Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Eh?

So apparently... I don't have any Faith Hill or Alan Jackson fans amongst my readers. I'll make a note of that.

So here's a couple of notes for the next time I go see a loud band play in a small club:

1. Earplugs
2. Don't stand in front of the speakers

My ears are STILL ringing and I can't hear out of my left ear.

The showcase for Lonestar was pretty well attended, and I'm really glad I went. It's odd to think that a band with their history is "showcasing." That's when they rent a club, put on a live show, invite some friends to scream really loud, and invite the record label heads to see them perform live, hoping to wow them into getting a record deal. There were at least 4 record label guys that I saw in the crowd, and they really put on a great show.

(Incidentally, the last successful showcase I remember attending was Keith Anderson, at Exit/In. I took my husband, who really liked him. I however, was not so impressed. I think his comments about Garth re-writing "Beer Run" rubbed me the wrong way.)
Back to present day -- Storme Warren brought the band out on stage, and they immediately went into 2 songs that I didn't know. I had my eyes on the new lead singer as he walked out -- who's name is Cody if you haven't heard. He had that look you have on your face right before the roller coaster starts up -- you know you're in for a great ride but it's just a moment of nerves before it starts. Once the first note hit he was comfortable and confident.

So the first 2 songs were fine, I was probably slightly pre-occupied by the fact that they hadn't told us this guy's name yet and like everyone else in the room, I was thinking "how does he sound compared to Richie?" I had 2 songs worth of "Hmm... Lonestar. Are they still Lonestar? Can they continue to be Lonestar?" Michael's there, Keech is there, Dean is there... it's mostly Lonestar.

And then... they launched into "What About Now." And I got it.

When we were out in Vegas Richie and Dean came by our live broadcast and told us they wanted to rock, and that it's hard to rock out to "Mr. Mom." Tonight, they rocked.

They didn't QUITE look like Lonestar, and they didn't QUITE sound like Lonestar, but it was still very much LONESTAR. The music was there, and ratched up a notch. High energy, fresh arrangements -- it was Lonestar on Red Bull. And I smiled, knowing that Lonestar would go on.

They did a few more hits, (including "Amazed" and "No News"), and then closed out with a brand new single that is clearly a smash. It's called "Future" and it's a 'driving down the highway fast' kind of song. love, Love, LOVED it. They've recorded it, and it was playing as the party wound down.

I didn't quite finish my Driver's Ed show tonight, but I did put in a 14 hour day today, so I'm going to call it a night.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

How does Amazed on Red Bull sound? LOL I love that description!!

I'll find a Faith fan for ya. I know of one, if he isn't here lurking already. :) Thank you for sharing, though!! Jealous, as always. :)

Anonymous said...

I like both Alan and Faith, even though I'm not their biggest fan. And I do enjoy reading about your experiences with them and every other stars as well. :) Thanks for sharing with us!

Jeremy Reaves - The Realtor Guy said...

I'm a HUGE Faith Hill fan, and I, for one, am tickled pink over your posts about her. I really would have loved to have been "in your shoes." Keep the Faith stories coming - I'll read and enjoy them!!!

Anonymous said...

Woohoo..another Keith mention! :P
BTW the original version of Beerrun is supposedly on his new CD...whenever it gets released that is.

Anonymous said...

I like Alan. Surprised he's not up for male vocalist and album. I mean even his gospel album got an album nod for crying out loud!

Maybe this is a hint for Alan to go back to his winning formula, which I think he will anyway with the next record. 'Like Red On A Rose' never really grew on me.

As for Faith? Bleh.

Anonymous said...

I am an Alan Jackson fan. I used to be a Faith fan, now not so much. :)

John C said...

What? No Faith fans? Well, I've liked Faith's stuff for a very long time... and she's got A LOT of fans out there! I got to see her and Tim perform last month and they were nothing short of awesome!

I'm still quite peeved at the media for what they did to her last year - and this is coming from a HUGE Carrie fan... Am definitely looking forward her Greatest Hits set!

Anonymous said...

I like Alan, although IMO, 'Like Red On a Rose' is the worst C.D. he's ever made!
I was a big fan of Faith until 'Breathe'....if I never hear that song again it'll be too soon!
Like her older stuff more I guess.

It had to be strange to hear the 'New' Lonestar....haven't heard much about Richie's solo venture?

Anonymous said...

I have tickets to see Lonestar next month. Is Richie still finishing out the year, or will I be seeing Cody?

Paula