Sunday, February 11, 2007

A BIG Night for Country

When I wrote my Grammy Blog for XM about all the potential "firsts" on GRAMMY night, this one never occurred to me:

The first time country artists won all four "All Genre" awards.

Now I haven't done the research to see if this really was the first time, but I can't imagine it wasn't. Later edit: I've since done the research, and it was. And I know there are those who will say the Dixie Chicks aren't country, but they won 2 country awards, and weren't nominated in any other genre, so I say we still get to claim them.

I hope you caught some of XM's live coverage today, it was really amazing. I know how much prep goes into working a red carpet and press room at a Country award show. I can't IMAGINE how you deal with an Every Genre Award show. Kudos to my buddy Paul Bachman, Scott Walterman, Trinity (who is the fabulous female voice you hear on the US Country production!), Lou Brutus, and the rest of the team out there. I did hear the Grascals get interviewed on the red carpet - and then our guys brought it up again later about the G's being excited about seeing Beyonce and Christina Aguil...however you spell her. Boys will be boys.

There were a couple of interesting GRAMMY things in this morning's Tennessean.

First was an article about how country artists were the only acts not able to do their own songs on the show. Joe Galante (head of mega label group SONY BMG Nashville): "Our songs are as good as anybody's. Why are you telling us we can't sing them? ... We have to sing other people's songs to be on the show."

And then there was a feature with Vince Gill who said "People ought to come if they're nominated. Most people's perception is 'If I'm not going to be on TV, I'm not going.' That's very whiney. Very unprofessional."

So I was very surprised to be listening to the pre-telecast awards live on XM 200 and hear Charley Pride accept on the Best Country Male award on Vince's behalf.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved the live Grammy coverage! But once the awards started...wow. That's a LOT of awards. :o Need to remember in what order they're given out for next time. ;-)

Vince, Vince, Vince...I hope someone asks him to explain that comment.

The Grascals made me laugh. :)

The Chicks were amazing!!! Five out of five, and Rick Rubin also won. So incredibly deserving. :)

Unknown said...

Go Chicks, Go Chicks, Go Chicks!!! That was just brilliant. So proud... whatever the hell genre they live in... I'll take 'em.

Really interesting observation about RF & Carrie not singing their own stuff. Not sure what to say about that but... yeah, I'm just shutting up.

I've gotta hand it to Miss Sandi for giving me the running updates of the awards. I was at a birthday party for the cutie one-year-old in my life and away from my XM.

Vince... what to say? Do I really care about busting my ass back to work to see his concert? Paula, are you going to North Shore to see him in March? lol.

Unknown said...

oh, also bummed about the Mr. & Mrs. not winning... especially with who did. I like the song... but for a Grammy? Anyway... apparently they weren't there anyway. I know that'll piss Vince off.

Anonymous said...

Lish, you kill me. :P So glad we met at Lowell. :)

DaveBrz said...

Didnt watch any of the Grammys but did catch a little of the preshow on the radio when I was in the car.

Anonymous said...

I did have XM on in the background and heard the pre-show awards...had to wait until the bitter end for the country awards. I did hear the Grascals' comments about who they were looking forward to seeing. :p

As for Vince not being there, this statement was in the email I got today from the fan club - With this latest win, Gill has claimed more Grammys than any other male country artist in history. “I don’t think that I’ve ever missed a Grammy show—I was torn about that. I’m regretful that I couldn’t be there to receive the Grammy but thankful that I got to spend one more night at home with my family.” Gill leaves today for five weeks on the road.

...and Lish, yes I will be going to the concert at North Shore. :)

Also in the email were the dates and times for Artist Confidential - Gill’s appearance on XM’s “Artist Confidential” show will also be broadcast in March. The dates, times and channels are Monday, March 12, noon, US Country (Channel 17); Wednesday, March 14, 8 a. m., America (Channel 10); Friday, March 16, 9 p. m., US Country; Saturday, March 17, 3 p.m., US Country; Sunday, March 18, 3 p. m., Highway 16 (Channel 16). All times are Eastern. (All dates are subject to change.)

The email also mentioned an interview with Dr. Maya Angelou for XM Satellite Radio’s Oprah & Friends that will air in March at a date and time yet to be determined.

Paula