Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Apparently it's NOT an honor to just be nominated.

According to The Tennessean, Toby Keith is not going to attend the CMA's ever again. Because he doesn't win enough.

But he still feels that he hasn't been given the respect he deserves on Music Row, especially by Country Music Association awards voters. He's been nominated 27 times but has taken home only two awards: top male vocalist in 2001 and top music video in 2005.

"The very same two years I swept through the ACMs and had entertainer of the year twice, I was sitting on the front of the CMAs getting zero," he said.

He said he doesn't know why. "You tell me," he said. Is it because he's not liked? "I don't care; it never mattered.

"The hardest people to answer to was your fans," he said. "It just makes you question the integrity of a system where the person who has the biggest year and is most nominated and has outperformed and been the No. 1 ticket seller, which I was in that time, to walk out 0 for 16."

Because of these experiences, Keith said, he won't attend any future CMA awards shows. "I'm done with it, but I tried to keep that quiet. I don't want this to be sour grapes," said Keith, adding that he doesn't want his decision to hurt the other artists on his label. "It never worked for me; I gave it a full shot.

Nah, no sour grapes there....I hope that means everyone at his label won't be working to get him nominated this year. Because there ARE people who believe that being singled out as one of the five best male vocalists in country music IS an honor - and I'm quite certain that someone like Dierks Bentley or Trace Akdins or Craig Morgan would be HAPPY to have his spot on the ballot.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhh.. you *know* I have a lot to say about this...but I won't. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Thats a shame. I, for one, will miss Toby's pouting as he loses in every category. I remember when Alan Jackson swept the board in 2002, Toby was sat arms folded looking like a boy in the corner who has just been told off by the end of the night.

He did win Male Vocalist, which a certain other Oklahoma entertainer (Garth Brooks) never received from the CMA having to watch another okie (Vince Gill) win it 5 years on the spin. Something Alan Jackson had to endure too, but before finally winning in 2002.

Sometimes it really is just an honor to be nominated. 27 nominations sounds pretty good to me.

Pam said...

WAH WAH WAH

Anonymous said...

You took the words right out of my mouth Pam.:)

Anonymous said...

so much to say, so much to say, there is another blog about this worth pointing out, adds an interesting perspective

http://countryuniverse.wordpress.com/2007/06/27/different-perspectives-toby-keith-and-conway-twitty/

Anonymous said...

the website link again...

http://countryuniverse.wordpress.com/2007/06/27/different-perspectives-toby-keith-and-conway-twitty/

Anonymous said...

Well no need for me to say anything Joyce - you know my feelings on Toby are the same as yours.


~Kim

Anonymous said...

what a bore.