Monday, May 19, 2008

Yeah! What Kenny Said

There's a very good, comprehensive article on CMT.com about Kenny Chesney's reactions to winning Entertainer of the Year, which was Fan Voted for the first time.

Go Kenny! I totally agree. As much fun as it is for the fans to have a voice, I don't think this is the appropriate place for it. They have their award shows, which in reality are a matter of who can spend the most time clicking on the internet. If the ACM's want to do a Fan Voted award, they need to make one -- a Fan's Choice. I'm sure they could sell a sponsorship to it... But don't cheapen the legacy of the Entertainer of the Year by turning it into an endurance test for mouse clickers. If you REALLY want the fans to determine, then award it based on who played to the most fans over the past year.

Plus, the ACM already has a "fan" level of membership, which at least would allow controls over how often people vote. I have never understood elections where one person gets to vote over and over again.

But that's just me. Your thoughts?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree with you more.. you are preaching to the choir :)

I hate awards voted on by the fans..it's useless!

Sean Harding said...

They should just make a "fan favorite" award. That'll give the fans a way to feel like they have input, without screwing up the other categories.

Anonymous said...

You don't think he would have won anyway? Not that I think he should have...and not that I don't agree with you. :)

DaveBrz said...

To be honest, I didn't know about fan voting until last nigh but I agree with Kenny that it should not be for Entertainer of the Year.

Personally, if the ACM wanted fan voting, it should be a Fan Favorite with ALL artists eligible so that is a true fan favorite.

music said...

I agree that the ACM EOTY should not be fan voted next year. It's one thing to have fans pick the CMT video award winners, but the ACM's should be an industry-voted award IMO.

I like your idea of starting a fan's choice or fan favorite category if they want to get non-ACM members involved.

Producer J. said...

I personally think he would have won anyway, and I think he definitely should have -- no one is doing the kind of numbers he is.

Fortunately this year had (IMHO) a good outcome - but I can see how it could go bad. I just don't like the whole idea.

Anonymous said...

I agree. We have 'The People's Choice' awards all ready, the ACM's don't need to follow suite.

Especially if one can vopte multiple times.