Friday, February 23, 2007

Things You Can Count On

I don't know who said "There are two things you can count on - death and taxes" but I'm thinking it should have been one thing - that taxes will be the death of me!

Every year it's the same thing. I think I'm going to have some nice big fat deductions - especially this year since I had to buy a laptop for work. I agonize over stupid receipts, and inputting all the numbers, and STILL it tells me I'm better off taking the standard deduction.

I guess that's one way to avoid an audit. But it makes me wonder why I bother worrying about getting Gary's work clothes on a separate receipt. Check the box and be done.

So. Question(s) du jour: Do you do your own taxes? And have you done them yet?

I, obviously, do. And I guess they're about as done as they're going to get. At least I won't have to stress over them for another year.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I get everything together and help my brother-in-law, the accountant, do our taxes. But like you, I worry about having every receipt and lately we can just take the standard deductions. It is really a pain in the butt.

Anonymous said...

We get an income tax company to do ours....the only thing we worry about is not buying enough RRSP's, otherwise we end up paying.
We're waiting on a few more receipts and then we'll get it done.

Anonymous said...

I do my own and my mother's. Guess what I'm doing this weekend?

sandi said...

I do my own, and it's a pain in the butt since technically I'm "self-employed", even though I'm not. I always wait until the last possible moment. :)

Anonymous said...

No and hell no. The CPA is worth every bit of the $200 we pay him to do it. It makes my head hurt to even think about doing my own taxes.

Pam said...

The hubby does our taxes and efiles them. The money we get back goes in our IRA account. We never have enough deductions to itemize them, but those three kids sure come in handy every year LOL

Anonymous said...

I do my own and worked on them last weekend. I'm missng a 1099 so I'm waiting for that to be sent to me so I can finish them. I'm paying federal and gettng a refund from the state (at least before I factor in that missing 1099), so it's pretty much a wash. I do itemize because my real estate taxes bring my deductions over the standard.

Paula

Anonymous said...

We have to file a return in every flipping municipality we sell a house in, so we absolutely pay someone to do the taxes.