Thursday, February 01, 2007

On Location - Nashville Star

Was in the audience for Nashville Star tonight. Special thanks to Sandi who kept me entertained by listening to my text messaging commentary. And anyone who knows me knows I *hate* text messaging. I need a phone with a full keyboard. But it gave me something to do in the commercial breaks.

Anyway, a few tidbits. Jewel sang live, the Wreckers did not. Although they did it in one take. I can't for the life of me figure out what Michelle Branch was wearing. Their fiddle player, Jason, played with Keith Urban back in 2000+. Jason was a lone bright spot in a completely hellacious weekend I spent on the road with Keith.

So back to Jewel. She could give Kellie Pickler a run for her money in those red high heels. I'm not sure when it became fashionable to wear red high heels with a pink dress, but ok. Did you see her perform? She yodeled. The only other song I have ever heard her sing was "Silver Wings" with Haggard. (Yes, I know she did C2C #2 with Garth, but I somehow never managed to see it.) Sources tell me she's working on a country album. There's not a lot of yodeling on country albums these days.

(Completely sidetracking for a moment - did I tell you Bon Jovi is recording a country album in Nashville these days too?)

Big & Rich were in the house tonight, along with Two Foot Fred, watching the show from the skybox with Cowboy Troy's (very pregnant) wife. Big Kenny's wife with the exotic name that I can't remember was there too. The guy that got sent home the first week was there - again. Not in the skybox.

They should have put John & Kenny in the audience - there weren't enough people in the theater, so they moved a bunch of folks from the general admission section in the back down in front of the TV cameras.

I talked to Blake Shelton after the show... the comment you WON'T hear on the air was his initial reaction when I mentioned that the winner got a recording contract with his record label, and he said that was more like punishment. He was joking. I think.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not only is Jewel doing a country album..but I believe I saw an interview with her and the "Allyssa Lies" guy where she compliments the heck out of him and says they're writing together for her album, and/or singing together on it? Their voices will sound interesting together. :)

Jewel doesn't typically sing country. Her other material is amazing, and she's a wonderful songwriter.

I'm drooling over hearing Bon Jovi's country album. :P

Anonymous said...

Hi J,

When I was watching the show tonight I could have sworn I saw Amanda Wyatt (Keith Urban's alleged fling) when they showed the audience at the end of The Wreckers song, do you know if she was there?

Very funny comment by Blake, and I was also wondering what Michelle was wearing. They looked very nervous.

Thanks.

Producer J. said...

oh my Gosh I'm SOOOO glad you said that! Because I saw that girl too and thought that was who it was. But then I thought I was thrown off by the hat worn sideways like she had in that picture of her and Keith and I was just imagining things!!!

I'm going to have to go look at her picture again.