Friday, November 30, 2007

Big Girls

My daughter is on a field trip today.

Now she's done dozens of field trips by this point in her 5th grade existance. I've gone on probably around half of them. But I'm not on this one. And it's freaking me out a little.

Today, she's in Chattanooga. Which, if you're not fluent in Tennessee geography, is at the other end of the state.

She's about 3 hours away. Undoubtably having the time of her life. With no parent in sight.

Parents were welcome to follow the (charter) busses. Gary took the day off work so we could go. However, his wife couldn't get the day off. So I'm at work, he's at the movies, and our daughter is on top of Lookout Mountain.

*gulp*

I'm consoling myself by spending a couple of hours staring at Gary Allan and Keith Urban tonight. Amy Paige is going with me... no telling what kind of trouble we may get into...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Breath; at some point you will have to 'launch' her; this is good practice. We told our kids they could live at home as long as they needed, but once they moved out, they were out. Paula moved overseas to get her Masters in 1996 and David moved out at 19; both killed us, especially as David struggled a lot to pay his bills.

It was hard to stay firm, but in the end it made the kids step up, and they're lovely adults now.

Main said...

Tina will go on ski-camp this year with school. That is a full week away from home without being with other family members like grandparents.... She has been away on 3 day scouting camps before. What stresses me most, is that she has such a fair skin (she is a redhead) and in the mountains the sun is so strong. So she REALLY REALLY needs to use lots and lots of sunscreen. It stresses me that I cannot make sure myself that she is doing that. Sigh. I feel your pain, J.!

Anonymous said...

How did it all work out?

Producer J. said...

She had a blast, of course. She texted me through the day.

Of course, she managed to forget to take photos, and she lost a couple of things she bought. *sigh*.

But she did come home in one piece.