Monday, January 07, 2008

Hidden Gems

Before I get to the meat of this post, can I just vent for a second? Of course I can, it's my blog. I watched Johnny Cash from San Quentin on CMT tonight. And what to my wondering ears did I hear, but of course, the ever so distinctive voices of The Statler Brothers, who spent many years on the road with Johnny. Barely in the mix, but I can pick out Don Reid's voice anywhere. Do you think I caught a single glimpse of them during the hour? It's kind of like Walk the Line... they've somehow completely been cut out of the Johnny Cash history. Grr.

Now on with our regularly scheduled rambling.

I've spent a lot of time over the past couple of weeks digging for hidden gems. Mining audio, if you will.

As part of our programming as the Satellite Radio Home of the Grand Ole Opry, (a title so grand it has to be capitalized) the Opry has been sending us select performances from their archives. Basically they send us hard drives full of songs they've cherry picked from 2000-2007. So once they get ripped into our system, I get to dig through them and find things that fit on my channel, US Country.

So far I've made three passes through the folder, doing my own little cherry picking. (Because I don't want to get 9 Alan Jackson songs ready for air and not get to Vince Gill. So I go through and find some girls, some guys, some groups and do a batch.) It's time consuming to build the waveforms for each song (which has to be done at the fast studio or Marty cuts off my chocolate) and then put on all the metadata and display information, and then there's the minor detail that you really have to listen to at least part of the song to make sure it's something you want to put on the air. Because here's a little secret you may not know about entertainers. Not all of them sound good singing live.

Sometimes it's just a matter of someone sounding like they have a cold or something, and there was one group's performance where the lead singer was just buried by the band. There was an Achy Breaky moment that was just... wrong, on so many levels. My favorite (or not!) though was the female singer that sounded SO terrified, her voice was completely shaking. Those are the ones that didn't make it on the air. Most of them are stellar though, like Garth doing "The Dance" on the Saturday late show, and every single thing I've listened to so far by Diamond Rio.

Along the way I've uncovered some really neat things, although not all of them necessarily fit on US Country. Craig Morgan and Ray Price singing "Crazy Arms." Keith Urban and Ricky Skaggs joining together for "Highway 40 Blues." Big & Rich doing "Save A Horse" in a swing style. Garth at the 80th Birthday celebration doing the cutest (8 minute!) version of FILP. Vince Gill talking about Ray Charles the day he passed away. Historical moments, captured forever.

These have been on the air since US Country came back from Christmas vacation, but I've upped the frequency of them now that I've got a pretty good pile of them ready to go, they're hitting about every four hours. They're a pain in the butt to schedule - and even more of a pain to mix in the logs - but I think they're totally worth it, and are going to add a lot to a channel that really is not much more than a Jukebox. (If I had my way, XM17 would be renamed The Jukebox.) So be listening for them and let me know what you think.

Tomorrow we discuss how NASCAR, an Earnhardt, and talking vegetables fit into my week.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

How cool to be able to listen to Grand Ole Opry's hard drives. :) I sure would have loved to hear the 8 minutes FILP.

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to hear those hidden gems!!! You guys are awesome! :D

Anonymous said...

WOW, and you call that a JOB?? LOL

I'm still don't understand how a person or group's lead singer is constantly off in live performances and is THE top of the game??

Paula said...

Who is Marty and how dare she/he cut off your chocolate? That's like grounds for...something evil.

Any chance we can get a heads up when that 8-minute version of FILP will air? Would love to be sure to catch it and re-live that moment and will look for the other hidden gems on the Jukebox Channel.

"Tomorrow we discuss how NASCAR, an Earnhardt, and talking vegetables fit into my week." Will this also include any Garth connection?

JoAnn, whoever are you talking about? :p

Paula

Anonymous said...

JoAnn--I'm SO with you!! EWWWW!!!!

Sharon said...

Do these clips include all the stuff that happens when they are not on the air - the filler that the audience gets but not the radio or tv? THAT would be some great stuff to hear - especially in the early years - some of those that weren't big yet - but are now and they weren't part of the 'live broadcast'. LOVE the Opry!

DaveBrz said...

Guess I will have to start tuning back in.

J, you are right about artists not sounding good live - I've been to many shows where the artist is nasaly sounding or where the band over powers the artist. A an example was a show where Kathy Mattea opened for Randy Travis here and Kathy's set was fine but once Randy came on, you could not make his vocals out well. It all has to do with the artists sound person who can make the artist sound good or not.

Anonymous said...

Or Pro Tools.

Producer J. said...

LOL, y'all are funny.

Marty is Marty Fitzpatrick from XM X-Country. He's a fellow chocolate lover and frequently brings me special treats. However, when I build waveforms over here at the Music Row location, it totally locks up the whole system, and then no one is pleased with me. LOL

Producer J. said...

Would you care to explain why you have STOPPED tuning in David?????

FILP is in the Opry donut Sunday around 10:30ish Eastern.

DaveBrz said...

Nothing to do with the station, I do listen some at work between calls but do listen to hockey talk on 204.

Anonymous said...

Is it possible to listen to US Country online? If I subscribe at xmradio.com?
And do you know if it works on the internet browser "Safari"? The aol ones only works at "firefox" (on Mac).

Paula said...

I'm guessing I should probably know the answer to this, but I don't. What's FILP the Opry donut Sunday?

Paula

Paula said...

That question should have read - What's the Opry donut Sunday?

Paula

Anonymous said...

Well, thank you Sandi!! that's the first I've hears ANYONE out side of my NYC gals to agree with me....

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to hear all of this now that I have my XM back - woo hoo (J there is NO local weather when you need it in the cornfields. But you can hear the grain prices!) Of course, I was stuck at O'Hare for 4 million hours and missed Miss Yearwood's special but it WILL air again, right? ;)

Opry hard drives has got to be THE COOLEST - luck you, girl! Thanks for the heads up on the donuts... whatever that means. :)

Joann and me - I third that! Seriously what the heck?

J - hope you avoided the stinking white stuff in Illinois - what a mess.

Producer J. said...

Woops -- Sorry! There's a little intro (another exclusive performance from the stage of the grand ole opry!) and an outro (don't miss the live performances of the Opry...) that wrap around each performance. We call that a donut -- the song fills the hole in the middle. ;-)

'Lish we had snowball fights and made snow angels, and then had to drive home in the stinkin' white stuff.

Anonymous said...

J--where are the pics?? :P