Monday, November 17, 2008

Road Construction

At last, I have a little time to take you behind the scenes of creating the single biggest country music radio channel in North America -- The Highway. (Although I should note, we were already Top 3 at least before the merger.) I'm so excited about what's been created, and how all of our jocks have this massive audience to talk to every day.

This is part of my personal journal, entitled "The Journey" that I wrote while in the middle of a very long, stressful month that at one point didn't look like it would have a happy ending for me. Technically, my ending is still unwritten, but I'm happy to have made it through the complete lifespan of XM as it's own entity. I was contacted by one of the country music trades last week asking if I was ok and saying they'd be happy to help put out my new contact information. (Which is what they do when someone loses a job.) What's that line about 'reports of my demise are greatly exaggerated?' I tell everyone - I'm going to keep working until someone tells me to stop. LOL So far they haven't. So here's a little peek into my world lately.

This was written 11/5 - a week before convergence.

- J.

From the outside there's a lot of "oh this channel is staying, that channel is going" assumptions about what it all is going to mean. The reality is, 98% of the rumors are wrong. Most of the music channels switched over to our programming system, so even though a channel name (Prime Country) came from Sirius, the music database carried over from US Country, so on that channel, it's exactly the same except for new production. As many of you know, I never liked the USC name, so I was particularly pleased with that decision.

EVERY channel had to have their entire production library re-done. Bluegrass Junction might still be around, but nothing could say Bluegrass Junction on XM... or Track 14... or use our nifty, 7 note audio logo. (There's still hope it will be back, but there are copyright issues that still have to be cleared.) I worked on production for a solid week... and even after I'd gone through everything and wrote, re-wrote, dug up soundbites, and tasked it to the production team, I'd discover pieces that I'd completely overlooked.

Obviously, my vantage point only encompasses what I see in the country neighborhood. I can't begin to imagine how they dealt with things - and continue to do so - in the talk world. There are still contracts to be worked out, shows that have gone away that may or may not return based on whether a deal can be worked out, and every channel continues to be a work in progress.

As I've mentioned here, the message board rumors on what was supposedly happening with The Roadhouse provided nightly entertainment for me.

The Roadhouse has been completely rebuilt. This is what Kyle Cantrell has put hundreds of hours into over the past several weeks. He has built, completely from scratch, the classic country channel that neither satellite service ever had. It is incredibly pure. For those who don't know, Kyle spent years at WSM-AM and the Grand Ole Opry, so this is a labor of love, but also a matter of reputation and personal pride for him. I'm so excited for everyone to hear the end result!

I've saved the best story for last - the naming of The Highway. Early on in this convergence process, Jon pledged to keep the Highway 16 formatics... not only was this his baby, but it was the better brand, the stronger shows. However, we thought we were going to have to move to a new channel number, possibly Highway 60.

One night, I had a dream... and in my dream, I told Jon that a great name for the new channel would be "The Highway" because that way if it had to move again as this merger stuff shook out we wouldn't have to rename the channel again. So the next day at work I told him about my dream. He wasn't too crazy about the idea, he liked identifiying the channel name with the channel number. A couple of weeks later, he learned that the channels would NOT be numbered the same on both services, and voila, The Highway was born.

The funniest thing to me though, is how very unobservant our listeners (YOU GUYS!) are. For the past couple of months, going back as far as the Darius Rucker Driver's Ed, and everything since, we've dropped the "Highway 16" out of our specialty shows, as well as references to the "XM" studios or the "XM Nation." It's JUST been "Driver's Ed" or "ShortCuts"... with casual references to hearing things "here on the highway." In reality... that was so those shows could run again... "here on The Highway!" It forced me to completely re-think my writing... and no one even noticed. Yet the new channel name was right under your nose!

So... where do we go from here? UP! I'm crazy giddy excited about the possibilities. We are the biggest outlets for our respective formats anywhere. Our audience almost doubled overnight. For the Sirius gang, it more than doubled. For the air talent that survived, it's an incredible opportunity to be heard by more people than just about anywhere else, including most syndicated radio. When we encore a Highway 16 show... it's brand new to half the people hearing it. It's been a tough road, and is probably going to get tougher for a while, but I'm so proud to be a small part of this awesome team of programmers. I hope you love what they've put together for you half as much as they've loved creating it for you.

13 comments:

Sean Harding said...

Cool stuff, thanks for posting that! I've seen a lot of complaining on the boards, but I'm stil really happy with the outcome. Of course, that's easy for me to say since I didn't lose any of my favorite channels, and I gained some I like on each side (Willie's Place to Sirius and NPR to XM).

What happens to the songs that have "Sirius" or "XM" inserted into the lyrics (e.g. Little Bit of Life)? Do you just dump those and play the album version? (I wouldn't really miss them -- I actually find that kind of annoying.) Do you guys have all that stuff logged somewhere so you can find it? Will you never play an old ShortCuts with "Highway 16" in it again?

Also, is The Highway's playlist identical to Highway 16's? I think Highway 16's playlist was a bit bigger than New Country's, which is one reason I liked it better.

Sorry, lots of questions :-)

Producer J. said...

Do NOT apologize! I love to answer the questions because I'd much rather the right info get out there than people start assuming they've got it all figured out.

The nature of change is that people complain. I've seen people complaining about how narrow the Prime Country playlist is and they wish we'd have kept USC. The truth is, it's exactly the same playlist as USC, just with a new name!

Same with The Highway. Jay Thomas is still scheduling out of the Highway 16 Database, just had to change out production and he got some additional air talent! Yes, it's a bigger playlist. That's why we did a Top 50 Traffic Report, they did a Top 30 countdown.

Jay did switch out the XM versions of songs (Little Bit of Life, Tim McGraw, Sounds So Good, etc.) There were really only a handful of them, so yes, we're playing the album version now. We don't have access to the Sirius music, they ran on a completely different system than we did, so we don't have any custom versions they ran.

There will be occasions when we run a Highway 16 show, but with ShortCuts, we try to keep current within the past 3 months or so. Since so many albums came out 4th quarter, and we had warning that the change was coming, you probably won't hear many old episodes.

Driver's Ed however, we have less of. So next week, when the Dancing With The Stars finale is on TV, I'm re-running the Julianne Hough Driver's Ed. I tried, but there was no way I could edit the Highway 16 references all out.

I don't think anyone has their head in the sand and is pretending these two services didn't exist separately 2 weeks ago. Similarly, The Best Of Bill Anderson Visits with the Legends will now air on the Roadhouse... even though they all say XM 10 America.

Sean Harding said...

Wow, great info. Thanks again!

bll said...

Sounds like you're still going to be very, very busy. Thanks for the insider's view of how radio works.

Jason said...

As a former intern of yours, I can't believe I didn't pick up on the subtle changes in the dialog in ShortCuts or Driver's Ed. I can't imagine the amount of work it took to remove the XM and Highway 16 branding from everything. I'm still getting used to referring to Highway 16 as The Highway.

I can remember the launch of Highway 16. I will admit I was a little nervous about all the big changes that were coming to the country channels that I have known for so long, but so far, everything sounds great. I'm excited to hear that Kyle is programming The Roadhouse; he's an encyclopedia of classic country and is perfect for crafting this channel. Will he still program Bluegrass Junction too?

Will the In Car Audio's make it to The Highway? I know the old ones started with Highway 16. Take care and talk to you soon.

Jason

Producer J. said...

Awww Jason! So nice to see you here! Yes, Kyle is still programming Bluegrass Junction.

Unfortunately, the In Car Audios have been laid to rest. At least for now. We have a new idea to try when we get to it. The Opry performances haven't made it back on the air yet either, but the production is done, it's just a matter of time.

I was internless again this semester, but I inherited one in the merger. Another guy, none the less!

Don't be a stranger!

Sean Harding said...

I'm sure this isn't within your control, but it would be cool if they'd let you put some of the older shows online. Since they're not getting airplay anyway, it's not going to compete directly with the broadcast content. And it might be a nice way to give potential subscribers an idea of the type of shows they'd get to hear as a subscriber (a little easier than getting the free trial and tuning in when a show plays).

Producer J. said...

Right now I'd just be happy to have our website back to the old look with show descriptions!

We're not licensed to put music online, although I think Sirius did have show clips, so maybe we'll get that down the road too.

JoAnnDiU said...

I for one am so thankful that the XM programing has stayed the same in the merger. I didn't like the Sirius ones at all...
My son in law is having a good time also checking out the new programing. (not country)
He isn't one of the complainers!!!

But most of all I'm happy for all yall who are still with the firm!!!
Love from the Bronx, NY

Sean Harding said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sean Harding said...

I have a request. I'm leaving it here so it's not off-topic (hopefully you'll see it).

I wish Storme's show was moved an hour later, so those of us on the west coast would still be able to listen to him on the drive home (assuming we actually get to leave at 5!). You'd still get the last three hours of the afternoon drive eastern, and you'd get the first three hours of the afternoon drive pacific (instead of two now). And you'd get 14 total hours of drive time across the country instead of the current 13 (you lose one Eastern, but you gain one Mountain and one Pacific).

Please? ;-)

Producer J. said...

Hmm... a good thought, but I think Storme wants to be home in time to put his kids to bed. He really is on the air live 3-7pm Central.

However... you can certainly call him and ask Monday. He puts the request line phone number on the radio display. :-)

Sean Harding said...

Hehe. I'll call him and tell him you think it's a good idea! (Kidding)