Wednesday, February 07, 2007

A Decade Plus 1

Today was the 11th Anniversary of the day I moved to Nashville. Which I swear was determined by my needing to report to work on the 9th, and not at all related to anyone who happened to have been born on Feb. 7th. Although it's an ironic coincidence.

I celebrated today by writing an enormous check to the orthodontist and chopping about 7 inches off my hair. Then I went to go see one of my favorite chick singers.

XM airs this series, produced by the Nashville Convention & Visitors Bureau, called "Music City Connection: Heroes Behind the Hits." I personally call it MCC. But I'm lazy. Anyway, the NCVB does all the work, we just air it. And I have absolutely nothing to do with it other than to listen to it on the radio.

Imagine my surprise to have a friend forward me the invitation to the next MCC taping, held at the Frist Center, featuring Chely Wright, Gary Burr, and Victoria Shaw. Surely not the same Victoria Shaw who testified against XM before Congress?

Being that I absolutely adore Chely, and not one to miss some potential fireworks, I crashed the event. Invitations were apparently sent to everyone on Victoria's and Chely's email lists, so it wasn't really hard to do. Although I did invite my friend, the Queen of Event Crashing to go with me, but she wasn't available.

The show was absolutely fabulous, as you'd expect. It was SO funny, but also had some really tender moments too. Chely and Victoria were just non-stop comedy. And unlike sometimes when you hear songwriters who are great writers but not really such great singers, these three all have amazing voices. Great radio. The whole series always garners great reaction. Chely did a couple of unrecorded songs, one of which was completely hysterical. I love her. Have I mentioned that? Love her.

Victoria's self-titled cd is one of my favorite albums ever. I'm listening to it as I type, as a matter of fact. "In Spite of It All" "Just To Say We Did" "You Say The Grace" "All For the Sake of Love." Her voice is really stellar.

There were no fireworks, however. Chely was raving about XM, and she asked Gary and Vic if they had XM (he did, she, obviously, didn't) and she made a pitch to get one given to her from the stage. I'm pretty sure we gave radios to the people who testified FOR us before Congress. Against us, apparently not. Regardless, she sounded amazing. There are singers with major label record deals who can't sing half as well as she does.

I'm not sure when or which channel this show will air on, but I will let you know. There's one ahead of it in the series, so it will be a couple of months.

In spite of it all
Somehow I survived
I still get out of bed
One day at a time


Seriously, go find Victoria's first album.

7 comments:

DaveBrz said...

I wanted so bad to go to that taping as I knew it would be a ton of laughs having seen Victoria and Gary before together and when I saw Chely in the City where a gained a ton of respect for her with what she brought to a songwriter series.

Anonymous said...

Did ya ask Vicky about testifying? Or about being broadcast on XM? That would have made for great radio. :)

I can't wait to hear this...I hope Chely sang Ain't Getting Younger. Love that one!

Producer J. said...

Dave - I saw Ellen there!

No, nothing was said about her testifying. They made several XM references throughout the show. Perhaps she's realized we aren't evil after all.

Pam said...

I love Chely too :D Can't wait to hear the show.

Anonymous said...

They have a new show on GAC, something like "A Year", hosted by Mark Wills. Last night the year was 1998, and they played the video for Where Your Road Leads... written by Victoria Shaw. Which they mentioned during the video. (It's kind of fun, during the videos they scroll all kinds of trivia about the artist, song, video, etc at the bottom of the video. Fun stuff!)

DaveBrz said...

J, Glad that you saw Ellen there.

I would think that Chely did sing Ain't getting younger as that is a great song for this type of show.

Anonymous said...

Seven inches! Time for a new picture.

Sounds like a great show...looking forward to hearing it when it airs.

Paula