Sunday, November 16, 2008

I'm exhausted - and it's Taylor Swift's fault

This weekend, for the first time in the past few weeks, I didn't have to go in and work on Saturday. I had a real day off. I didn't even have a show or two that I had to write on Sunday. In fact, I didn't even bring home any production to write, shows to edit or photos to caption. I was merely going to relax and think about anything BUT mergers, new channels or websites that need to be updated.

Friday night I took a couple of benadryls after dinner (I'm sick again... or maybe still... I can't keep track) thinking I'd be going to bed nice and early. However... I made a fatal error in judgement that caused that plan to fail.

I gave Delaynie the new Taylor Swift CD Fearless.

Now... this in itself wouldn't have been a bad thing. She was listening to the music while she was cleaning her room. She cleans better to music, she tells me, so I'm thinking this is a win win situation.

After a while Delaynie comes downstairs and starts talking to me about the music. She loves lyrics where the girls aren't like everyone else, when they laugh at the girls who think they're so cool. This is the kid who had me custom order the phrase "Dare to Be Different" from Uppercase Living for her bedroom wall, because it was her "motto." Taylor is the poster child for daring to be different, after all how many high school freshmen were going to Music Row writing appointments? Delaynie can sense all this, and she love love loves Taylor.

It was after a nice musical discussion about the content of the album, accompanied by looking up lyrics and sharing some scoop (thanks to ShortCuts!) I knew about the pictures that I made my fatal mistake.

I told Delaynie about the secret. Secrets.

Secret codes. In the lyrics.

Big mistake.

Big, BIG mistake.

Not that she couldn't know about the secret codes - the actual revelation that they existed was not my mistake.

Telling her about them at 9:30 at night was the big mistake. BIG. Silly me thought it could be a "hey, here's something for you to do tomorrow, now go brush your teeth and get ready for bed" kind of factoid. Because after all... I was going to bed early. Catching up on some sleep.

Ha. Ha ha ha HA!

Not.

1 o'clock in the morning. That's when I finally insisted that she stop the madness with just a couple of songs left to decode. And that is why I was completely exhausted the rest of the weekend.

I do have to admit... her enthusiasm about trying to find all the letters was adorable. And a little contagious. She'd get so excited when she'd get one figured out. For those of you who don't know, Delaynie has really bad eyesight - even with her glasses, due to a defect that can't be corrected. And those lyrics are in little bitty letters. After a while I made her go get her magnifying glass, but even then, those capitol "I"'s were tricky!

I have to admit, there are worse ways to spend a Friday night then giggling with your daughter as you google "Love and Theft" because you can't stand not knowing what that means. It was probably the most fun I'd had in a month. And Delaynie's already planning to write Taylor a letter about it all.

But get this... in the process of this detective work, she of course decided that she had to get her best friend Hope the CD for her birthday the next day so that Hope could decode all the secret messages too. We had already gotten her a Hannah Montana shirt, so I casually asked who was cooler - Taylor Swift or Miley Cyrus.

"Well I've never met Miley, but I feel like I've got a connection to Taylor because we've talked. So other kids probably think Miley is cooler, but I know that really, Taylor is."

Delaynie told Hope about the secret codes, so I'm sure one night soon, my friend Dianne is going to lose sleep while her daughter tries to find all those capitol I's. And she too will be exhausted the next day.

And it will be all Taylor Swift's fault.

14 comments:

Kendel said...

Aww cute!! I love that Delaynie is soooo excited about Taylor and her lyrics. I remember being that way about Reba growing up, except I didn't analyze lyrics or I wouldn't have sang "The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter" at my elementary school's talent show. Haha.

I hope she writes that letter to Taylor and gets a reply. :)

Paula said...

I listened to shortcuts last night and was going to ask you about the secret codes. Although you didn't get the sleep you were hoping for, that was definitely some cool mother/daughter bonding time.

I was also going to comment on Storme's question to Taylor about the cover picture. I'm going to wager that was not a question he came up with. :p

Hope you're feeling better.

Paula

Producer J. said...

LMAO Paula! Busted!

It's funny, but a lot of people don't realize that show is completely scripted.

Jon threw out a line during the Mark Wills show introing one of his songs as "Mark Connick Junior." Mark busted up laughing and Jon gave the credit to me, and Mark was all surprised that it was scripted. hee hee hee.

Kendel -- I sang Coward of the County!

sandi said...

The shows are scripted? I would have never guessed. :)

Taylor may not be the most perfect singer, but she makes up for it in other ways. I'm glad Delaynie had such a great weekend, and you too!

Jona said...

Sounds like you had a great time, even though you didn't get to catch up on your sleep :)

With the risk of sound stupid, which I am at time to time, what is "the secrets about lyrics"? Codes? Never heard of it...

DaveBrz said...

Cute story - speaking of being exhausted, could someone remind me that I am getting too old for these long trips to see someone then be at work early the next morning.

Paula said...

Dave, you're getting too old for these long trips to see someone then be at work early the next morning. Was Kathy Mattea in the area?

DaveBrz said...

Nope - went to see Marty Stuart and Travis Tritt. Then do again this week going to see Lady A and Jason Aldean.

. said...

Figuring out all of the secret codes was so much fun. Everyone in the study room at my sorority was sitting around trying to figure it out together, and we too googled the "Hey Stephen" code. I'm glad you and your daughter had fun with that also.

Sean Harding said...

Scripted??? The magic is totally ruined now. Next you're going to tell me that Taylor wasn't actually in the studio live when I listened to the show...

BTW, speaking of live, if she didn't already see it, Delaynie might enjoy this video chat Taylor did last week: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/taylor-swift-live

Producer J. said...

Ok, now that's what I love to hear - college kids love Taylor too! Welcome StarWarz! You should search this blog for Taylor, I've got some other stories in here.

For those that don't know... because you were out feeding the poor and clothing the homeless and therefore have a good excuse for not listening to my Shortcuts... Taylor puts all her lyrics in lowercase letters... except for certain letters. The CAPITOL letters spell out messages.

Go get a copy of the cd (she did this on her last one too) and see for yourself. It's great entertainment for a Friday night!

Producer J. said...

Sean -- thanks for the link! We watched part of it... Delaynie especially loved it when her pets would make an appearance. :-)

Sean Harding said...

That was my favorite part too ;-)

. said...

Thanks for the tip J. I love the story about how she was so nice to your daughter. I love it when kind/talented people are successful and she (seems to) fit the bill.