Monday, November 03, 2008

Late Night Ramblings

It's been a while since I late night rambled. Lots to ramble about, if my brain can unscramble enough to ramble.

I sat in NINE channel meetings today. Nine. (Not all of them country.) My eyes began glazing over, I know it. I tried to figure out a way I could secretly be writing a Faith Hill ShortCuts while Jon was reading channel descriptors to us off of PDF's, but I figured I'd get busted.

Saturday I went in to the office and worked a few hours, and Kyle Cantrell was there. Not much of a surprise, I'd stopped in the previous Saturday after doing my 5 Mile and he was there then too. I don't know how long he was there the previous week, but this Saturday he was AT the office at least 10 hours that I know of, and then he went home and knocked out some more work. Have I mentioned that I just can't WAIT until I can tell you what he's been doing?Y'all just would not BELIEVE how painstakingly he's been dedicated to this. Oh my goodness I'm so excited - for all of you out there that will soon get to enjoy the fruits of his labor.

My project of late is something called EPG. Would you like to guess what that is? Nothing related to EPT's. Electronic Program Guide. If you go look at, say the Highway16 Web Page, you'll see the scrolling guide that talks about what's on at specific times tonight. I update those with the episodic show information normally (like ShortCuts / Driver's Ed for 16 or Studio Special for 14) which is a very simple process because the bulk of the work was already done for me. Well this week I've been building those grids from scratch... I've got 4 of them done so far... 2 more to go I think. I saved the 2 channels I know the least about for last, LOL.

I also do the top of the page info with the schedules / show highlight information on them. I updated those today with upcoming SC / DE information, they will go live tomorrow. It's funny, because I read on one of the fan message boards today how we'd outsourced our website. Not only are the same in-house people building it that always have, but the programmers have a lot more control over it now than we did even a year ago! In fact, one of the things I did not long ago was add the Taylor Swift and Sugarland photos to the Highway 16 rotation -- and moved Keith Urban up to the first position, just because I wanted a little change.

Ramble, ramble, ramble. Jason Michael Carroll was in our studio last week... I served him and the A&R guy from his label a beer. New ShortCuts on the way from Mark Wills, Taylor Swift, and Blake Shelton. We recorded Taylor FOREVER ago. In fact, I need to go re-edit it, because she talked about how on election day she'll be voting, but she actually wound up voting early, because she'll be in LA tomorrow. Storme Warren hosts that show, which airs the weekend AFTER the album hit stores. (Her record label told us no one was getting the album in advance, so we couldn't do our usual XM WORLD PREMIERE before the CD was released. So if y'all hear the music anywhere this weekend, please let me know and I'll storm 16th Avenue.)

It actually wound up working out better for us that we held it, because that meant we had a spot open for Mark Wills... although it pushed Blake Shelton back a week late too.

What else can I tell you? What else do you want to know? Kevin Costner has a new country CD out... I've gotten it in the mail but haven't had a chance to listen to it.

OH! Oh oh oh. OH! CMA's are next week. Here are some things you need to know:
Chevy CMA Kickoff Concert -- live on Highway 16
Tuesday November 11th.
Hell. I updated our website today and completely neglected to put that on it. Ok, just sent a note to our web team.
Any way -- Rodney Atkins, Heidi Newfield, Eli Young Band, & Kevin Costner & New West. I'll get the time and put it up on the website tomorrow. ;-)

AND... if by chance you are traveling and can't watch the CMA's, you can hear them LIVE next Tuesday night on XM 11 -- Nashville. I guess I need to try to get that on their webpage too... although I'm not sure I have access to that one.

Crap! I just realized I don't have anything to wear to the CMA's yet.

Delaynie doesn't have school tomorrow... so it's going to be a "take your daughter to work" day for me. She does have to go on Veteran's Day (which my husband has off) but not on Election Day. What's wrong with that picture?

I've pretty much decided I'm not voting. Let's face it... the way our electoral college is set up, the popular vote doesn't count anyway. Tennessee is a red state, so if I vote for Obama it won't matter, and if I vote for McCain, it won't matter. So why stand in line?

Go ahead, sling arrows if you must. But I'm not passionately for either candidate and I'm throroughly disgusted by the whole political process. We can raise millions of dollars during a rotten economy to pay for negative political advertising, while people go hungry and live under bridges. The whole country is messed up.

Here's an idea for the next president: Reform election laws, make every vote count, and make this whole process much shorter and cheaper.

I'm Producer J. and I approved this message.

And I'm gonna delete any comments that bloviate negatively on any political candidate, so don't.

UPDATE -- Ok, I voted. And it was kind of a cool feeling to vote in such a historic election, so I'm glad I did. No lines at my polling place, walked right in and did it.

11 comments:

Sean Harding said...

You guys keep beer on hand just in case some artist or label dude needs it? Might help you get better answers out of some artists ;-) We have beer at work too, but we usually save it for about 4pm Friday.

Sirius New Country was playing the heck out of Kevin Costner's album a couple of weeks ago. I wasn't impressed. In fact, that's one of the reasons I haven't been listening to that channel much lately; I felt like I couldn't avoid Costner (and Holler Back which I also can't stand). So I'm not sure if they're still playing it or if the novelty has worn off. He's a good actor, probably a nice guy, but I don't like him as a musician.

Pam said...

Save your ears the pain and DON'T LISTEN to Kevin Costner attempting to sing. UGH SIck of country music becoming a dumping ground.

This is what I tell my husband when he doesn't vote...For the next four years not a word of complaint out of your mouth about who got elected. I wasn't thrilled with either canidate either but one scared me more than the other so I voted.

Pam said...

Oh forgot to mention that I got Mark WIlls new Cd in the mail today.......... love it !! I went for the full blown expensive package with the CD and the fan club membership and the Children's Miracle Network stuff.

Kendel said...

Sadly, I cannot vote thanks to Indiana and someone in their voting office not wanting to do their job. I mailed them a request for an absentee ballot a long time ago. I kept waiting and waiting for the real ballot and it never came. I called them and they claim they have no record of recieving my request. Right.... Of course it was too late for them to send another request form and get the ballot their and back. So, I don't get to vote. Way to go Indiana.

PS> Still can't wait to hear about the exciting changes. And, I got invited to the soundcheck for the Kevin Costner thing, but I have a huge test and presentation the next day and haven't really heard great things about him as a musician. So, I let someone else have my spot. I am curious to hear his album and make my own decision though.

Sharon said...

Not really excited about either candidate package either and if it were just me (or me and my hubby) I'd probably not have voted either. BUT got two kids at that very impressionable age and we are really try to get them to understand how good they have it here in the US and that we CAN choose. Lots of countries can't SO we want them to follow our lead and vote when they get of age....so I voted this morning two kids in tow to 'watch'.

sandi said...

Stood in line for a little over an hour, since we seem to be a "swing state" all of a sudden this year. :) Not too bad, considering the lines they where showing on tv and talking about during the early voting.

BTW, there's someone on PG who just *adores* Kevin Costner (actor and musician). Maybe his rock side is better?

Pam said...

YAY !! I'm glad you voted. Everyone should. I voted early at the county courthouse on the town square. That was kinda cool to.

Main said...

I am glad you voted anyway, J. Well done!

Jennifer said...

Glad you voted J.. my vote for Obama wont count here in TN but I felt like I did my part anyway :) And I did vote for the Senator I want to win.

Paula said...

I stopped by on my way home from work to vote and was in and out in about 5 minutes.

It has been a while since you've rambled...glad you're back. Can't wait to see how everything finally shakes out in your world.

Paula

Producer J. said...

Honestly Sharon, if Delaynie hadn't been off school today, I might not have gone. But I took her with me and let her experience it too, and it was pretty cool.

She watched the results come in tonight and loved seeing the states change color, even though she was cheering for the wrong guy, LOL. Bless her heart.