Monday, February 05, 2007

Fiji. And other Monday Ramblings

I personally thought Budweiser had the best commercials in the Super Bowl. Never did see the Rascal Flatts spot. But I confess that a promo for Survivor Fiji also caught my attention.

Now really. How tough can it be to survive in Fiji?

I would like to find out. Anyone else?

In the meantime, however, I do have a tour stop on the Producer J. World Tour in the Southern Hemisphere this spring. (And actually, the airline I'm flying offers a stop in Fiji, if I'd be so inclined.) Although I'm beginning to think the likelihood of co-ordinating my work schedule, the schedules of my daughter and hubby whom I'm leaving behind, and a piece of equipment than needs to cross the Pacific on schedule in order to pull this off might be akin to the likelihood of me winning the 5K I'm running next weekend.

We get some interesting stuff in the mail here at the Country Music Hall of Fame. Clearly... or maybe not so clearly... we do pretty much nothing but country related programming out of here on a daily basis. However, sometimes we get on a mailing list for other genres of music, which can be interesting.

Today a CD single came through with a title that I can not type here, being a family-friendly blog and all. There were 3 versions of the song:

1. Main
2. Clean
3. Squeaky clean

It had a skull of some sort on the cover and did not make it to my CD player.

I was highly amused to get an email today from some rocket science department or another inside XM that began with this sentence:

By now IT Operations is sure that everyone is aware of the changes to the starting and ending dates for daylight savings time.

Umm... don't be so sure. Upon Googling for more information I see that America is doing something wacky, and apparently the rest of the world may or may not follow. Am I the only one who was in the dark (pun kind of intended) about this? Apparently it's going to create all kinds of computer scheduling nightmares. Joy.

There are 2 songs out right now that I really can't stand to hear. Today I heard 'em back to back. So I thought I'd throw them out there and get some other opinions.

First is the new Jack Ingram song "Lips of An Angel." I know it's a rock remake, although I've never heard the original. Lyrically I think the song is just stupid. (My girl's in the next room. Sometimes I. Wish she was you.) Like something a pop boy band should be singing on Radio Disney. Country music is better than that, isn't it? The music grates on my nerves too. We get a crazy amount of requests for it though. (And it certainly wouldn't be the first time a song I didn't like was a monster smash hit.) What is it about that song? Am I the only one that doesn't like it? Do you love it?

The other is the new Little Texas single "Your Woman." Again - it sounds like a rock song. I can't stand the sound of this one either - although it comes more from the music this time than the lyrics. It doesn't sound country, and it doesn't sound like Little Texas. Which is what happens when you change lead singers.

On the subject of musical band members, I'm working with Emerson Drive later this month. Their website doesn't list the band members by name. (Probably because they keep changing.) I'm counting on my friends north of the border (*cough*susan*cough*) to give me a crash course.

Ok, I've rambled long enough for tonight. (Don't believe the time stamp on this blog, I started making notes earlier today, but am actually posting around 7pm.) Tomorrow we're going to talk about a mutual songwriter acauaintance a lot of us have, and a show she's doing for XM.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just read about the change for daylight savings time and I like it. I wish we had it all year round.

Anonymous said...

Lead singer Brad Mates, guitarist Danick Dupelle, keyboardist/guitarist Dale Wallace, fiddler David Pichette, bassist Patrick Bourque and drummer
Mike Melancon.

I like some of Emerson Drive's stuff but don't know a whole heck of alot about them J, sorry.
I did find this fan based site you could visit though.
http://emersondrive.homestead.com/home.html

Pam said...

I'm with you on those two songs, don't like either one of them. Although I have to confess to not listening to the radio much lately, much rather listen to CD's or my Ipod then I know I'll hear something I like LOL

Had a power outage on the base this evening, so the kids and I went outside while the hubby fielded calls about what the heck was going on (Sucks to be a Commander when something goes wrong)Started out playing soccer and when it got too dark for that we brought out my oldest daughters school laptop and watched Madagascar LOL It was a blast. :D

Sometimes life in the AF is fun LOL

Anonymous said...

I loved the Oprah/Dave commercial; it caught me off guard and really made me laugh. :D

Your logistics issues are ones that I bet most of us wish we had... ;-)

Ummm...can't wait to find out what song that was that was sent in 3 versions!

And oh, oh... songwriter!!! :P

Unknown said...

I can't stand those two songs either... as soon as I read your blog, Lips of an Angel came on GAC, good timing... and good time to switch the channel. :)

That Little Texas song makes them sound like a band that never should have been signed... I don't get it.

Love, love, LOVE Emerson Drive, by the by. Their new release "Moments" is a very powerful song, in my opinion... but I"m a sucker for that kind of song. Whatever that kind of song is. :)

The Oprah/Dave commercial made me laugh out loud, a lot. I didn't really care for many of the commercials at all, except the Coca-Cola ones... very strong stuff there. :) Again, I'm a dork.

Anonymous said...

Here is the new Daylight Savings info!!


The US and Canada have changed their Daylight Savings Time (DST) schedule effective 2007. Daylight Savings Time in the US and Canada will begin March 11, 2007 (three weeks earlier) and will end November 4, 2007 (one week later).

Frank Strovel III said...

Not a fan of "Lips Of An Angel" and I've been playing Jack's music since his "Flutter" days ten years ago. But to be fair, there are a boatload of songs just like it from established artists who should know better.

The new Little Texas? Ho hum.

Sharon said...

I really enjoyed the Bud Lite commerical with the hitchhiker with the ax and then the chainsaw. I love the facial expressions!

Jack Ingram song - can't stand it and haven't heard the Little Texas one yet.

Anonymous said...

I haven't heard either of those songs...sounds like I'm not missing anything.

This is the first I have heard about the change in DST. What is the reasoning behind the change?

Paula