Sunday, February 18, 2007

It was a good idea at the time...

We've been trying to get Emerson Drive into the studio to tape ShortCuts forever now... those boys have been busy touring Canada and Jon doesn't have a passport, and really, who wants to go to Canada in the winter? (No offense to Susan and the gang) So we're just now catching up to them (tomorrow) in Nashville. In setting up the interview the conversation went something like this:

Publicist: How many of them do you want?
Me: There are 6 of them right? What are my options?
Publicist: I can get you just Brad (the lead singer) if you want. We do that a lot.
Me: Hmm. It's a big show for one person to carry for the whole band.
Publicist: Do you want just a couple? We could do Brad and 2 others.
Me: Ok... a good option. What would happen if we did all 6 of them?
Publicist: Oh they do that all the time... they're good about not talking all over each other. Do you want them all? I can do it.
Me: Sure, bring 'em on!

And so now I am faced with writing a show in which 7 people are speaking. 6 of whom I know very little about. My only prior experience with The Drive is when I interviewed Brad for my Shania series. And that was on the phone.

Wish us luck.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

From the conversation, it sounds like you were looking for the challenge, and I have no doubt you'll do it. Hope they're not all going to try to shoehorn themselves into that little studio at the HOF!

Paula

sandi said...

Oh J... GOOD LUCK!!! :( I know you'll kick butt though!

Producer J. said...

Well. Things got even more interesting.

Jon called in sick... he's deathly ill at the moment. Guess who got to host the show at the last minute?

At which point, I was cursing the decision to get all 6 of them in there. Especially when I found out that a couple of them speak better French than English. Although... only five of them came... one had to get a tooth pulled.

They were great though - good sports and very patient with me. I did the audio on split channels, so I can always go back and edit Jon in later.

oy vey.

Anonymous said...

No offense taken J, I wouldn't come here either, especially in February!!

Glad your session with Emerson Drive turned out good.:)

sandi said...

Any more news on the D-I-V-O-R-C-E?

Producer J. said...

Just wanting the record to reflect that Sandi was talking about Terri Clark's divorce... nothing related to Emerson Drive. (None of whom are married.)