticket prices. Now, I just spent $50 on Garth tickets and got two shows. $25 a show got me 2 multi-platinum artists, about 2 1/2 hours of music, and a ridiculously long set change.

Keith's ticket, which I thankfully did not have to pay for, but was in a similar, lower bowl seat to what I had Opening Night in KC, was $60. Again two acts, one set change, not nearly as long. Gary played a little longer than Trisha, and Keith gave us quite possibly the longest concert I've ever been to with one artist. He had invested in his staging, including the big video screen, which meant less people in the arena (no rear view seats) but those of us who were there could see much better. Two of the 3 nights I was in KC I couldn't see the jumbotron up in the rafters. He also brought out a surprise guest, in the form of Martina McBride.

Did the staging make it a better show? I don't think staging ever does that on it's own. You have to have the music, and the musicianship, and the stage presence. Keith definitely had all of that Did I get a show worth $60? Absolutely. Could I afford to do that on a regular basis? Absolutely not.

A couple of months ago I was at Kenny Chesney at Madison Square Garden. If memory serves, tickets were $70 there. I didn't get to see the full show, but there were 2 opening acts (Pat Green, and Sugarland.) Kenny had the mega monitor wall and a massive stage. Again with a great band, awesome set list, and thanks to all the cameras, an upclose view of everything going on on stage. Suprise guests in the form of MLB players. Was that a show worth $70? Yeah, it probably was. Could he sell out 9 nights in a row at those prices? I doubt it.

So my point is really that as spoiled as we are by Garth's ridiculously cheap ticket prices, it's definitely not the industry standard. And as long as people are willing to pay the prices and feel like they got their money's worth, that's the way it's going to be.

As one more comparison, we made the annual Borchetta-Rizer girls night out to see the Radio City Rockettes Holiday Show last weekend. Those tickets were $65, for a 90 minute show. The staging was beautiful, the show was full of hits, and it's hard to top Santa as a special guest. Was it worth $65? I'm sure all the girls would say yes. In fact, it was worth it for us to see their little faces light up.

The problem that I see is that people only have so many entertainment dollars to go around. Not the superfans, who will go wherever and pay whatever for their favorite artist. But for the average consumer, who can't afford to take their pre-teenage daughter to Hannah Montana, go on a date to see Keith Urban with their husband, and take the whole family to see the Rockettes all within the same month, let alone have their hubby go with the guys to catch the Titans or Predators in action.

So what do they do? They stay home.

11 comments:

DaveBrz said...

Cute photo - I wouldn't mike being Kieth in it.

I am a superfan of a artist and there is limits on what I pay for a show as I have to factor in other costs also (gas and food).

I would rather see a artist in a smaller venues compared to arenas or stadiums.

Paula said...

That picture is adorable! Lucky Keith!

Paula

Anonymous said...

I think it's almost become "accepted" that ticket prices are that steep--$60 is on the low end of average for the DC area, if Ticket Master fees are included and if that's for a decent seat.

For "super" groups like the Eagles, Elton John, etc, tickets for a good seat--even an upper level seat--were around $125. Pretty sick. The worst part is that if you're on a budget, and need to plan in advance to save, or pick between events as far as what you want to do, you don't get much notice.

Pam said...

I just bought tickets to see Diamond Rio here in San Antonio, two tickets were were over $100. I haven't seen them in four or five years and I got 2nd row seats. Since its in town I can pay a little bit more for the concert.

I knew if I waited long enough Trent Willmon would be playing somewhere close enough to me that I wouldn't have to factor in a hotel and gas and food LOL He will be at Gruene Hall in New Braunfels in March..... it's a long wait but he's worth it. :D

Anonymous said...

Awesome picture!! Yeah, lucky Keith.

About ticket prices... Arond here you have to pay around 100$ for big act concerts. But then again, this is a very expensive country.

Anonymous said...

Your point about ticket prices just makes me proud to be a Garth fan. Not only does he keep ticket/merchandising prices down, he's paying the band out of pocket. Not to mention underwriting the staff at Teammates. You just can't take the Okie out of Garth. I wish others would take his lead.

Producer J. said...

Ooh -- I'd love to see a show at Greune Hall sometime -- it's legendary!

Sandi, I'd totally forgotten that you and I paid, what, $125 for Eagles tickets a couple years ago? Yikes! Definitely the most I've ever paid for a show.

Barbara, I don't think we can give all Garth's credit to him being an Okie... After all, that's the state that gave us Toby Keith.

Anonymous said...

Excuse me while I climb up on my soapbox....
I paid $126 to see Keith Urban here in Oz(May 07) and every single cent was worth it. His show completely rocked the roof off the arena like I have never seen it done before.

Keith is doing a one off show in Sydney in March and it's General Admission and Standing only... all for $95. (I'm not going btw)

Now, as for the ahem 'Superstar Performers', Celine Dion is coming here next year and her prices are as follows...
Adult Price:
diamond $399.00
platinum $350.00
gold $295.00
silver $150.00
bronze $99.00

Bloody ridiculous if you ask me!!!!

So as for paying around $50/60/70 for a ticket.... sounds fine to me!!

Producer J. said...

What's the exchange rate Lynette? $126 OZ == what US roughly?

Keith SHOULD be cheaper when he plays in OZ... he doesn't have to get a hotel room. :-D

Anonymous said...

True that Toby is an Okie.


But there's no way I would use Toby as an example of a true gentleman. Garth's a true gentleman. I wonder how much stuff he's actually done for charity that we never hear about. I'd bet its a bunch.

I suss the difference is Garth was raised by Miss Colleen and Toby wasn't. ;)

Anonymous said...

Oops I should have included the exchange rate.
Here ya go...
$126 Oz = $110 US

LOL well he needs a hotel room in Melbourne but in Sydney, he and his lovely wife have an apartment right on Sydney Harbour. The guide pointed it out to Sue(from PG) and I when we climbed the Sydney Harbour Bridge.