Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Back in Nashville - With Answers to Your Questions

I presume by now the obvious things have been passed around the internet, although I haven't had a chance to do much reading. However, there are a few things I wanted to share that might not be "out there" as much.

Before I do that, I have to tell you how AWESOME it was to get to meet Jona, Allison, and Tracey... and see Jen looking like she was going to deliver that baby any second. I waved at Bob & Renee across the arena. Did not meet up with Rachel, but I talked to her on the phone. I couldn't get to her section from where I was sitting.

Downtown KC we found to be very much lacking in good convenient places to eat. There's a place called Willies across the street from the Arena that seemed to be the hot spot - it was packed. We wound up at some fast food style Italian place at Walnut and 12th. Salad was good, no wait to get in. And funny enough, we wound up with the table flag for our order being 77.

We were surprised that there wasn't a big Garthapalooza taking over the downtown the way big events tend to do. Nothing on the outside of the Sprint Center except for the LED above the box office -- lots of sports banners and such, but nothing Garth. No real marquis for the building.

Doors to the arena are supposed to open at 6. They were about 20 minutes late last night, there was some opening night things to work out. Lines wrapped around the block are crazy... go up to the middle section of the Main Entrance and you'll get in much quicker. Honestly, with reserved seats, there's no need to get there at 6... mosey in around 6:45 and save yourself waiting in the cold. And it WAS cold!

The show itself started about 15 minutes late... Trisha performed just under 30 minutes... and then Garth went on right around 9. Of course, had to be done by 11, and he neatly finished up just a few minutes till. Main part of the show was an hour and a half. Will be interesting to see what that big long break in between their sets translates into in the movie theatres.

Everything he played in the main part of the show, not surprisingly, was from The Ultimate Hits. There were several songs he did NOT play, which leads me to believe he's going to change the setlist up every night. Or maybe he just ran out of time.

Trisha flew to Nashville last night after her performance, she had media obligations here in town this morning. So I'm hoping her not coming out to perform something with her hubby will not necessarily be the norm every night.

There were no special guests last night, but do understand... tonight's show is Media Night. Last night was the "knock the rust off' night, with tomorrow being the night most of the press is getting to come in and see the show. So I will be curious to hear how the show is different tonight.

We were very blessed to be well taken care of last night, and being allowed to do the on site reporting that Jon did was, I think, extra cool for the XM Nation. Hope some of you heard it. Garth summoned us backstage prior to the show, and we got to spend some time hanging out in his dressing room, just Jon, me, Mandy, and GB. The first thing he said was "how come YOU guys don't look nervous?" and then apologized that he wasn't going to remember anything we talked about because HE was so nervous. The downside to Leno getting cancelled was he had a lot of extra time that day to get more nervous, he told us. I told him the upside was that those of us who came across the country for Opening Night were really relieved that he was going to show up. ;-) That made him laugh.

One of the things I was able to tell him was the great reaction we'd gotten to our ShortCuts episode, and that we were getting hit by people wanting to know how they could see the new "We Shall Be Free" video. He said they're working on trying to find a home for it that will be as big as that song is. I told him that I just wanted to make sure he knew that the fans were asking for it.

I was very kindly sent home with a generous bag of merchandise -- and wound up wearing my hoodie home because I hadn't planned on room to pack this stuff. Will get a photo of it all later tonight so you can see some for yourself. A correction to an earlier post, it wasn't the 1 artist / decade / 1hundred million on the shirt... it was the 1 artist / 1 city / 9 times slogan (paraphrasing!). When we talked to him about the merch he seemed particularly tickled by the "Cat in the Hat" shirt.

One of the things we wondered going into the show was how well his voice - and his body - would hold up. If you remember the LA Forum show during the C2C specials, he was pretty winded pretty quick. There was none of that last night, his voice held perfectly throughout, and he sounded great. Physically, he's in amazing shape.

The crowd was completely nuts... and he took his time soaking it all in. Before the show even they were loud, the whole arena was doing the wave... they were chanting "We Want Garth" -- it was crazy. During the show it was just non stop thunderous applause after each song. My favorite line of the night was when he grinned and said, almost to himself, "You guys aren't going anywhere, are you?" And man, they were loud singers -- even on "More Than A Memory" they knew all the words. There were times the crowd was louder than he was.

I don't want to use the term "low key" to describe the show, but it was definitely a performance all about the music, not a bunch of flashy tricks, pyro, and videos. There's a Jumbotron screen in the arena that functioned as a closer view, but no video elements. Surprisingly, there weren't commercials for the album - in fact, I don't think Garth even mentioned that it was going to be in stores in a matter of hours. The biggest thing I observed was that he had a comfort level... comfortable on stage, definitely - but more so, comfortable in his own skin.

If you have other questions about the show, feel free to ask.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for your review!!!

I have a quick question about Ultimate Hits: are these tracks the "remastered" versions that were released via Wal-Mart last year or are they the original album versions?

Producer J. said...

I have no idea, LOL. Since we already had those songs in our system, we didn't need to reload them in. I didn't even realize they'd remastered them for WM. I'm no help!

I shall assign you a trip to WalMart to buy the album and report back. :-D

Anonymous said...

Ok I don't understand why he had to be done at 11. Can you explain?

Very cool review... lucky you getting to go backstage! I'll be there Thurday-Saturday at the Hilton to join in on the fun.. can't wait!

T : ) said...

Hey J!

I have been enjoying your blog for a little while now. Thought I'd finally comment to say thanks for such a detailed report back! I am excited to see the merch! Were there any new baseball caps?
I am loving the stage!! I'll be in KC Friday - Sunday nights at the Hilton... and hope to bump into some people there!! My feet are already off the ground!

Glad to hear that Trisha had to fly out last night and could be the reason for no duet.

Thanks again. Add me to the loved shortcuts list. LOL

Take Care, Tammy

Anonymous said...

What was the buzz with crowd after the show?, were people still impressed with the great one?

Producer J. said...

Lots of folks staying at the Hilton! Be advised -- the beds are small!!! The doubles are really more like oversized twins -- I have a full sized bed at home, and this isn't that big. If you're sharing a bed with someone, I hope you like them! Jon had a "King" that was really a queen.

The 11pm thing is a union thing -- if you go to concerts you'll usually note shows end a couple of minutes before the hour so as to not go into overtime. Jon worked a concert recently when he wasn't allowed to go onstage to intro the opening act until it had cleared a certain time so they wouldn't run into extra union fees with the crew. So I'd expect every show to be done by 11pm.

The baseball caps I saw all said "World Tour" on them... not sure if they were new or old. The one I got was tan with a pink G. Very girly. :-D

Everyone I saw was definitely on Cloud 7 after the show. I also go to see the Ireland crew after the show, and got to tell them that I'd told Garth about them.

Anonymous said...

I saw Garth one time when the show couldn't start until about 10 or 10:30 because of technical problems and he played until 1:30 am. Didn't realize this was an issue. So on the weekend when the shows start at 8:00, if Garth doesn't get on stage til 9:15 or 9:30, he will only go an hour and a half? Hope he does a little more than that, we'll see.

Producer J. said...

No, I'm sure it's based on the hours they work... based on Jon's experience with start times. So a later start time means a later end time.

And obviously, sometimes special circumstances may warrant something that means you just gotta pony up for some OT bucks. LOL

Sharon said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE this blog!

Did he say what he'd be doing during the day in Kansas City for an entire week!

Did his kids get to come with him?

Did they tell you before that you'd get to interview him before the concert or do they hunt you down in your seats? I think that 'one on one' time is SO awesome and the fact you can share it with us is WONDERFUL!

Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

cool! Well I hope this weekend Garth has got a lot of dough handy for some OT bucks because we're not letting him leave early. Friday/Saturday are not school nights, so that is no excuse G-man! :)

Can't wait!

Anonymous said...

Comfortable in his own skin is a great way to put it. :D

What a fantastic night--like he's never been gone, but at the same time totally unreal being there.

Come back soon J!!

Unknown said...

J - this is absolutely amazing. You are so sweet and so cool for sharing all of this with us. What an amazing evening and so many more to come. I WISH I could be there for it all, but I will not be greedy. :)

I love what you said about him being comfortable in his own skin. That for me, sums it all up right there. He's in such a good place right now and with everything he has given us throughout the years, he's letting us give him some back. I am just so tickled for him, I can't even express it. Amazing stuff.

WHY ISNT IT FRIDAY YET!!!!!!! :)

Okay - the relived stuff ROCKED today. As I ran all around New England trying to find a dang Limited Edition version of the CD. NOWHERE. Ugh. But I PINK ones in the mail - so amazing.

Producer J. said...

Oh my gosh -- we had NO idea we'd get to see him. Seriously, we were just happy to be there at the show doing our little thing.

Big Machine hooked us up with our tickets, so Mandy came out and found us pre-show and said hello, made sure we were getting everything we needed. Then she came back about 7:15 and said Garth wants you to come back and say hello and gave us backstage passes. Totally a surprise.

And it wasn't an interview -- it was just hang time. I really have no concept of how long we were back there, maybe 10-12 minutes with him, 20 minutes overall. Saw Bob Doyle, Mark Greenwood, Mike Palmer, but not Jimmy.

Saw Trisha but she was huddled with her group right before she went on stage, so we didn't get to talk to her.

Believe me, I know I'm blessed, and going all the way back to the retirement press conference and 100 Million Party, I've been thrilled to be able to share what I can of my life.

Because I know if he could, Garth would do the same for everyone!

To answer your other question, Garth is flying back home each night after the show -- there's a downtown airport just a couple minutes from the arena. He's probably home before most people get out of traffic.

Thanks for listening to Relived Lish -- I think it kind of got buried in everything else going on, and didn't really have the audience it should have. I'll try to promote the replay on Saturday better.

I'm going to WM tomorrow morning to look for my Limited Edition cover, I will pick up an extra if I find it!

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU J!!!!!! *hug*

Anonymous said...

A lot of posters over on the Planet were wondering why Trisa didn't sing with him, so thanks for the explanation.

I can't wait for the 14th when I can see him from a theatre seat. Better than nothing!

J - you now rock more than Rachel ;)

Anonymous said...

I've said it before and I'll say it again....YOU ROCK JOYCE!!

Main said...

How incredibly cool that you got to hang out with Garth! :) And even cooler that you told him about the fans wondering where they would see the new video for "We Shall Be Free".

I love reading the concert reviews, they make me happy and sad at the same time. Happy that Garth is doing so great and that the fans are having such a blast. Sad that I cannot be there.

Thanks for everything, J.!

Anonymous said...

That is so cool that you got to spend some time with Garth before the show....what an awesome review, you covered pretty much everything, thanks!

Anonymous said...

J, what time on Saturday is the Relived show reairing? I missed it today. :(

Producer J. said...

Noon Eastern.

Unknown said...

All I can say is WOW and thanks for the great blogs Joyce. You rock! Since I can't make it there and have to wait for the theater on the 14th, I am enjoying reading about everything. And thanks for sharing the photos as well!

Anonymous said...

Garth did album self-promotion last night, but for the pink album. :) He mentioned that the Komen truck was outside, and how breast cancer affects both men and women, and with 3 little girls (hehehe) at home he's more aware of it than ever. It was very sweet. :)