Wednesday, January 16, 2008

The Return of the Ramblings

My guest room is open again. We've had more people come stay with us in the 5 months we've lived here than we had the previous 5 years at our old house. And I love it!

So over the past few days, Ashley, my very first intern, came to town, job hunting. She put out a TON of resumes while she was here, had 3 interviews, and has one very good possibility. So we shall see how it works out. I think she may be back next week.

What I really SHOULD have had her do while she was here though, was guest blog. Because our running joke while she was here was teasing my almost-eleven-year-old about how very cute we thought Chuck Wicks was, and how crazy she was for not seeing it. Clearly I need to work on her taste in men. Dark hair, dark eyes, cowboy boots, and a little bit of scruff... Chuck falls squarely into my Troy Gentry mold of men.

Chuck, if you're not familiar, sings the song "Stealing Cinderella," which was inspired by his real-life girlfriend, who worked as Cinderella at Disney World. However, if Ashley HAD blogged for me, I'm sure she'd have left out the part about how Prince Charming was shamelessly flirting with her. I can testify to that because I was right there in the room as it was happening. Although Chuck didn't seem to notice my existence after I introduced him to Ashley.

In case you were wondering, Chuck (why didn't they give him a stage name?) is every bit the hottie in person as he appears on the pages of Country Weekly. He sounds good live too -- check him out on the Brad Paisley tour, which kicks off tonight in Denver. He literally left our studio to go to the airport to fly out there.

Our studio time backed up to Rascal Flatts being in studio, and the guys all seemed to know Chuck - probably because they share producers. It was kind of nice to see these mega stars taking the time to talk to the new kid - and his musicians. He probably left there, called Cinderella and told her all about it. Probably didn't mention Ashley.

Come to think of it, the Flatts boys didn't seem to notice I was in the room either. That's me... Mrs. Invisible.

Which brings us to Mrs. Flatts. My life has completely changed since Christmas, when I received the gift of TiVo. I'm forcing myself to watch tv now - backseat producing the whole way, of course.

CMT Insider - which I hadn't seen in... MONTHS... has these weird disjointed segments where suddenly someone besides Katie Cook is hosting. Now Katie doesn't seem to ever "toss" to these guys, so I'm thinking she might not even know that they're there. However, they are. A guy, and a girl, and the girl happens to be a Mrs. Flatts -- Allison DeMarcus.

Mrs. DeM was very good on camera, and even filled in for Katie on one episode. And I firmly believe she should be judged on her merits... not by who her husband is. HOWEVER... this week (when she filled in for Katie) there were a couple of RF stories that she did, including one where she referenced talking to Joe Don's wife about the baby ("Tiffany told me... "). It just seemed a little odd that she didn't fess up to her connection to the trio.

I have also decided that Storme Warren has the best job on the planet. Every time I see him on TV he's somewhere exotic. Ok, exotic might not be the best word for it. Most of it's exotic -- cruise ships, Caribbean islands, Colorado mountains. But then, he went to Iraq. Not exactly exotic. I've long since thought Storme was the coolest person on TV... he might just be the coolest person in America. I'm so excited to hear about his trip.

Since the work day is over, I now count it as EIGHT more days until I move out of the Country Music Hall of Fame. Not that I'm counting. I keep expecting that I'm going to get a little sad about it. I've worked in that building for over 6 1/2 years - longer than the majority of their staff! Tomorrow I'm planning to spend the day packing.

Well, most of the day. I HAD planned to spend the day packing until JoAnn reminded me that tomorrow was Crook & Chase taping day. Which means I can't wear the sweats I was planning to wear into the studio. Or if I do, I need to bring a change of clothes. I'm really excited that they're back on TV again, but I really wish it was on a station that more than 10 people get in their homes. RFD? Really? I'm hoping this is a "launching" pad to bigger and better things. I don't really know Charlie other than to say Hello, but I love Lorianne. Last time I saw her was that the Keith Urban post-show party.

Sitting here just now, it occurred to me that I've never met Lorianne's husband. I need to pass along a "thank you" through her to him for all those years of Statler Brothers TV shows - and other great country music programming that Jim Owens has given us through the years. When I moved to Nashville wanting to be Jon Small, (who I saw in the parking lot of Cummins Station yesterday and was too shy to say hello) the game plan was that I would work for Jim Owens. Funny how clueless I was.

And that brings me to my final rambling for the night (told ya that you wouldn't be able to shut me up!) A 7 season streak has come to an end. Up to this point, my only exposure to American Idol (other than working with Carrie Underwood & Kellie Pickler) has been watching a few minutes of the auditions they did in Nashville a couple years back, and watching the last 10 minutes of the show that Carrie won. (That would be a funny column to go back and dig up!)

The other day, the 'tween in my house says to me on the way to school "Do you think we should watch American Idol this year?"

Me: No.

You see, Delaynie doesn't get to watch TV on a school night. She's not missing anything, because everything she watches airs on the Disney channel, which repeats things ad nauseum all weekend long. Between that and Animal Planet, she's good. As it is I'm forcing myself to make the time to sit down and watch TV shows that I like... I sure don't want to add something I could care less about to the mix, just because every other human being in America is doing it.

Ha!

So Tuesday night, while Ashley, the unemployed reality show junkie is here... we turn it on. Before long... Miss D. has parked herself in front of the TV. (Not for long, mind you!) It's like a train wreck you can't stop watching. It was very interesting to me from the perspective of figuring out how on earth they put that show together. However, it was an hour and a half of my life I can't ever get back.

And the first thing Delaynie said to me tonight when I picked her up was "no homework tonight, can we watch American Idol after choir practice?"

Me: No

Ha Again!

14 comments:

DaveBrz said...

Thanks for the heads up on C&C, as I had no idea they were going to be on RFD which I do get so I set the DVR to record.

Main said...

Idols, well at least you can laugh when they show the ones that didn't make it to the show! ;-)
And it is a child safe show. Not like Dr. House... which has peaked Tina's interest at the moment. Now I have season 1 & 2 on DVD since Christmas and I try to watch when the kids are not around. But of course that doesn't always work out. So she saw a bit of one episode one day and now she is asking me if she can see the whole thing. I checked the label... and it says you gotta be 16. So Tina has to wait another 6 years! :O

What impressed me though, is that I watch the show in the original language (yes, English) and Tina understood a lot of it! Enough to be interested in it. That made me kinda proud. LOL!

Jona said...

I don't watch idol either, not the American or the Norwegian. My kids like it tough.
I have never heard of Chuck before. I have to check him out.

Producer J. said...

You get RFD in CONNECTICUT and I don't get it in Nashville???

Paula said...

Okay, I don't have time to comment on all of this (work beckons)...will come back tonight, but I've got to check out this Chuck dude. He's much better looking than Troy, and I have heard Stealing Cinderella so his voice is definitely listenable.

Also, when you listed your notes of things to blog about, the first thing I thought of when you listed American Idol was train wreck. I just can't prevent myself from watching it. I should just wait until they get to the final 12 and watch it then...of course, it would be much better without the endless commercials. I do remember the year that Carrie won...I liked her from the very beginning when she auditioned. So far, there are two or three that I hope to see in the Top 24.

...and yes, :p to not getting RFD in my area. I'm banking on lots of details from those who are going.

Paula

Anonymous said...

We get RFD in the cornfields... but, of course, I'm not there right now. :) I'm particularly fond of the polka hour.

I'm very excited that C&C are back- they are sorely missed.

Let's see... Prince Charming is a hottie... ALL if CMT is disjointed and you have to try REALLY hard to witness any fleeting moment of music on there... Idol is painful... and yes, I have a secret crush on Storme Warren.

Welcome back!!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Yeay, a blog! And Yeay for Ashley!

I bet the RFD network is owned by Lorianne's hubby. :P

Unknown said...

Love your blog J! I check it out quite often - just don't comment regularly. I agree about Idol - I have never gotten into that show.

And Chuck - love that song and he is a total hottie!

But I am soo excited to have Crook and Chase back on tv! I have been a fan of theirs since I first got into country music. While most people want to be singers, I just wanted to be Lorianne and interview and hang out with the stars. LOL! Still hoping I can make my dreams come true someday soon. I am working on it. By the way, I also would LOVE to have Storme's job!! LOL! Luckily I have directv and can catch RFD, which reminds me a bit of the TNN of old. Aah, the good old days of TNN and the old CMT.

DaveBrz said...

Only reason I get RFD is that I have Directv.

As for Idol, I don't think I have watched more than 15 minutes since season 1 as I would rather see an artist that can play their own instruments and not just sing to recorded music.

Anonymous said...

Your welcome!! LOL Glad I could be of some help.

As for Chuck Wicks. I started to watch a show called Nashville at the start of the new season in and around Sept. It was about trying to get into the Country Music business. They pulled it after about 3 shows. BUT Chuck was one of the people they were following.

He is very cute!!

OK... I'm an Idol junkie. I don't like the way they exploit people but when the show gets under way I like watching the process of how say a [Carrie]or [Kelli] mature.

Anonymous said...

Your welcome!! LOL Glad I could be of some help.

As for Chuck Wicks. I started to watch a show called Nashville at the start of the new season in and around Sept. It was about trying to get into the Country Music business. They pulled it after about 3 shows. BUT Chuck was one of the people they were following.

He is very cute!!

OK... I'm an Idol junkie. I don't like the way they exploit people but when the show gets under way I like watching the process of how say a [Carrie]or [Kelli] mature.


I have DirecTV and get RFD_TV!! Wooo Whoooo

Anonymous said...

Idol, ugh! Once they start editing its no longer 'real'.

I wish C & C would be back on a mainstream cable outlet. I have a lot of GB on tape from their old show.

Paula said...

I keep forgetting to watch CMAA. If something isn't scheduled on a regular basis, I forget to tune in. I could never remember when Thursday came around if the show was a re-airing of the prior week or if it was a new show. I do like Storme...wish he kept up his blog. He put up a new one before the KC shows and I commented, but the comment never showed up.

I hardly ever watch CMT. I used to think the initials stood for Country Music Television, but you could fool me.

Happy packing...we'll be doing that in four months. I'm not looking forward to the weeding and purging or the packing and unpacking.

Paula

Sharon said...

We get RFD here in the Midwest but you have to buy the 'extended' channels from the cable company.

Luckily - we took that option! Love Crook and Chase.