Sunday, June 24, 2007

Is it just me?

Or is Reba looking more and more like Naomi Judd these days?



Because honestly, I had a few moments watching "CMT Crossroads" tonight where I thought "wait... who IS that?"

I adore Reba, and as some of you know, I had the great privilege of sitting down with her one afternoon for an XM series I produced called "The Reba Story." Granted, I now realize that she told me the exact same stories the same way she tells them in every interview - I heard some of them again tonight in Crossroads. But to hear her tell them in person was really special.

I had two "favorite" moments that day, both of which happened after the interview was over. One was a conversation about Shelby driving - she was taking him to get his learner's permit as soon as we were through. And the other was after I asked her if we could take a picture together for my mom, and she picked up a CD she'd sent her assistant for during the interview (she couldn't remember who'd produced it) and asked if she could sign it for my mom.

At any rate, Kelly and Reba were too cute together, although it would have been nice to hear Kelly offer up more than "yeah" in conversation. Seeing her bounce up and down on stage mouthing the lyrics when Reba was singing was worth the price of admission. Kelly has a really strong voice, and added almost a bluesy touch, I thought, to Reba's songs. Reba blew her away though when it came to stage presence and facial expressions. It was cracking me up to watch her theatrics for "Does He Love You?" (which I remember LOVING when Kelly did it with Martina on CMT Giants.) I couldn't help but think though, as I was watching them do that song - just once, I would like to hear Reba sing the OTHER part.

I only caught the last 40 minutes or so of the show - if you saw any of it make sure to share what you thought!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved it too!! Reba has such a stage presence, and is such an entertainer--I'm not sure that there's anyone that can outdo her right now.

I agree that hearing the same stories over and over gets old, but there are quite a few artists that do that, even some new ones. Why is that? Comfort?

Kelly's "adoration" of Reba was cute, but it was also nice to see how much Reba liked Kelly's music/songwriting.

Anonymous said...

I taped it but haven't watched it yet. As it happens, I saw Reba this past Saturday night. As usual, she put on a great show!

I much prefer the way she has been putting her shows together the last few times I've seen her. More stripped down and not so much of a "production" piece...and not so many wardrobe changes. I never cared for how she credited her band members by rolling credits on a video screen instead of introducing them from the stage.

Paula

Bernie said...

I think you really need to make that eye exam appointment!

Anonymous said...

I loved the show. I'm not a Kelly fan but she has a great voice and I did love how excited she was to sing with Reba.
Yeah!! What's up with the same ole same ole??
Harriet and I saw Caroline Rhea and someone in the audience said " I heard you tell all these jokes this morning on the radio!!" Its really bad when a comedienne does it!!
Well, we laughed very hard!!
But it's so true!!!

Anonymous said...

I was at the show and they had so much fun singing together. Kelly is very shy, Reba tried to get her to tell a story while the band reset but she said she waa a dork and was too shy to talk about anything, it was cute.

They did tape an extra Kelly song I think that they cute, can't remember what it was.

I think their voices are so cool together.