Friday, March 23, 2007

I'm at a Buffett Concert!

Ok, not really. But I did get the upcoming Alan Jackson / George Strait / Jimmy Buffett Live CD today, and am listening to it now. So far, I'm just about through Strait's portion.

The booklet credits additional recording at the Sound Emporium in Nashville, and I'd bet some of the vocals have been redone. For instance... Strait on "Honk if You Honkytonk" sounds very different than he does on "Cowboys Like Us." To the live album purists, that's a problem. Personally, I could use a little more crowd in what I've heard so far. I'm thinking the crowd at Texas Stadium probably knew the words to "All My Exes Live in Texas" as well as "Margaritaville." But it's a great collection of duets (and trios!) some of which can't be found anywhere else.

I also thought it was interesting that the booklet, which lists each artists' band, doesn't have a female backup singer for either George or Alan - but she was definitely there for their duet. Wes Hightower - who MUST be the most recorded background studio singer in Nashville - is credited as being in the Coral Reefer Band that day! (Jimmy gives him a shoutout at one point)

I'm still listening... need to get a Margarita before Jimmy comes on. On the CD, Alan closes the show. If I had to guess, I'd have thought perhaps George or Jimmy would have been the bigger star there. I need to find a setlist from the actual show and see how it really went.

Fins to the left!

Edit: I've found the setlist for the show. Alan opened the show, and Jimmy closed it. I wonder why MCA - George's label - put him first? The show is very much out of order - Jimmy's second encore comes right in the middle of the CD.

A new Van Zant single was released today. Happy Friday to me!!! It's stellar. Very much the same vein as "Things I Miss The Most" which was the standout track on their last album, but got lost in the shuffle when Sony and BMG merged. This is FABULOUS. As soon as Jay Thomas gets back from vacation, I'll be bugging him to add it. Feel free to bug him too. ;-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, that album sounds all weird. :P And don't let a certain Danish person get a hold of THIS live album, too... ;-) GB's is bad enough!

Can't wait to hear the new VZ single, I loved Things I Miss the Most.