Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Updates

Poster Update:

A funny thing happened yesterday, after blogging about the posters up on my hallway wall.

I walked out of the studio, the same door I've been walking out of for 6 1/2 years now. And in front of our door is a wall of Hatch Show Print posters that I've been walking by day in and day out. And I notice a poster there for the Hall of Fame's opening day - May 2001.

We used to have one of those in our studio, and we had all of the Hall of Famers that came in sign it. Kitty Wells, Porter Waggoner, Bill Anderson, Willie Nelson, Buck Owens, Loretta Lynn... no telling who else -- seems like there was 8-10 signatures on it, from artists that came in when we broadcast Hank's Place out of Nashville. The poster mysteriously disappeared when XM did some employee pruning several years ago.

At any rate, I now have one of those posters to add to my wall. I've discovered that they sell the Spirit of Nashville posters at the Sommet Center Visitors Center, which I will soon be walking through on my way to work every day. I wonder if we get a discount there?

Now I need to find time to go to Michaels and buy some poster frames!

Nashville Star Update:

I got a little more scoop about Nashville Star since blogging about it a few days ago. I listened to Jewel do an interview with Gerry House on XM 161 the other morning. First off, I have heard Jewel do a couple of other interviews, and up until now, had thought she was dreadfully dull and boring and shy. Hearing her with Gerry, I got a whole other picture of her. She was fun and sassy and very entertaining.

She said that Nashville Star is changing up the format, she will not be hosting, but will be back to be a "mentor." She didn't seem to think there would be a host, but she also said they are doing away with the judges too. Thank heavens!

Alabama Update:

Randy Owen has a new song released to radio called "Braid My Hair." Normally, I rebel against songs that are contrived to be tearjerkers, and this definitely has all the makings of one. I'm not real crazy about the instrumentation... it seems like it's confused as to what kind of song it wants to be. However... lyrically it's pretty damn cool.

If you aren't aware, Randy is the founder of "Country Cares for St. Jude Kids" which raises MILLIONS of dollars for St. Jude Children's Hospital. The proceeds from this song benefit St. Jude, which does amazing work. Visiting the children's hospital will change your life... I've been thinking lately that I need to take Delaynie there, she would love going in and reading to the kids.

Did you know that you can become a St. Jude Partner in Hope for $19 a month? Sixty-three cents a day! They'll automatically withdraw it out of your bank account. Think of all the things you waste $20 on each month! I think it's pretty cool. It's totally Storme Warren's fault that I signed up, and he doesn't even know he gets the credit for it. Check it out at stjude.org.

Back to the boys from Ft. Payne, I was annoyed to see the Alabama Farewell Tour CD from Cracker Barrel on TV last week and see a picture of "Alabama" that didn't include Mark Herndon. Umm... hello? Pretty sure he was on that tour. I did some digging on the internet and discovered he wasn't in either picture on the CD, and apparently, things have gotten even uglier than I realized with that group. Friends shouldn't let friends hire lawyers. It makes me sad.

3 comments:

DaveBrz said...

Never noticed the Hatch print for the opening all the times I have been there but I may get one next time to add it to the official groundbreaking of the HOF on 06/17/99 hanging on my wall.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the Randy Owen/Alabama update. I too am a St. Jude partner in hope. I signed up during my local station's St. Jude radiothon last fall. Like you said, what's $20 bucks a month when you think about what you waste $20 bucks on in a day or two.

I would love to visit St. Jude's one day. Such an inspiring place doing wonderful work. God bless Randy Owen for starting the radionthon all those years ago.

Anonymous said...

I love everything Randy Owen has done for St Jude's, but this song is just, well, not very good. I'm not a huge Alabama fan, but I really expected the song to be more like the music they made.