Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Oh Happy Day

Today was one of those days. You know. THOSE days. Like a Monday, but on a Tuesday. However, I took Monday off and did fun things like pay bills and tour a potential new school for Delaynie. So even though it was technically Tuesday, it had all the makings of a Monday. And then some.

As previously mentioned, we've vacated our digs at the Hall of Fame. There's a demolition crew of engineering types removing equipment from there this week. All of the XM Nashville staff is currently working out of our secondary location -- aka "the slow studio." No biggie... there is so much bright beautiful light at the end of our tunnel that we're all happily co-habitating under one tiny roof.

Well. mostly happily. There were some unhappy moments there today.

Our computers were running pretty sluggish all morning, and then they went away. Poof! Gone! Disconnected to the Mother Ship. Woops. Someone unplugged something across town they shouldn't have. Reboot, re-sign in, reload everything, redo what you lost. Eventually we are up and running again.

Slowly.

For a while.

Till it goes away again. Deja Vu.

So engineering needs to take our system down to do some repair. However, we just got back up. It's 12:45. In the nearly 3 hours I'd been at work, I'd gotten one log done. We agree that we'll work frantically until 1:30, and then they'll take us down for about 30 minutes, and we'll come back good as new.

12:52 several musicans walk in. With instruments. For a 2pm session.

Woops, the record label guy told them 1pm. They make themselves comfortable at our conference table and get out the strings.

And start picking.

Tuning.

Talking.

Meanwhile my phone keeps ringing and the clock keeps ticking and I'm working fast and furiously to get a log finished before they take the system away again. Which is a little difficult to do when you can't hear yourself think.

1:29 we're all out of the computer pool. 2pm our bluegrass session starts. Still no word that the system is back up. I fire up my laptop, swipe someone's wireless, and work on some email bookings. Marty works on a list of artists he wants me to book and then reads the paper. We twiddle our thumbs waiting for the phone to ring to say it's safe to dive back in.

Clock keeps ticking. Finally we try out the system and we get back in. Still isn't running any better. About 3:30 we discover why.

They hadn't gotten around to working on it yet. Which would have been fine if they'd told us. But they didn't. The words that came to my lips are not fit for me to print here. I have zero patience when people have no respect for other people's time. By the time they got around to taking it down they couldn't get very far because everyone on the east coast went home for the day.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat tomorrow.

Light at the end of the tunnel. Keep on shining!

There were a couple of bright spots in my day. First off, I got to oogle Gary Allan in the flesh. Mmmmmm! That made it worth getting up this morning.

Second, Marty hurled chocolate at me in the middle of the pandemonium.

And thirdly, I got THIS in the mail.



All is well with the world.

Well, except for the fact that my mortgage company lost the paperwork I spent a ridiculous amount of money to overnight them so we could refinance our house at a lower interest rate, AND I've spent forever trying to figure out these crazy travel arrangements I've been given that takes me longer to get from the airport to company HQ than it does to fly across the country.

The book, however, is great.

7 comments:

music said...

Yummmm Gary Allan, please tell us more! Will he be on a program anytime soon?

Sharon said...

This little light of mine... I'm gonna let it shine...this little light of mine...

oops - sorry - was what I thought with the light comment! But hey - it's a happy upbeat song.

Keep plugging - can't wait to see pictures of the new digs.

Tell me is there ANYTHING in the book you didn't already know?

Producer J. said...

The studio we use for our bluegrass sessions is the same studio Lon Helton uses for Country Countdown USA. We were back to back yesterday... yay for me!

Today he had Brad Paisley in, although that show isn't airing for a while.

Sharon, I'm really NOT a Statlers expert. I have a TERRIBLE memory for dates, details, etc. I can tell you the exact tone of voice someone uses or the expression on their face when they said something to me, but for the life of me, I won't be able to tell you the date they said it on. LOL. So therefore, even stuff I know... I don't retain.

Believe it or not, I can't even tell you which Garth songs came off which album for the most part. And don't even ask me what order they came out in!

The book IS awesome. And I found a Garth story in it!

Producer J. said...

P.S. At one point in the middle of more computer exasperation today, I started singing "This little light of mine..."

Kyle laughed.

Jona said...

:) Brad Paisley!

Anonymous said...

Hope your day's going better today!

Anonymous said...

Feel free to share Garth's storyor any other funny from the Statlers. I love Harold.