Monday, November 12, 2007

My Road Trip Souvenir

I am back in Music City... with a very interesting souvenir of my journey.

It happened Sunday afternoon.

Saturday was good... flew in to KC with a plane about half full of people going to the show. Great flight crew... even announced when we were making our decent into "Garth Country."

Nice dinner with my son and daughter-in-law out in Overland Park, at the KC Masterpiece restaurant. (For you non-Americans, KC Masterpiece is a brand of BBQ sauce they sell in the grocery stores.) Potato salad to die for.

Headed back into KC, went to the show. (We'll talk show experiences in another post.) Got to introduce my kids to some of my friends, which makes me happy. It was my DIL's first arena show, and of course, the first Garth show for either of them. I'd sent them the Entertainer DVD, so they had been jamming to Garth for a week. We were up in the rafters, but it was all good.

Drove south to the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night, and then took a left and kept going, eventually wound up in the speck of dust beside the dot beside the mapdot that is their current residence. Met my new grandpuppy, Bruiser. Here you go -- you can meet him too.

Fast forward to Sunday afternoon. Had a GREAT morning... my son is a minister at a tiny church... my third visit there, so I know quite a few people there now. After services, they had their Thanksgiving potluck dinner -- so bonus, a road trip with good home cookin!

So mid afternoon... it's a beautiful fall day in Missouri... the leaves are just gorgeous... I'd spent some great quality time with my kids... I was thinking about the great day I had... I was thinking about the mall I was headed to, so I could pick something up for my KC Chief / KU Jayhawk loving husband... I was thinking about my afternoon plans with a friend I hadn't seen in 2 years... All was right with the world, the radio was cranked up, the adrenaline was flowing, I was flying high.

And ... fast.

Like... 17 miles over the speed limit fast.

Missouri Highway Patrol doesn't seem to care for tourists in rental cars going 17 miles over the speed limit fast, no matter how great of a day they were having prior to the flashing lights.

And that, friends, is how I came home from my Garth road trip with a one of a kind, personalized, $138 souvenir from the state of Missouri.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

ah yes, unfortunately I've gotten a couple of those souvenirs myself... Not a happy "welcome" ,
but I'm glad the rest of your trip was nice :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had such a wonderful experience with your kids! Put a copy of that souvenir in your scrapbook...great memories!:)

Sharon said...

You mean he didn't know WHO you were???? Well dang - we gotta work on getting XM Radio in those squad cars........

he he

Anonymous said...

Wow...you mean those salsa shots didn't take the edge off of that one of a kind souvenir? ;-)

Anonymous said...

Hi !

Glad to hear that you had a great weekend !

Greetings
Cheyenne

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had a great time, even though you got a ticket.
I spent some time on those KC malls too. I couldn't believe how cheap everything was compared to Norway. I had to buy an extra cage to get all my stuff home LOL

Anonymous said...

Ouch, J!! Sorry about the ticket.

SPILL on GARTH, girl!!!! I've never seen him live, tomorrow I'll be in the theatre 10 minutes from home getting a fix.

I want first hand reports J!

Anonymous said...

Awww, what a cute puppy!!

Main said...

Better get a souvenir like that on a day when everything else is going your way than on a day when everything is going badly for you already ;-)

Glad you had a great time! :)