Thursday, May 08, 2008

My Eddy Arnold story

Anyone who's worked in this town for any length of time probably has an Eddy Arnold story. His career lasted longer than many people spend on this earth. I've yet to hear a story about him that wasn't favorable, and more often than not includes the word "gentleman."

I met Mr. Arnold the first time about 5 years ago. It was summertime, and he was coming into our studios for an interview in conjunction with something he was doing at the Country Music Hall of Fame. Unfortunately, our setup there didn't include a green room, and he was waiting between events in the employee break room, drinking coffee out of a styrofoam cup.

This particular day my daughter was in the building, she would have probably been around 6 at the time. When they crossed paths, Mr. Arnold talked to her, asking her name and age, typical kindergarten chit chat. She of course, had no idea who she was talking to.

I went back into the studio and told the DJ about Delaynie chatting up a Country Music Hall of Famer, and we laughed how someday, when she learned who he was, Delaynie would scold me for not getting her picture taken with him.

Unfortunately, so many people today, including those who work in this industry, don't know Mr. Arnold's contributions to country music. As the media reflects on his life over the next few days, pay attention to the things that he accomplished. He was one of country music's first superstars.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had goosebumps when I heard--I loved his music. :(

Some of today's artists should really pay attention to the "elders" of country music...

Anonymous said...

Indeed, we lost truly a superstar; and a very sweet and kind man.

Unknown said...

Very well said J. And I agree, today's young stars should show much more respect to their "elders" in the business. They could learn alot from someone like Mr. Arnold. He will be missed.

Anonymous said...

I hope you're having a wonderful weekend, J... Happy Mother's Day!