Tuesday, November 11, 2008

11/11/2008

FIRST OFF -- Do not forget the Chevy Kick off to the CMA's - heard live on Highway 16 today beginning at.... 5pm Eastern.

Checkin' in from Music City.... busy day at the office yesterday! Listened to Kenny, Jason Aldean, Carrie, Trace and Miranda do sound checks through the arena walls. No sound of special guest, unless you count the spirit of Bob Marley, whom I presume was there on video tape.

Trace came by the studio to cut a Release Day Rest Stop. He's such a great voice to put on the radio... his reads were perfect the first time, his soundbites were funny or poignant, or both.

Jon cut a Driver's Ed with Randy Houser yesterday, lots of great programming coming your way. Today my first project is building a Taylor Swift ShortCuts.... her record label didn't release the music in advance, so we had to put the show off until after the album hit stores. No worries, I'll get the show built -- nothing else going on this week right?

Lots of parties last night -- Kenny did a "surprise" show at Tootsies, Kevin Coster was a few doors down at The Stage, and Blake Shelton lit the fire to showcase his upcoming CD Startin' Fires. I went to Blake, and then came home and helped Delaynie with a school project. Good BBQ, probably the best meal I'll have all week.

Just between us... I'm a little sad today. I remember watching satellites go up via webcasts... I remember the launch that was supposed to happen on September 12, 2001 and had to be postponed... I remember the list of first songs played on each channel... and I remember hundreds of guests that have come through our studio when we were a brand new company, from Willie Nelson, John Conlee and Loretta Lynn to Pat Green and Jack Ingram (before they went mainstream) and Bruce and Charlie Robison.

As excited as I am about what we're going to unleash tomorrow, today I'm listening to people do their last shows and I'm a little sad to say goodbye to the past 7 1/2 years of Radio to the Power of X.

9 comments:

Pam said...

Can't wait to et Randy's new CD. Heard the MArk Wills shortcuts yesterday as i was driving from New Braunfels to the far side of San Antonio. I pre-ordered the CD so I had it a week ago Monday but it was great to hear the stories behind the songs.

Paula said...

I'm interested in hearing more from Randy Houser besides the single that's on radio now so will look forward to Shortcuts when it airs. When I first heard the song, I thought it was a new single from Buddy Jewell. Thanks to XM (oops, SiriusXM) and the song information that displays on my radio, I realized it wasn't Buddy at all. I tried to see if I could listen online to clips from the CD, but neither his website nor Amazon had anything.

Hope to catch some of the kickoff when I get home if it's still airing after 5. One of our terrestrial DJ's is down there interviewing artists, etc., for the morning show. If you see a perky blonde, that might be Lori Grande from WKLB (sorry for the blasphemy, but I have to listen to JW and Lori in the morning). How did shopping go for your outfit?

Yes, the anticipation for tomorrow is growing, although I wonder why some official information hasn't been sent to subscribers prior to the switch.

Paula said...

Edit...Driver's Ed, not Shortcuts.

Paula :o

Producer J. said...

>>although I wonder why some official information hasn't been sent to subscribers prior to the switch.<<

Because then everyone would flood us with griping before they even had a chance to listen and see what the new offerings are. No sense alarming the masses.

For instance... people that see the lineup are already complaining about Prime Country and their narrow playlist. The reality is, it's US Country's database of music. New name, new DJ's... exact same music library.

Sean Harding said...

Do you know (and can you say) if the Sirius lineup (including channel numbers) will be the same? Everything I've seen published so far has been written from the perspective of what changes will be happening to XM radios, but no one has confirmed if exactly the same thing is happening to Sirius radios. In any case, I'll be happy to be able to get "The Highway" (I'll miss the 16) in my cars.

Producer J. said...

Sean, hopefully you've seen the lineups posted around the net by now.

Sirius has 2 less music channels (because they have 2 more Canadian channels) but the channels are not (yet) on the same number on both services.

That's why we had to go with The Highway. (Sirius 60 / XM 16) Have I blogged about how the channel got it's name yet? I dreamed it!

Sean Harding said...

I still haven't seen a Sirius-specific lineup online, but I've seen the XM one. Same channels on different numbers is pretty much what I expected. I'm surprised they decided not to officially notify customers before such a big change, but I'm still excited.

Producer J. said...

I have one at work... I can email it to you tomorrow if you still can't find one.

Sean Harding said...

Thanks! I assume it'll pop up on the official site soon, but if it doesn't and if you have a chance to send it that would be awesome. Not sure if you can see my email or not, but it's sharding@dogcow.org