Saturday, February 24, 2007

I'm the Queen of...

Multi-tasking!

There's not much I'll admit to being very good at in life, but in this, I excell.

I've been noticing it a lot lately, because of something a friend said the other night. She was hanging with me while our daughters were in their Girl Scout meeting. During that hour and a half I ran errands, made lists, talked on the phone, and stuffed the children's bags for church. She says "you just don't ever stop, do you?"

Well I got thinking about it. Earlier in the day I'd made G.S. folders while sitting in the doctors' office. My greatest joy at work is when I have both fast studios because I can have several projects cooking at once. (And give the tourists whiplash if they watch me bopping from room to room.) My greatest stress is toiling in a slow studio on a computer where I'm unable to have a bunch of things running at once. At any given moment while I'm on the computer I've usually got a couple different programs on, and possibly chatting with my family online, writing scripts, and running logs.

And let's not even begin to talk about the system I have created to do laundry.

However... I'm always open for more efficient ways to do things. Especially while driving (which I realize, has limited options) or riding in the car (where it's not unusual for me to have my laptop plugged in to the cigarette lighter.) We had a 30 minute drive tonight to have dinner with friends and it about killed me to not be able to do anything since it was dark.

I need to keep a CD player in my car so I can get more work done on the commute. But what else? How do you economize time? What is your favorite multi-tasking combination?

Help me achieve multi-tasking world domination.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't multitask well at all so I won't be much help. I find it hard to even talk and drive at the same time. I usually have to focus on what I am doing and the only time I do two things at the same time is when I am watching television. I always have to have something else to do while I watch TV.

Anonymous said...

I think it's safe to say that you are the "queen" of multi-tasking. I've seen you in operation, and it never ceases to amaze me how you can be doing so many things at once. I do multi-task, particularly at work when juggling is the only way I can survive without a meltdown, but I always feel that I'm not doing the best job I can when I'm trying to do too many things at the same time.

Paula

Anonymous said...

The only time I multitask well is on Thursday and Sunday nights.
I watch 3 entire TV shows in 2 hours and 20 minuets!!! LOL
I Tivo them and can watch one while the other is on and not loose my place on either of them. I switch at commercial time!!) LOL

Producer J. said...

*note to self: Must get TiVo with income tax return.

Anonymous said...

You are insane! :P

Don't forget Queen of Outlet Mall Shopping. ;)