Friday, June 08, 2007

13 Minutes With Carrie Underwood

Carrie strode into the press room tonight in what we guestimated to be 7 inch heels. And a 7 inch skirt. The guys in the room were horribly distracted. How much fun must it be to be her stylist? You have a life sized Barbie doll to dress up.

No one asked her about Tony. I think someone would have, because we had plenty of time with her, but there was a reporter from Oklahoma City that seemed to think she could ask lots of questions and not let others get a word in edgewise. What WAS covered in our 13 minutes included:

Fan Fair this year (her third) and how much more comfortable she was versus last year, when she was scared to death. You know, somewhere I must have audio from her first Fan Fair, when she was just giddy over the country stars she was getting to meet. I remember it very well, because we were all wondering why on earth they were pairing the American Idol winner with Phil Vassar.

Getting tackled at the softball game. She said she told some football players to take note, that that was how it was done - and then she quickly made sure to say that they were Tennessee Titans players. ;-)

She doesn't have any pre-show rituals, but does gather together with the band to hang before they go onstage and they say a little prayer.

There was a question about the Pretenders that I was lost what was being asked. (Pretty sure it came from the OK chick.) The answer was that no she hadn't heard from them.

She described recording the duet with Brad as being "pretty nervewracking." She said when they asked her to do it she agreed without even knowing - or caring - what the song was. It doesn't sound like they tracked together, but Brad was there when she did her part.

When asked if her sophomore album was going to be country or would be more cross over she said "Country is where my heart is - and it seems to be working out ok so far!" It's looking like 3-5 co-writes on the project.

Single late summer - no specific timeline for the single or the album because it isn't done yet.

She talked about fitness and diet and said she'd been slacking lately because she'd been home. Oddly, she said she was good when she was on the road. Personally, I blame all the traveling I've been doing for the extra 10lbs I'm carrying around with me. I think we need to road trip together so she can show me how it's done.

She is NOT going to be touring in the fall - not until 2008 when she has new music. I asked her that, and later someone else asked her if she would be headlining and she said it hasn't been decided yet. She also described that idea as "nervewracking" asking "what if no one comes?" My favorite quote of the night was "I will ride the opener wave as far as I can take it." She did mention that a co-headlining tour might be good - but didn't offer who she thought she'd make a good co-headliner for.

Completely editorial remark from me: Another female artist struck out on a headlining tour on her 2nd album, and really didn't have enough material to fill a full set. Give it time.

Someone asked her about the classic songs she's sung on the Opry and she said that was just due to the theme nights she's been invited to participate in.

She credited Dolly, Tammy and Loretta for doing what they'd done that allows her to do what she does. She also said she would like to see more successful women in country music today.

I asked her about singing "Alone" at her fan club party. She explained that it was a thing the fans voted for online out of cover songs she'd previously done, but didn't have anything to comment about it being accoustic. Acknowledging that it went over well she said "We may have to add it." (in reference to the set list, not the album)

She hasn't listened to any new music in a couple of months, but says in her CD player there's everything from country to rock.

She was surprised to hear she was in the running for the World's Sexiest Vegetarian ("Again? Really?") She says she doesn't preach to people about what they eat and doesn't want them to preach to her, but that she has several lines of food that she really enjoys and that she loves Whole Foods and Wild Oats.

After they took her away her record label PR guy told us that Joe Galante was going to make a special presentation to her on stage during the show. Soundscan has her at 5,578,325 units sold, so I'm guessing it's a 6 million plaque (she's singlehandedly keeping the Nashville framers in business!) but I didn't stay to watch the show tonight, so someone is going to have to fill me in.

Stadium show must be over - I can hear the fireworks, and my dogs are going crazy.

Now, my little Carrie Fans - who's your favorite blogger?

You are welcome to share links to my site with other country music fans the world-wide-web over, but please don't copy and paste my info or photos elsewhere. Thanks!

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks J..I can't wait!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks J. for the photo. I can see why you missed your camera!

Anonymous said...

you so are going to get a million hits from carrie fans...hahha

Anonymous said...

Whoa!!!! Carrie is HOT tonight!!

Producer J. said...

Name and town please! (Ok, doesn't have to be your real name, but we can't reply to 17 different anonymous people.)

Thanks! And I **love** getting bombarded by Carrie fans!

Anonymous said...

Thanks j so much! I see you asked her about "alone" being included in her set! OMG I really hope she adds that...I'm seeing her in two weeks and I would die!!

I'm Mandy From Muskgon ,MI

P.S. I check your blog everyday!!

Anonymous said...

OKay, I now bow down to my favorite blogger!

You Rock J. I don't care bout what Jon Anthony says about you! He...he!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, J! You are my favorite blogger, now. :D

sharkbait said...

I only see one blogger in my future and its you! Awesome! You come highly recommened Loved the read. You give us hope for the news about Alone!

Paula, La Mirada, CA.

Anonymous said...

You, you!!! You're my favorite blogger, J! Thank you so much for a whole lotta Carrie stuff. I love it!

(Hello from the Philippines! See, you're famous worldwide :) )

beachboy213 said...

Thanks, from Gulf Shores, Al. Finally a blogger with brains and sass. I love it!

Anonymous said...

I think the question about the pretenders was probably if she had heard anything from them because she covered their song I'll Stand By You!

Anonymous said...

What was the female artist that you are referring to striking out with a co-headlining tour?

Anonymous said...

j you are amazing!!! 13 whole minutes with carrie! thanks for updating your blog and keeping us in the loop

jessica from richmond, va

Anonymous said...

All hail Producer J! Thanks so much for your backstage press recap from here in New York City!

Logan said...

J, J, J...YOU DA WOMAN! Ok you're officially one of my favorite bloggers right now!

Man Carrie in those heels...wish I had those legs! Thanks so much for all the info you got. Carrie fans are grateful!

Anonymous said...

thank u soooooooooooooo much!!! I love Carrie!! You own!

Anonymous said...

Wow! That was really great! Thank you for the excellent blog!! Loved every bit of it!
Carrie is such a humble person. I wish I could spend 13 minutes talking with her haha!
Thanks again!
Oh yeah...I'm from the OKC area lol!

Anonymous said...

Thanx so much!~ love carrie and cannot wait to hear the brad paisely duet...dying here! Sort of dissapointed she is not touring this fall, but it is understandable as she really needs some new material....hoping her album comes out soon! thanx again!
carrie fan from ny

Anonymous said...

I know my favorite Blogger now! Thanks for doing this for us J! You really know how to keep us Carrie Fans happy thanks again

Anonymous said...

Carrie's look has certainly changed too, from when she was paired with Phil Vassar. ;-)

Producer J. said...

Us girls tend to change a little over 2 years. For instance... check out the cover of "She's In Love With the Boy" versus the cover of "The Song Remembers When" to see what 2 years did to Trisha.

Of course - Gretchen Wilson still looks pretty much the same.

John C said...

13 minutes... WOW!!! Lucky you!
I got about 13 seconds with her I think. ;) Thanks for the pic and the nice blog! Looks like I have another blog to add to my favs list on my blog!

J., Carrie fans *love* to bombard, don't they? I see a whole bunch of my Carrie buddies found this blog long before me... and YOU buddies know who you are!!! ;)

John C.
Thousand Oaks, CA

Anonymous said...

Us girls tend to change a little over 2 years. For instance... check out the cover of "She's In Love With the Boy" versus the cover of "The Song Remembers When" to see what 2 years did to Trisha.

Could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure she didn't go from jeans and a hoodie to showing all leg and 7 inch spiked heels. ;-) But, that's the kind of gal she is. :) Image is everything, after all.

Producer J. said...

We'd all kill for Carrie's legs, but I'm sure Carrie is jealous of all Trisha's cleavage. ;-)

Producer J. said...

Ooh - I'm inspired - this would be a great blog topic all to itself. With pictures! Then , Now, and In Between. Kenny with chest hair... Reba along the way of her various plastic surgeries... Shania before she showed everyone her belly button!

Look for it coming soon!

Producer J. said...

And actually - I would bet just about EVERYONE you hear on the radio has gone from jeans and a hoodie to what they're wearing when you see them now. I know Martina doesn't do housework in her spiked heels and short dresses. Kellie Pickler told us at the Press Conference that when she goes out to the store no one recognizes her because she's in jeans and a sweatshirt and looking like a slob. No one runs around looking that glamorous to run around campus or a grocery store.

Stylists make a TON of money creating a look for their stars. Look at how awesome Taylor Swift looks! That's Sandy Spika in action.

I love this topic - my mind is racing with blogging opportunities! Anyone that has "before they were stars" pictures of their favorite artists, feel free to email me at producerj - at - aol.com. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure she didn't go from jeans and a hoodie to showing all leg and 7 inch spiked heels. ;-)

thank goodness! i don't want to see trisha yearwood's legs!!!