Thursday, February 01, 2007

Well.... Rats!

Regular readers might recall my last trip to XM HQ, when I gave up the hotel and slept on a couch. This week, the freakin' Washington Post ran an article about XM's rodent problem. And we're not talking cute litle squeaky mice. The internal memo that they excerpted included the phrase "the size of house cats." The Rouge suddenly looks a WHOLE lot better.

Montgomery Gentry has cut a zillion alternative sports team versions of their new single, which has a Bengals reference in the original version. The problem is... they're Bengals fans. To the point where Eddie came in wearing a Bengals jersey the day they cut ShortCuts. So I don't know.. it kinda cheapens the song to me. Am I wrong? Do you get excited by hearing them reference, say... the Red Sox... on the radio - even if you can't buy that version of the song and know they aren't really Red Sox fans?

For instance, everyone knows Kenny Chesney is a UT fan. I wouldn't want to hear him substitute "Go Vols" in a song with "Go Wildcats." Kenny is going to see his buddy Peyton Manning play in the Super Bowl, in case you were wondering. Kenny can't take a shower these days without us getting a press release about it!

I did some cross channel pollinating yesterday. Kyle was out sick, so Marty Fitzpatrick, from X-Country filled in on his live show, and interviewed Jesse McReynolds. Now Marty has only gone live on XM once before in his life, and that was months ago. And that's once more than I've ever gone live. The two of us trying to figure out how to load the music log was the real entertainment! Funny thing was, last week I was looking over my 2006 goals in advance of my annual review, and one of the things I failed to do that was on my list was learn the functionality of going live, so that I could should events warrant. Woops.

Marty did great though, and the interview went well, and to show his appreciation for my help, he brought me chocolate chip muffins. You gotta love a man who brings you chocolate. Speaking of interviews, Mountain Heart is in studio right now, and Barry, their banjo player, was giving Kyle a hard time about having The Grascals in - again. LOL. You don't think we play favorites do you?

When I give you the rundown of GRAMMY events next week, make sure I tell you about a cool Country event that we're carrying live!

It is cold here in Nashville, cold to the point where I had to dig out the winter coat I bought last year to go to Country in The Rockies. But despite the weather channel getting my daughter all excited with the phrase "90% chance of snow" last night, we got nothing, and school went on as scheduled.

The saddest, most pathetic voice you've ever heard came into the kitchen this morning and said "I don't think there's any possible way we're ever going to get snow in Nashville."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww... it's FREEZING here. 25 during the DAY. We were supposed to get snow/freezing rain also, but it may come in overnight instead. Can you say, morning rush hour hell? ;-)

If 'Laynie's good at scraping cars you can send her to me. :D

Oh, and can I have had the WORST week in years??? :(

Anonymous said...

Looks like blogger hiccuped and posted your blog twice.

Eek to the mouse invasion, although I'm on my way to visit THE MOUSE tomorrow. :)

Personally, I wouldn't put the word excited in the same sentence with MG. :p Terri Clark did that with one of her songs, and I seem to remember someone else doing that as well, so it's not anything new. It's similar to when you go to a concert and, invariably, the artist has a song that mentions a city in the original and they substitute the name of the city where they are performing...and the crowd cheers.

I'm thrilled that we haven't had much in the way of snow so far this winter...and I hope it stays that way. It can get as cold as it wants...I don't have to shovel *cold*. They were talking about a substantial snowfall tonight into tomorrow, but that forecast has changed to rain and snow showers.

Paula

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

We've got plenty of snow up here in Illinois that has not left the ground. Can I send you some?

Figures Paula, I leave New England to get away from the usual cold and snow... and here I am.

The Bears/Colts rivalry is enough to melt all this though! Although it's gonna be negative temps next week - woot woot!

(btw, Prince rocks)

Anonymous said...

What I wouldn't give for cold weather or even snow!!!

We here in Oz had 95 today, 90 tomorrow and 100 (or more) Sunday & Monday :( :(

It's been a long HOT summer and I am over it!

Pam said...

It's actually been chilly here in San Antonio. Just enough that it actually feels like we are having a season other than Hot and Hotter than H#$%.

Had an ice storm about two weeks agao, kids missed two days of school they were thrilled until they found out they would have to make them up. LOL They don't build weather days into the school schedule down here.